PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper Inserts

DVS Hardscaper
12-13-2005, 06:59 PM
We have had to do virtually no advertising for the last two years.

Well now the economy is slowing down drastically. The Real Estate market has bottomed out, houses aren't selling. Gas prices skyrocketed. Electric rates have gone up. Groceries are more money. And my hardscape / landscape design/build company is feelin the effects.

So I have two choices (of many) for advertising.

Our paver manufacturer will supply us with all the glossy four color, 8 tab (which eccentially means 8 pages), flyers. We just have to put labels on them with our company logo, info, etc.

I can either direct mail these flyers, to the tune of $0.37 each to direct markets. 3000 mailers at $0.37 = $1,110.00/ not to mention postage rates will increase in Jan 06.

Or I can have the local paper insert these flyers in the newspaper. And I can select the regions I want them distributed. 3000 - 4000 papers is about $500.00. So that is 1/2 the cost of direct mailing.

However the paper may be going to properties / individuals that live in poverty level and have no need for our mid - high end services.

I am seriously considering going the newspaper insert route. Doing the Saturday paper.

is there ANYONE that HAS done this? That has experience and knowledge with this? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts, how it went, would you do it again, and all that stuff.

thanks in anticipation,

Mr DVS.

RonB
12-13-2005, 09:38 PM
My experience is the recieving end. Each week I get two ad papers in the mail, filled with fliers. I toss out the fliers and maybe thumb through the ads ..

1MajorTom
12-13-2005, 10:01 PM
I am seriously considering going the newspaper insert route. Doing the Saturday paper.

Mr DVS.
No, we have not done newspaper inserts, however we have done post it notes stuck to the front of each newspaper in the zones we have selected, and yes, we got good results from them.

However, I'm wondering something. You say Saturday. Why Saturday?
That would be the last day I would select to insert something in a newspaper. That is the day all the other fliers are inserted, yours will get lost amongst everyone elses. Do you have a daily newspaper? If so, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday would be the day I would select.

kc2006
12-13-2005, 10:17 PM
I advertised last year with a local company that is owned by the local paper. The ad was inserted in a plastic bag and put in the sunday paper. I gained 3 season cuts, and 8-10 one time jobs from 5000 flyers. Cost was 200 to insert them. This was with no other LCO flyers, just big nationwide store flyers.

Have you looked into companies online or anything else for direct mailing? I see companies online stating .19cents each, not sure if you have to buy the flyer from them though.

daveintoledo
12-13-2005, 11:15 PM
this method lets you target certain areas for advertising, its very effective and i get very good response.....its cost effective, and here, no one else is doing it, so my adds stand out more then the tiny ad space the other lawn care providers have put in the paper....mine is usualy the only 81/2x11 insert, the rest are for grocery stores and such

walker-talker
12-14-2005, 10:18 AM
I had 5,000 letter sized, full color, double-sided and glossy flyers inserted in the newspaper and received a big fat 0 calls. Somebody help me here. Grant it, it was a little late in the season....like mid-May, but I thought I should of has some kind of response.

daveintoledo
12-14-2005, 11:20 AM
I had 5,000 letter sized, full color, double-sided and glossy flyers inserted in the newspaper and received a big fat 0 calls. Somebody help me here. Grant it, it was a little late in the season....like mid-May, but I thought I should of has some kind of response.

i have sent out the expensive color flyers, and received fewer calls then just black on colored paper, my wife said they look too expensive so my services must be too...... in the viewers eyes.....

Team Gopher
12-14-2005, 12:23 PM
<Table width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><TR><TD><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our experts. Click Here (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=1&t=1296&st=&&#entry7582) </font></TD></TR></Table>

i have sent out the expensive color flyers, and received fewer calls then just black on colored paper, my wife said they look too expensive so my services must be too...... in the viewers eyes.....

This is something I think we often overlook. Very good point.

<table width=100%>
<tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>http://www.gophergraphics.com/images/gopher_palm_banner_2.gif (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=2&t=1478&st=&&#entry8241)</td></tr></table>
<center>Free Web Templates (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=898). Make your own logo Free (http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=1453).</center>

DVS Hardscaper
12-18-2005, 09:12 PM
Thanks jodi, good point!

Others - And that is one problem, the ad furnished by the supplier is pretty DAMN fancy. Infact, that thought went through my mind last week. I think after the holidays, I'll give it a whirl.

Its been a snowy winter, and its not even winter yet! What this means is by the middle to end of Feb, people will be having CABIN FEVER, and will be thinkin of outdoor projects.

NY Landscape Lighting
12-18-2005, 10:29 PM
The regional paper has what they call a "works program". An 1/4 page ad a week in the paper for 13 weeks and 8 ads in their village type papers. Papers website gives you an ad and you get 10,000 flyers mailed once to whatever zip codes you picked. This was for monthly fee of 540.00 for 3 months. They suggested Monday as a good day. Those months were the busiest for us I believe due to these. We will be using this perhaps as our only marketing next year, with the flyers going out more than once in three months. You can add on more fliers for another 200

promower
12-21-2005, 12:27 AM
If the paper boy/girl is the one responsible for putting the inserts in the paper you will be lucky if 20% get delivered. I had paper routs for 6 years, every year the company did less and the carriers did more. Whenever I got handed a bunch of inserts they went straight in the trash. Direct mail will get you more bang for your buck and you can target certain income levels, zip codes etc..

daveintoledo
12-21-2005, 11:31 AM
If the paper boy/girl is the one responsible for putting the inserts in the paper you will be lucky if 20% get delivered. I had paper routs for 6 years, every year the company did less and the carriers did more. Whenever I got handed a bunch of inserts they went straight in the trash. Direct mail will get you more bang for your buck and you can target certain income levels, zip codes etc..

the flyers are bundled in batches of 100, and insered by a macnine at the newspaper,

DVS Hardscaper
12-21-2005, 12:07 PM
LOL

This is the millinium!

Not the 1950's :laugh:

yes, they DO use a machine.....

Lux Lawn
12-21-2005, 12:33 PM
DVS Hardscapes

I have done it both ways with full color and with b/w fliers.The last two years I did around 10,000 each,my results were not that good to be honest with you.It's defiantly an affordable way to advertise thats for sure but the results may not always be there.Last year with the full color flier I think I picked up 2 full service accounts,we did the mowing,fert.,mulch,hedge trimming and the one I am doing snow plowing at.

Daveintoledo--I often think the same thing about the full color add that people think if he can spend this much on advertising he must be expensive.
If I remember right me and Walker Talker have discussed this as well because he has gone the same route over the years with the nice expensive fliers.

So you might want to also have a back-up plan.Maybe do a few thousand and spend some advertising money in some other spots to spread it around.

promower
12-21-2005, 03:03 PM
1950's lol, I know but when I did routes it was only 8 years ago, most of the time inserts were already done, although sometimes we had to do them ourselves.