PDA

View Full Version : Who has a secretary?

promower
12-11-2005, 05:43 PM
This March we move into our shop and we have decided that my wife is quitting her job and will work the office. Shes a bartender now, what she makes barely pays the gas bill lol. For me I love being out in the field, doing the work but when the day is done theres a ton of office stuff, and running around to do, and I will admit it I'm not much for organization, where as :dizzy: my wife is the complete opposite. In addition to this change we will become a one income household which gives us some good tax breaks. So for those of you that have an office person has it made life a lot easier? For me, I just dont have enough time in the day to get everything done and the actual buisness end suffers because it becomes last on my list as getting all the work done is first. I get backed up on office work, disorganized, to the point that I dont even know which way is up

TURF DOCTOR
12-11-2005, 06:02 PM
This should work for you my wife does this man it seems people here love to see family oriented.

nephilim0167
12-11-2005, 06:17 PM
I just hired my girlfriend to be my secretary for my whole life. I give her the paychecks, she organizes and keeps me up to par. Simple as that!

Jpocket
12-11-2005, 06:44 PM
I just hired my girlfriend to be my secretary for my whole life. I give her the paychecks, she organizes and keeps me up to par. Simple as that!

I'd watch that one buddy make sure she feels the same about you as youfeel about her, If you guys split she coukd take your business to down quick, because she knows all the inside stuf.

dsmrolla06
12-11-2005, 07:03 PM
I have an office in my grandfather building. He has a secretary that will be taking calls and such for me while im away. She wont be doing any of the business work, but is helping with the website.

Itsgottobegreen
12-11-2005, 07:15 PM
I hired my mother two years ago to do my books. I just sent her to clips super class here in maryland last week. She keeps me from buying everything. :rolleyes:

J Hisch
12-11-2005, 07:40 PM
I have a administrative assistant, she is not related in anyway, she has a accounting degree, works my A/R, A/P, payroll, tax documents etc. She is a great tool to have becasue she is in no way emotionaly tied to me. She can give me her opinion and if I dont take it I dont have any problems at home. She is the best, I love what she does for my company.

rbriggs
12-11-2005, 07:41 PM
We hired a part time admin assistant at the end of the summer. She works a few hours per day and a few days per week. We increase the hours as necessary. I suspect that we will be increasing her hours quite a bit in the spring and summer.

rbriggs
12-11-2005, 07:44 PM
Here's an interesting article that I read in Pro Magazine that addresses this exact issue.
http://landscapepro.cygnus.proteus.com/publication/article.jsp?pubId=1&id=31

dsmrolla06
12-11-2005, 11:54 PM
Good article. Ive mentioned ideas like those. You only get paid for what you do, and also hiring someone more experienced in certain areas.

AintNoFun
12-12-2005, 08:57 AM
I hired my mother two years ago to do my books. I just sent her to clips super class here in maryland last week. She keeps me from buying everything. :rolleyes:

same here.. i don't think i could be where i am today without her. plus family isn't gonna really screw ya like someone off the street...

P & L Turf
12-12-2005, 07:13 PM
It depends. Sometimes it's me and other times it's my old lady. When I first started out I had my mom helping me out, but now I'd rather my mom not know certain things about the company. She's one of those types that can't justify spending the amount of money on the equipment we need.

DLS1
12-12-2005, 08:39 PM
I would hope you guys have checks and balances to make sure the person doing the books isn't stealing from you.

Now of course Mom or wife wouldn't steal from you. :)

Maybe all mail must be opened buy you before the person doing the books gets the checks to record. I would make a personal copy of anything that gets recorded (checks, credits,etc.) by the hired help. Each month you add up all the checks and subtract the credits using the copy you made and ask the office hired help to show you a report of their checks/credits.

That will hopefully keep them honest if they know their is some type of audit system.

cwlawley
12-13-2005, 12:43 AM
My wife and I are having a new baby in March. She is currently managing a retail store but has decided not to return after the baby comes. She is going to take over all the books, advertisements and calls when she starts feeling better.

This is a huge load off my back. Especially since she is a great promoter and very organized.

GraZZmaZter
12-13-2005, 02:29 AM
Great article!

I refocused a few ideas about what to do (and not do) in business. I excell in sales, so i would love to run around selling my ideas all day.

GraZZmaZter
12-13-2005, 02:16 PM
Man! I read that article and posted last night.

I went to find this thread this today and it took me forever! Now i printed the article out and will use it for future motivation.

GreenMonster
12-13-2005, 02:56 PM
I have a administrative assistant, she is not related in anyway, she has a accounting degree, works my A/R, A/P, payroll, tax documents etc. She is a great tool to have becasue she is in no way emotionaly tied to me. She can give me her opinion and if I dont take it I dont have any problems at home. She is the best, I love what she does for my company.

Smart.

My wife is the closest thing I have to a secretary, and it doesn't work too well. I need to be able to call my secretary to do something for me, and not play 100 friggin questions. She does the books too..... makes things stressful at times, to say the least. I think if you have the capability to hire an outside person for these roles, it's in your best interest to do so.

Mower For Less
12-19-2005, 04:19 PM
I already have a goal in mind. Although I do not currently have a secretary. I hope to one day have a 18 year old blonde secretary with waitress experience, and a pleasant voice. (If anybody has seen the movie "Be Cool" you know the type I am reffering to). My wife however thinks I should hire some ugly old granny.

I have already started working on the help wanted ad:

Secretary Wanted:

Must be young and energetic
Flexebility is a must
Waitressing experience preffered
Willing to train the right candidate

:)

nephilim0167
12-19-2005, 06:37 PM
I'd watch that one buddy make sure she feels the same about you as youfeel about her, If you guys split she coukd take your business to down quick, because she knows all the inside stuf.

Lighten up. I was merely joshing with you guys. :gunsfirin

Coreyb
12-19-2005, 06:52 PM
i break things up a bit. i have a accounting firm take care of payroll, taxes, and keeping my on the good list with the irs. i have a part-time lady take care of invoicing, filing, quick book stuff, etc. i still do my own bank deposits, she inputs the checks, i print them and mail them. i still can't give up some control. it also limits the stealing potential. i also use an answering service. keeps my cell phone from ringing all the time and gives people an actual person to talk to. i find a lot of times, older folks tend to not leave messages.

RedWingsDet
12-19-2005, 06:55 PM
I already have a goal in mind. Although I do not currently have a secretary. I hope to one day have a 18 year old blonde secretary with waitress experience, and a pleasant voice. (If anybody has seen the movie "Be Cool" you know the type I am reffering to). My wife however thinks I should hire some ugly old granny.

I have already started working on the help wanted ad:

Secretary Wanted:

Must be young and energetic
Flexebility is a must
Waitressing experience preffered
Willing to train the right candidate

:)

HAHA If thats the case can I work on your landscaping crew and pick up my checks from her, personally.

Mower For Less
12-20-2005, 02:04 AM
HAHA If thats the case can I work on your landscaping crew and pick up my checks from her, personally.

You know, I had already considered how my moral would improve with such an addition, but I didnt realize what a perk that could be to the company as a whole until your post. Thanks for the insight! :)

Kevin