PDA

View Full Version : Bed prep

guntruck
04-01-2001, 01:24 PM
I have some gardens to do guys, they are in decent shape except for 2 of them. Actually they almost look just like the lawn overgrown with grass and weeds. I was just gonna use a spade shovel and shear the tops of all the unwanted growth off and mulch over recommend round up to the home owner for whatever may pop-up later and go about my way. If this is not a good method what is? What might you do differently in this situation. I was gonna till it but figured it would do pretty much nothing except stir the weeds and grass up in the beds. Please give any advice i just want to do a good job!!

Thanks

mdb landscaping
04-01-2001, 02:22 PM
i usually skim the top layer off too, when there are just too many weeds to pull or spray. after i skim the top layer off, i rake it out and then put preen down before i mulch to prevent weed growth.

crash22201
04-01-2001, 02:22 PM
I would just cut out all the garbage stuff so it don't grow back.then weed mat and mulch away.

Lanelle
04-01-2001, 02:36 PM
What are you planting in these gardens? That will determine how much additional prep is needed. If only a few shrubs, then amend the holes as you go with organic matter. If this will be a perennial garden then a more thorough prep is needed which will include tilling and adding compost to the entire bed. The ideal prep for perennial beds is often referred to as 'double-dug'. This involves taking the top 6" of soil off the bed and then digging down another shovel-length and turning and amending that soil too. Replace the original soil amending it with compost and tilling. This is more work than most want to do or pay for. Check with your client.

guntruck
04-01-2001, 04:20 PM
Lanelle they just want the weeds gone and mulch applied. There are yews in the gardens and some boxwoods. So essentially im just weeding and mulching just wanted the most efficient and effective method, thanks.