PDA

View Full Version : Trailer TAilgate

tnpete
12-13-2005, 03:08 PM
Will be building a tailgate on my 14ft trailer within the next month. And was wondering what everyones is built out of?
I will be loading a Ferris 4500 Z so it will have to be built to handle over 2000 lbs/.
Pete

vadeere
12-13-2005, 06:56 PM
Make it at least 5ft long, mine is 4ft and the angle is too steep. Good Luck!

Royalslover
12-27-2005, 12:00 AM
If your building it yourself make sure to weld every single joint on the expanded metal. The last gate I built was a six footer. I used 2" angle with heavy expanded metal and it has served me for about 7 years now. Usually, when you see a busted tailgate it is because the fabricater only welded every 3 or 4 joints.

tnpete
12-27-2005, 03:44 PM
Thanks that will help out a lot. And I will weld every spot. Also may take some 1"X1/8" flat bar and weld over the sides to help out there.
How heavy is your mowers? And how many pieces of 2" angle are long ways on your ramp? I think I will use 2 in side and the sides on mine.

PEte

If your building it yourself make sure to weld every single joint on the expanded metal. The last gate I built was a six footer. I used 2" angle with heavy expanded metal and it has served me for about 7 years now. Usually, when you see a busted tailgate it is because the fabricater only welded every 3 or 4 joints.

lawnmaniac883
12-27-2005, 05:01 PM
This is a open landscape type trailer correct? It will take alot to make it constantly withstand 2000lbs of mower, maybe plan on some spring assist sides? Also, make sure you have support beams running where the mower tires will be rolling up and down on the tailgate, expanded metal will bend otherwise. I.E. if you plan on leaving the ztr on the left side, put proper supports on left side.

Royalslover
12-27-2005, 11:40 PM
Thanks that will help out a lot. And I will weld every spot. Also may take some 1"X1/8" flat bar and weld over the sides to help out there.
How heavy is your mowers? And how many pieces of 2" angle are long ways on your ramp? I think I will use 2 in side and the sides on mine.

PEte

I personally wouldn't worry about the 1" strap. If you need to weld later it will get in the way and as long as you weld every joint than you'll be golden. I actually used eight beams because I made a two piece gate. It is a six footer and it is heavier than crap. If you would use three in the middle that would be about right. I would also go 3/16 on the angle. Like the last poster said, make sure to line up according to your mowers.

tnpete
12-28-2005, 09:48 AM
Thanks guys I will add the spring assist on the ramp and will also have support under where the wheels will run.
I know I built a dovetail and ramps on a 24ft goose neck I have. And found out loading the trackhoe or tractor where the weak link was fast. Had to support the ramps.
Pete