PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of this advertising

kc2006
12-13-2005, 09:45 AM
So my family tries to help out with the business now and then and my mother (who answers the phone for me) suggested I advertise in the one local churches bulletin. The church is in my neighborhood and gets the most people in church each week vs any other church around here. So I said ok go ahead and call get me a price and information.

I get a bill a couple weeks ago, $300! I freaked out about this. 300 dollars for 52 weeks of a small little 1"x1" add might not even be 1"x1" (they say it is but looking at the adds in the bulletin they're smaller then that). All the adds are this size on the back page so its not like some people are getting 1/4 pages to overshadow the smaller ads. I think its not worth it. Granted its for 52 weeks but the church gets 400 people a week in (I think) so I'd be advertising to the same people each week. Also theres only a tree service and fert company advertising in it. So i'd be the only mowing/landscape company in.

I tried to call the company that does the printing yesterday because I'm not positive what size the ad is or if I have to put the ad together as to how I want it to look, they gave me the guys answering machine and I haven't heard back yet. I didn't like that either.

What do you guys think, 300 for 52 weeks sound good or no?

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
12-13-2005, 10:29 AM
I am not sure about the size thing, but $300 for 52 weeks is a great deal. Yeah, it's the same 400 people seeing the ad, but that is good too. I have seen a study where it takes 10 exposures for someone to remember you. Then when someone things about the service that you provide if you have been in front of them long enough they automatically think of you. That doesn't necessarily mean they are gonna go with you, but they will atleast think about you. Next, it is about being there when they are looking for that service. If out of 400 people 75 will be looking for someone over the course of the year chances are you have a good shot of at least getting a call. If $300 bucks generated 75 calls and you only landed 10-20 then the $300 will more than paid for itself.

kc2006
12-13-2005, 10:38 AM
Just got a call back, the ad size is 1"x1.5" (HxL) just big enough for my logo and number under it. This is b&w also, no color.

I'm still debating, I have to send the first payment back tomorrow so I'll decide by then. I also figured it as 1 job would pay for the advertising. After last year and almost all the advertising being a flop I'm more conservative about what I go with now.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
12-13-2005, 10:46 AM
I can see your point and 1" x 1.5" is not that big. However, it is about repetition. The people in you r church are they largely a group that would hire a lawn service, or are the a group that would rather do it themselves? Are they household where all adults work? Are they largely an older group? There a lot of things that you should probably take into account before you decide. However, with only needing 1 to pay for your advertising that is not that bad of a deal. What is the average price per lawn around your way? I was actually gonna add to what I said earlier. Out of 400 if you only got .5% that would be 2. What's more, there would be 400 people that would get to know your name fairly well. In addition, some would probably get to know you (seeing you around). Even if you do to get a large number from the congregation you may get some referrals. JMO.

Grn Mtn
12-13-2005, 10:49 AM
1 1/4" would be better but it sounds like you don't have a choice. Remeber the golden rule of advertising, K.I.S.S. Look at the other ads, and design yours so it looks different. IE, use only seven words(golden rule of billboards) but make them all bold.

Bobs Lawn &
Landscape
555-1212
www.BLL.com

BTW, The price is good, that is how much I pay for 15 weeks in my local free paper with 20 other LCO's. And repetition is very good, a 1 week ad even if full page will not generate as much business as running an extended period of time.

kc2006
12-13-2005, 11:10 AM
Rob, from the few times i've been at the church, its mostly younger folks that go there (30's), they get their share of elderly people but they're more modern style mass so the younger crowd goes there more.

Still most of the younger people are middle class people that work probably 40+ hours a week, just telling by the neighborhood, the cars they drive, knowing a few people that go there and they know others. These are the people I normally gear towards since they have the extra money for the luxury of having the lawn done for them and they dont have the spare time to do it.

It could work out, I'll probably go ahead and do it. I'm still waiting for Mac to chime in and tell me what he thinks and then I'll go from there.

So far the plan is to advertise in the bulletin possibly, continue advertising in a local paper (30 a week for that add), and put out 15,000-20,000 flyers....still need to figure out how i'm going to tackle that.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
12-13-2005, 11:18 AM
Sounds like a pretty solid plan to me. In addition to what you said about the middle class having the money to do the work, they do not have the time to alocate to yard work themselves. Very cool. I think that you will do fine with it. If you do let me know how it works out for you? I have bee thinking about doing the same thing myself. We have about 3k to 4k that pass through our doors every week and about 1,500 to 2k that attend church on sunday. There is another church next town over about the same size that I know a couple of peopler that attend. I was thinking about doing the same thing this year. I have no idea how much they will cost yet...

walker-talker
12-13-2005, 03:45 PM
I recently checked into doing the same thing...about 2 weeks ago. My situation is a little different. The same sized ad is half that cost and is given out at 4 different masses. I am guessing around (at least) 1200 people a week. They also offer double squares for $300. I will probably do that. All the double squares are side by side. A double square will give me enough room for my logo and list of about 6 services that I offer. I was thinking of having mine printed to where they would have to turn the bulletin sideways to read my ad, this might draw their attention....what do you think? I was also thinking of having it places in other parishes around town, in my service areas. In my parish it will be the only ad in this industry. I know when I was having work done to my house and there was a lot of it, I choose members of my own parish to do the work, even when I could have paid some else cheaper to do the work. I knew for a fact that they did a good job though.

olderthandirt
12-13-2005, 05:02 PM
$300 for 52 wks, I'd do it and I'll guarentee you will pay for the add and make a little extra. Don't think about just this yr. Your putting your name in front of 400 people that will remeber it for a few more yrs even if you quit the advertizing in that paper.

kc2006
12-13-2005, 05:03 PM
Thats an interesting point about turning it sideways Walker-talker. I would think that would work. Considering you have to turn it to look at it your thinking about that ad more and it will stick in your head.

I have to print up my logo and get it all ready, I'm pretty sure I'm going to toss the ad in. If anything it will be a good way to get my name out there over and over again and thats always a plus when your business is young.

kc2006
12-13-2005, 05:04 PM
See the man posted right when I posted. Now i'm 100% positive i'll do it just because Mac said to :D

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
12-13-2005, 05:13 PM
Yeah Mac's point is a very good one. It is the repeat exposure to 400 people that in time will pay for itself exponentially. It isn't just the members of the congregation that have exposure to, but also their sphere of influence. Good Luck!

Team Gopher
12-14-2005, 11:13 AM
<Table width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><TR><TD><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our experts. Click Here (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=1&t=1296&st=&&#entry7582) </font></TD></TR></Table>
Hi kc2006,

You never know when these things will work or not until you try them. I do hope it is helpful. Are there any other LCOs that advertise in it?

<table width=100%>
<tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>http://www.gophergraphics.com/images/gopher_palm_banner_2.gif (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=2&t=1478&st=&&#entry8241)</td></tr></table>
<center>Free Web Templates (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=898). Make your own logo Free (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=1453).</center>

kc2006
12-14-2005, 11:16 AM
Gopher, nope I'd be the only one. Only other thing is a fert company that only fertilizes and a tree company.