PDA

View Full Version : recommend me some masonry tools?

maui8
12-12-2005, 08:34 AM
hi everyone, i am planning my first masonry project around the house and was wondering if i could get some recommendations on basic masonry tools, protective gear, etc... trowels, knee pads...

i noticed at lowes and home depot, a single trowel cost around 20 bucks vs the walmart brand for 3 dollars. what should I get? also, are there any masonry stores online for good buys?

UNISCAPER
12-12-2005, 09:35 AM
The only trowel brand we buy is Mashalltown. Tripple the price as the cheap Jap and Chinese crap, but you can litterally feel the difference.

What masonry projects will you be doing around the house? That will determine what trowel you need to pick up.

maui8
12-12-2005, 10:17 AM
hi uniscaper, thanks for the response.

i am planning for 2 projects after i do some test runs in the garage.

1. small extension of my driveway. plain cement.

2. building a simple brick border around the flower beds around the house. maybe about 3 brick widths tall.

3. i plan on building a brick oven around spring time.

Dirty Water
12-12-2005, 08:13 PM
With the driveway extension, do the excavation and form work yourself, but hire a professional concrete finisher on the day you pour, you can assist him in pouring and then let him do the finish work...Its an artform and you can learn a lot by watching him.

Concrete flatwork requires a hand float (I prefer Magnesium over wood), a trowel (Mag again), a edger, a groover, and a bull float (long float on a handle). You'll also want to a 2x4 thats the length of your pad to screed/rod the concrete flat as you pour it.

If your set on finishing it yourself pick up some steriofoam insulation and use that to float your weight on the concrete while you doing the finish troweling.

True Cut Lawn Maintenance
12-12-2005, 10:41 PM
get a good Marshaltown mag trowl and a hand held wood float, the bull floats might be pricey, you could rent them but as Jon said, hire it done, youll learn a lot, and be glad you paid the $$ to make the job look really good.

maui8
12-13-2005, 02:36 PM
thank all for the replies.

how much do you think it would cost roughly around to have a guy finish the job? the space is the size of 1 parking spot.

UNISCAPER
12-13-2005, 06:44 PM
Finishers around here charge $300.00 per day/job.