PDA

View Full Version : Top Dressing Residential

HHH
12-12-2005, 02:31 PM
Does anyone actively top dress residential properties as part of there business? I am thinking of making a equipment investment and offer top dressing as a part of my service. I believe there is a need in my area (Western Wash.) but am stuck on the ROI question. Any help would be appreciated.

mtdman
12-15-2005, 09:38 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=53928

That's a thread in the organic forum that has a lot of discussion about this in it.

I considered it as well, but the cost of the equipment and doubtful roi is what is keeping me out of it. I am not sure I'd make my $$ back for several years.

Allen's LS
12-15-2005, 01:05 PM
Does anyone actively top dress residential properties as part of there business? I am thinking of making a equipment investment and offer top dressing as a part of my service. I believe there is a need in my area (Western Wash.) but am stuck on the ROI question. Any help would be appreciated.

HHH let me know what you find out. I have only topdressed once. Moslty to level low spots, and it was all done by hand for a friend of mine. Do you have a lot of customers that request this or do you try and sell this service? :drinkup:

Five Diamond Lawns
01-05-2006, 06:50 PM
I have a top dressing company in Western Washington and it does well, but it's not like buying a aerator. To do it correctly it's at least a $15,000 investment and you have to do it full time to make that back. Also, topdressing is so tough on the equipment you will be purchasing new machines the third season.
Don't listen to the manufactures when they tell you how easy and profitable it should be there are very few machines out there that will spread wet topdressing and their not the cheep ones. Seeing your in the NW you know we never have dry material.
The organic material a lot of the manufactures recommend is to expensive to resale, to hard to get and you can't spread it wet.
Give me a call if you decide to go into it I would be glad to share some of the mistakes I made the first couple of years or even better find a company (like mine) that sub out, then mark it up $15 per 1,000 sq ft and you don't have to do anything.