PDA

View Full Version : Pulling a Dump Trailer

jhawk71
12-14-2005, 10:01 PM
This upcoming spring I am looking at purchasing a used dump trailer. I am hope to find either a 6'x10', 6'x12' or 7'x14'. I currently have a 02 Ford F-150 with the 5.4L v8. Will I be able to safely pull a dump trailer of the size I'm looking at? In the spring I plan to use it for mulch jobs and to remove the debris from spring clean-ups. My main use for the trailer will be leaves in the fall I plan to box it in. I currently have a leaf loader on my boxed in 10ft open trailer. Looking for more volume and easier dumping. Any advice is appreciated.
Jhawk71

BSDeality
12-14-2005, 11:26 PM
i think the 6x10/12 would be the best fit for your truck.

If you go too big (7x14) you loose all your trailer payload in trailer weight. The f150 is the weak link, are you planning on upgrading to a 3/4 or 1 ton in the future? if so then maybe consider living with the lessened payload for a year or two and get the bigger trailer.

n2ma
12-14-2005, 11:50 PM
We have 7x14 dump trailer. I pull the trailer with my 03, F-250. It has the 5.4L.
It does well pulling it with box for leaves. I have put dirt, rock,manure, mulch and also pulled ok. With the F-150 I would not go over anything 12' in length.
Our dump trailer empty wieghts 2800 lbs.
Here is our leaf box with giant Vac mounted ontop.

YardPro
12-15-2005, 08:59 PM
lol... no

we just bought a 7X14 and our 1500 dodge struggles with it.
my 2500 hd does fine.. but at 4K empty weight you REALLY know the trailer is back there with the 1/2 ton dodge

stevesmowing
12-15-2005, 10:05 PM
I am looking at getting a 2500HD and a 6x12 dump trailer with 5 foot sides for next year. I will be adding this in as I already have a 97 f150 with a 16' landscape trailer. I'd like the 8.1L HD but I am having a hard enough time finding a 6.0L as it is. Looking for a 2001-2002 4x4 extended cab with about 100,000 miles.

Scag48
12-16-2005, 08:16 PM
A large dump trailer weighs well over 3000 pounds. If you put any amount of heavy material in the trailer you'll overload an F150 to the point where you might not be able to get the truck stopped. If you're just hauling yard debris (no dirt, rock, or large amounts of mulch) you'll be fine. Remember, mulch still weighs about 1000 pounds a yard and at 3 yards a trip it might just be faster and less expensive to have it delivered.

RedWingsDet
12-17-2005, 01:42 PM
i would not use a f150 for ANY dump trailer. They simply weigh too much, even if its under the trailering capicty for a 150, once you load it up with material, it will be way over its weight capicity and be sagging your truck down, bogging your truck down, and good luck when it comes to stopping.

I would sell it and get a 3/4ton or 1ton.

Scag48, does mulch really weigh 1000lbs per yard. I've had 5-6yards in my 3/4ton and it barely sagged, maybe the mulch you had was wet?

I just didnt think it weighed that much, I figured around 500/yard

northwest lawn
12-17-2005, 04:41 PM
i pulled a 7.5x16? heavy duty dump trailer with my f250 with a 5.4l my f250 looks like the f150 and it hauls it with no problem

RedWingsDet
12-17-2005, 05:23 PM
i pulled a 7.5x16? heavy duty dump trailer with my f250 with a 5.4l my f250 looks like the f150 and it hauls it with no problem

So your telling me just because they look the same, they can do as much?

Ya right buddy, look at the suspension on the 250 compared to the 150, along with the braking system, and tons of other crap.

Jamesgateslandscaping
12-18-2005, 02:05 PM
We put the dump trailer on the back of the 1/2 ton no problem, I will not put more than 1 yd of material in it though because I would be affraid that the brakes would fail before anything else. The truck is more than capable of handling it but I just do not want to push my limits. I have fully loaded the dump trailer while pulling it with my HD and it doesnt even sag. The 1/2ton sags with just the trailer on:rolleyes: .
Mark, you should put a maxi dump insert (good for 10k) in your truck, make it easier to shovel things out:p Just kidding man. Having fun plowing yet?? I love plowing because its all gravypayup .
James

RedWingsDet
12-18-2005, 02:22 PM
Mark, you should put a maxi dump insert (good for 10k) in your truck, make it easier to shovel things out:p Just kidding man. Having fun plowing yet?? I love plowing because its all gravypayup .
James

Na no insert for me. Im getting a new truck next year. I almost bought an ez dumper this year but decided against it because my next truck will be a small bed.

Ya I love plowing, its fun, up until the 14th hour, lol.

Jamesgateslandscaping
12-18-2005, 07:10 PM
Worse for me so far is 26 hours, I got sick of it the 22 hour, my helper couldnt make the second trip out because he was to tired:confused: . My SN is weatherman53, IM me sometime.
James

RedWingsDet
12-18-2005, 08:56 PM
Worse for me so far is 26 hours, I got sick of it the 22 hour, my helper couldnt make the second trip out because he was to tired:confused: . My SN is weatherman53, IM me sometime.
James

Ya I was up for a good 30+ hours last thurs+fri.

jblawns123
12-18-2005, 09:50 PM
With good working trailer brakes it will be fine. Just don't load a lot of heavy material. Get whichever size you want, 2 feet is not going to make much difference unless you load those extra 2 feet with heavy material.

I would look to upgrade in the future though. Just be smart, no crazy loads.

Jimbo046
12-18-2005, 10:41 PM
You really have to be carefull with tongue wieght. Your 1/2 ton just can't saftely haul that much weight unless it is balanced properly. You could tow 10,000 with the right hitch and weight distribution system. However when you go have the truck loaded you must make certin that it is loaded properly, to much tongue weight it lift the front end of that truck so much it will be hard to steer no little or if a load would shift like pavers or block equipment the rear end could lift off the ground. these problems are why poeple go to 3/4 and 1 tons for towing. The brakes, axles, trans, driveshaft, bearings, axle types, frames, springs, shocks, etc are all much heavier. The engine doesn't mean a thing, the dot could care less what is under the hood, that is for guys with big egos to fight about. With dot cares about is the ability to stop the vehicle loaded, and the capacities of the components ie tires wheels brakes springs alxe capacties and so on. I don't even buy 1 tons for my business anymore these trucks just don't have any extra capacity desgined into them. Ford chevy and dodge just don't build a "TRUCK" they all have very nice BIGGER pick-up truck models available with great diesel engine options from other venders. We have japanese cab overs UD and Mitsubishi as well as a freightliner fl-60 low pro. Any of these TRUCKS will have the same componets a mack truck has obviously smaller but all desgined very similarly with very strong frame axle capacities most the time much higher than GAWR and the biigest difference is braking...most have electric and air of hydraulic assisted braking systems where REAR brakes work harder than the front brakes, preventing losted control in poor weather from front end sliding (abs has helped pick-ups) and preventing jack kniving in hard breaking aplications. Good luck with your trailer I hope you learn something from your fellow landscapers on here. I would buy the 6x12 trailer make some money with it, then get a f-350 or a dodge 1 ton with the best availible engine in the pick-ups the CUMMINS TURBO DIESEL we have a 3/4 dodge with one and our freighltiner has one as well both 5.9's I'll sell you the dodge! Good luck Jim

YardPro
12-19-2005, 02:05 PM
today i hualed a 4.65 ton load to the dump... no problems at all for the 2500 hd...

our 1500 dodge on the other hand........

we had the trailer behind the dodge in one of our condo complexes.. with a very small load in the trailer the dodge sagged so much that the driver got stuck in the parking lot.... the tongue would not make it over the speed bumps LOL.... after parking it and loading it for the rest of the day i had to hual it to the dump.... total load was only 2 tons.....ram tough??????

CutRight
12-19-2005, 04:16 PM
i towed around a 10,000# 12' dump trailer for a summer with my last truck....GMC 1500 stepside....first of all i looked like a hack...but it beat the crap out of my truck. I loaded the thing up with a few ton of loam and stone, but it was truck brutality. The dump trailer is one of the best things I own, but you need the truck to tow it. I quickly bought a GMC 2500HD and that thing can tow anything i put in the dump trailer, and soon to be towing my excavator around...time for another truck.

SpudsM15
12-19-2005, 09:33 PM
We got a 6.5x12 dump with 5 foot sides.... The 2500hd with the 6.0l pulls it fine fully loaded with leaves, but you definatly feel the load, but thats expected and the 4 wheel electric brakes with digital controller is a must makes it so much safer!...

We have our box setup where we pop the bunggies off the mesh tarp and we stomp each load of leaves and stuff the rear of the trailer(not to much because the time lost ain't worth it) but we get plenty of leaves in it...
If I were you don't go with the 8.1l its just gonna eat more gas I get maybe 8 mpg with the dump trailer on it, the 6.0 has plenty of power... Look for a duramax!!!

n2h20
12-20-2005, 02:20 AM
I have an 04 2500hd with the 6.0 and 4:10 gears. I have towed a 7x12 foot dump full of topsoil and it was a heavy load, I had no trouble stopping (considering the weight and elec brakes) but getting going again was a slow process. I could watch the gas gauge move... if you plan on loading that trailer up every day id get a diesel. Thats my next motor for sure. I cant comment on the 8.1 dont know anyone who has one.

Mower For Less
01-05-2006, 03:07 AM
The 8.1 with the 5 speed Allison (and now the 6 speed Allison) is a BEAST. I have a buddy with the 5 speed, it is an ultra-low 1st gear, and torque like crazy. He has 285/75 16 BFG Mud Terrains on it, and a limited slip rear end. He can easily break them loose in any conditions with just a light tap of the gas. As far as towing, I have only borrowed his truck to tow a 5000 lbs. boat, and needless to say it acts like its not even there, have to keep looking in the mirror to make sure it didnt fall off. Fuel economy is 10-11 mpg regardless of towing of non-towing on the highway. He tried to use it to pull out a tree stump once, tied a strap to the stump and to his hitch drawbar... in 1st gear he bent the hitch and almost ripped it off. Had to replace the entire hitch it was so badly deformed.

mowingtowing
01-06-2006, 12:25 PM
n2ma, that looks like a PJ dump trailer and i think youre a little low on your weight for it. My 14' PJ with leaf vacuum and 4' metal sides that i added weighs nearly 5300lbs. Bone stock the 14' weights about 4k.

Just a little plug for the PJ trailers, i LOVE mine, its rated at 14000 lbs and dumps to max capacity (and a little more) with ease. The axles are a little further forward then most other 14' dumps which makes for a little less tounge weight, but still the needed 10-15% of gross weight.