PDA

View Full Version : what do your crew leaders do?

Martee
12-13-2005, 11:57 PM
On a daily basis what is there responsibility and how much more an hour do you pay them over other employees?

rodfather
12-14-2005, 07:10 AM
$22.50 an hour (going to $25). Responsibilities are pretty obvious with an emphasis on no call backs.

walker-talker
12-14-2005, 09:08 AM
Rodfather, do you give your crewmen the authority to "get in their ass" so to speak, is this expected of them or do they pass any information onto you that may result in you dealing out the disciplinary actions? Also, if you don't mind sharing, how many employees do you employ and how many dollars do they cost you as a result in negligence....including your equipment and damage to clients properties. The reason I ask is because I was talking with a local LCO and he was telling me that his 4 employees cost him around $11k this year and I thought that just sounded extrememly high. He runs two different crews and is pretty much mow only.

rodfather
12-14-2005, 10:31 AM
Rodfather, do you give your crewmen the authority to "get in their ass" so to speak, is this expected of them or do they pass any information onto you that may result in you dealing out the disciplinary actions? Also, if you don't mind sharing, how many employees do you employ and how many dollars do they cost you as a result in negligence....including your equipment and damage to clients properties. The reason I ask is because I was talking with a local LCO and he was telling me that his 4 employees cost him around $11k this year and I thought that just sounded extrememly high. He runs two different crews and is pretty much mow only.

Matt

My 2 crew foreman have total authority to act on my behalf whatever they see fit. If that means kissing the customer's azz, so be it. If it involves questioning a customer's request, they have that authority as well. And they have authority to "rip a new one" so to speak if deemed necessary.

From March through November, I had 7 full time people. I had ZERO (yes ZERO) $$$ cost due to negligence. People in the past here on LS have questioned me about this, but that is the God's honest truth. I pay my mowing guys well ($17.50) and therefore I demand damn near perfection (as in ZERO call backs) or customer complaints. I would guess we have had like 3 call backs in the past 5 years.

I have always had alot of success in finding and getting reputable and good workers. IMO, it starts with paying them well.

Martee
12-14-2005, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the information, just curios myself being an employee that was asked to be a crew leader, I make 2$ an hour over the employee I work over and they are new, never even used a mower before in there life. I have worked for this guy for 4 1/2 years and even was asked to be a business partner, but he changed his mind. But when I make decisions Im told its not my business and to not talk to customers. But then when something goes wrong at customers house I get chewed out for it because "Im in charge" Im told.
Needless to say I am starting my own business this next season I have gone over and above the call of duty for this employer and get nothing in return other than grief over everything

Martee
12-14-2005, 11:10 AM
The other question I have is- do your crew leaders make your daily schedule? Or do you do this and give them a list everyday of duties. Including what they are supposed to do while they are there. My employer gives us a list everyday with tasks that need done. Even tho I have been at all these houses almost 5 years they still write down everything that needs done.

rodfather
12-14-2005, 01:13 PM
I make the schedule and take a minute or so before sending them out each morning with any special instructions.

For mowing, I run 2 crews of 3 men each. I also have another full time guy that just works with me doing prunning, mulch, etc. And I have some part time guys as well that are always looking to make some extra money when I need them.

kc2006
12-14-2005, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the information, just curios myself being an employee that was asked to be a crew leader, I make 2$ an hour over the employee I work over and they are new, never even used a mower before in there life. I have worked for this guy for 4 1/2 years and even was asked to be a business partner, but he changed his mind. But when I make decisions Im told its not my business and to not talk to customers. But then when something goes wrong at customers house I get chewed out for it because "Im in charge" Im told.

Sounds identicle to what my situation was a couple years ago. When I was a crew leader I got 50 cents more then the other guys, when he moved me up and had me managing the company and doing just the landscaping end I got 2 dollars more an hour then the other guys. same thing as you said though, it wasn't my place to make decisions yet I'm supposed to be watching over everything and have authority over the guys....:cry:

Drove me nuts. This was because i was "too young" even though I always made proper decisions never cost the company any money with damage to equipment and looked after everything....I was still too young to do it.

Your best bet is to do like your thinking and move on....as soon as possible!