PDA

View Full Version : Plowing with 6.0L diesel

earthmover
12-12-2005, 05:28 PM
Guys I have a 2006 F-350 C/C shortbed 4x4 and want to put a plow on it. That being said, I don't have the Factory Snow plow prep pkg. A dealer I spoke to said they don't reccomend putting a plow on it and If I did anyway It would VOID MY WARRANTY:angry: Is this true?Anyone ever dealt with this?

Jpocket
12-12-2005, 05:36 PM
Take it to the dealer and tell them to put the pakage on, that way your bases are covered. That is stupid for these manufaturers to build heavy duty diesel trucks, and then tell you you can't put a plow on unless you have skid plates, and dual batteries!

BSDeality
12-12-2005, 06:21 PM
get it from the dealer if you dont' have the plow prep package.

lawnmaniac883
12-12-2005, 06:39 PM
Prolly gonna need stiffer springs in the front...

South Florida Lawns
12-13-2005, 10:09 AM
And these days the dealer has to prove that the part actually caused harm to the vehicle and that it voided the warranty.

N.H.BOY
12-13-2005, 07:54 PM
My 250 had no "snow prep" package and no dual battery. I bought my plow from a fisher dealer and they put it on for me. Not really sure what a snow prep is for a truck besides two batteries, and a trans radiator. I have been plowing for three years with one battery and no trans. radiator.

qps
12-13-2005, 07:57 PM
Guys I have a 2006 F-350 C/C shortbed 4x4 and want to put a plow on it. That being said, I don't have the Factory Snow plow prep pkg. A dealer I spoke to said they don't reccomend putting a plow on it and If I did anyway It would VOID MY WARRANTY:angry: Is this true?Anyone ever dealt with this?

Plow prep consist of stiffer front spring, higher output alternator...I think thats it, my 2005 F350 C/C shortbed plows fine, its the diesel that adds so much weight on the front but good lord if you can plow with a F350 they should take the truck back:eek:

kc2006
12-13-2005, 09:21 PM
Its most likely the fact that it doesnt have heavier springs. Put a plow on it and watch the front end drop because the diesel is probably close to its max on those springs as it is.

Lawnworks
12-13-2005, 10:13 PM
Won't plowing pretty much destroy a new truck?

UNISCAPER
12-13-2005, 10:45 PM
"Won't plowing pretty much destroy a new truck?"

Plowing is hellacious on anything other than tractors, wheel loaders and graders. We used to take a molded piece of concrete and drop it on the fifth wheel of a couple Mack B, MB, and MR series tractors and push all night with them and they did OK, but there is something about the white schmidt that takes life away from vehicles.

Sure everyone uses pick up trucks, you have to. I can remember many nights in a 1947 Jeep CJ-2A with manual angle and arm strong steering. I don't know what was worse, the 1948 933 Cat wheel loader with the hand clutch or the Jeep of the B series Macks with armstrong steering and quadraplex trannies.....
Between the salt, and the spinning tires then hooking up on a dry spot, and slamming curbs all night, trucks get the crap knocked out of them alot quicker than if the just drove or pulled trailers..

olderthandirt
12-14-2005, 12:06 AM
Between the salt, and the spinning tires then hooking up on a dry spot, and slamming curbs all night, trucks get the crap knocked out of them alot quicker than if the just drove or pulled trailers..

But a lot of that is determined by the driver. If i'm driving my truck I'm a lot easier on it than one that an employees out in. Amazing how circumstances change if your the one that has to pay if you break it.

UNISCAPER
12-14-2005, 12:38 AM
Mac:

You said it all!

rfed32
12-16-2005, 12:12 AM
i say go for it man...throw a 8 footer on there...go with a boss or a western...or if ur worried aboutu the weight u could go with the snoway but id got with a nice big 8 or if ur doing smaller stuff go with the 7.5 footer...the truck wil hanndel a plow fine and if somehting goes wrong take the plow off and all the bs if u need to take it in for warenty work...jst my opion a lot of people on here are sayin bad idea..post this same ad over on plowsite.com and ull get different ideas...

qps
12-16-2005, 12:18 AM
I've plowed for over 20 years with no break down do to the plowing, it's the nut behind the wheel that's hard on the truck:dizzy:

Team_Yamaha
12-17-2005, 06:32 PM
Won't plowing pretty much destroy a new truck?
Every one of my plow trucks except the Jeep, I have bought brand new. My 97 and 03 F350's have a 8.5' Western Pro plow hanging on the front and a 8' V-box sander in the bed everytime it snows. Never had problems with the trucks associated with plowing, other than tagging a concrete pillar with the pass. side rear corner.... Opps:cry: :nono:

Gilla Gorilla
12-17-2005, 08:23 PM
Go for it. That 6.0 PSD is one hell of a strong engine. I finished up a couple of hours after I broke my truck last week in a 03 6.0psd regular cab long bed and that thing was a joy to plow with except for the slow Meyer plow. Just dont put it in 4X4 low and give it to much gas, you'll be going to the doctors office to be treated for whiplash. LOL

Tyner Lawn Service
12-18-2005, 07:25 PM
I've plowed for over 20 years with no break down do to the plowing, it's the nut behind the wheel that's hard on the truck:dizzy: You got that right!!:)

Jpocket
12-19-2005, 08:35 AM
Its most likely the fact that it doesnt have heavier springs. Put a plow on it and watch the front end drop because the diesel is probably close to its max on those springs as it is.

An f-350 imo already has the stiffest springs they put on a 1 ton, IMO these trucks are already ready for plowing, it's just a way for the dealers to get out ofpaying for s*it wen it breaks

Dig-it Landscaping
12-20-2005, 02:23 PM
I heard that the plow prep package somehow adjusts your airbags so they dont go off while plowing and accidentally hitting a curb or sewer cap. Not positive but you may want to look into it.

P & L Turf
12-21-2005, 10:17 PM
I've delt wit this. If you're going to be making good money with it just do it. My current Chevy didn't come with the package and I did it any how and now they won't cover any warrenty work unless it's a recall. The only thing I've got going for me is that I'm good friends with the owner of the dealer and My best friend is a mechanic. It's totally your call. My trucks that do have the plow pre package on them never get any warrenty work on them. I guess thats just dumb luck.