PDA

View Full Version : Radio Advertising

rbriggs
12-11-2005, 07:38 PM
Have any of you ever used radio advertising? Just wondered if any of you have had any experiences. Obvioiusly its not a cheap advertising method, but if the ROI is decent, than we'd like to look into it.
Thanks for any info,

J Hisch
12-11-2005, 07:42 PM
Yes, it works especially when you have the catch like you do. 1-800-got junk, everyone will remember that, they can call on the way home without writing the number down or call later. Go for it.

rbriggs
12-11-2005, 07:46 PM
I agree that it could work very well for our company. However, I am the type of person who needs hard numbers and facts to back-up the idea.
We've done some high priced advertising that had very little ROI.
Thanks for the input J Hirsch.

lafrance4078
12-11-2005, 09:33 PM
I have a family member that sells air time for a local radio station. She says that the sales person can provide you with all kinds of information. i.e. ages of people listening at what time of day. How many people are listening at what times. Types of people. I guess it will be up to you to decide if those are the type of people you want to reach. I have thought about it my-self.

okgrassguy
12-11-2005, 09:49 PM
This comes from many years of working in tv and radio ( its my full time occupation) dont buy airtime based solely on the numbers they give you , demographics, arbitron ratings. Thay will probably push CPM ,cost per thousand. that is how much it takes to reach 1,000 listeners. Also get a good rotation, day and night. Also does the station produce the spots in house or do you need to have it produced ? Alot of stations include production fees in the total price.

Scott

Lawnmasters
12-11-2005, 10:18 PM
This is just from my 17 years experience in the business, and my experience in sales, so take it for what it's worth to you. I get free radio advertising on 4 radio stations in my area, small stations each covering a four or five county area. Also, I have spent money advertising on a major radio station in our area, covers a 100 mile radius. Zip, Nadda, Nothing, a waste of time and money. Spent 1200 on a month of advertising in the big station, morning slot and afternoon slots. Got one 87.00 per app. customer. The smaller stations, I never get anything from it, but I know people are hearing it. I have the station on all the time and I hear it, but when I ask, "by the way, how did you hear about us?" (i ALWAYS ask) they say, from the tri-county directory, (competition from yellow pages) or a local trader's paper, or customer referral, or just seen your trucks around town. My free advertising on these stations comes from a deal I worked out with the owner, I do what ever he needs done at his home and the station on the lawn and landscape, he runs whatever I want on adds. Works out pretty good, but if I had to pay for it, nope. He owns a print shop and a traders post type paper, they are great. This is just my experience, maybe someone else who has actually done some advertising has had better experience.
Good Luck at any rate,
Greg Pierce, CTP

okgrassguy
12-11-2005, 10:32 PM
I would think TV would be better, a bit more expensive but at least you could
include footage of some of your better properties. I think people retain information better when they see it. When people listen to radio they are busy doing other things. When you are watching TV usually your are more focused on whats on. But I tend to agree w/Lawnmasters, not really worth it

dsmrolla06
12-11-2005, 11:00 PM
TV would be hard to get high quality picture on tho. You can always tell when its a local commercial because of how it looks. Just not using the 10s of thousands of dollar cameras... Anyhow just try not to have a cheesy commercial, i always see those as a turn off. But hey its still company exposure.

Maybe you could try to get some charity work and try to get the local news to cover it. Kinda like free advertising... Some people may get a kick out of it.

okgrassguy
12-12-2005, 12:58 AM
TV would be hard to get high quality picture on tho. You can always tell when its a local commercial because of how it looks. Just not using the 10s of thousands of dollar cameras... Anyhow just try not to have a cheesy commercial, i always see those as a turn off. But hey its still company exposure.

Maybe you could try to get some charity work and try to get the local news to cover it. Kinda like free advertising... Some people may get a kick out of it.Just make sure they're not shooting on betacam and it will look good. We use DVC pro and our local spots look as sharp as the big agencies, who still shoot to film, which is hard to recreate

rbriggs
12-12-2005, 09:06 AM
Hey gang,
Thanks for the input. You shed some light on the concept.