PDA

View Full Version : Australian Road Trains

Dirty Water
12-15-2005, 09:00 PM
These guys are crazy:

http://kingsley-foreman.tripod.com//sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/roadtrainlong.jpg

Some of them pull 10+ trailers.

Gilla Gorilla
12-15-2005, 09:30 PM
I guess the DOT has some pretty lax rules down there when it comes to towing in some areas. LOL

lawnmaniac883
12-15-2005, 09:52 PM
I dont see how it is possible to turn with all of those trailers...they would be all over the road.

Lawn Masters
12-15-2005, 11:53 PM
What I dont see, is how the hell that tractor can pull all them things unless he's doing about 10mph, in 1st gear, and has like 1000 hp under the hood.

Mickhippy
12-16-2005, 01:40 AM
As an Aussie, I reckon its a load of poo poo! Probably just done for a record!
Them trailers are for transporting cattle etc!

There is no way in hell that would be aloud on the roads here!

Interesting pic though! Didnt know there was grass to be mowed in Bourke!

DKinWA
12-16-2005, 10:46 PM
I wonder how long it'd take to release the brakes on all the trailers :eek:

lawnsbyrj
12-19-2005, 04:39 PM
those tractors are like 3 times as big as a north american. they have a special on discovery channel (or something) that shows them.
I THINK that they are hooked up on straight roads and pull till they reach teh area and drop trailers on the main highway to be picked up by smaller trucks, like trains do here

jim dailey
12-19-2005, 09:04 PM
What I dont see, is how the hell that tractor can pull all them things unless he's doing about 10mph, in 1st gear, and has like 1000 hp under the hood.

I could pull that train with my granddaughter's bicycle. Getting that mess rolling is not the problem. STOPPING it is the real mess. Notice that everything is TRI-AXLE, probably each and every axle has it's own braking system. Everyone of those trailers follows the one in front, and the front one follows the tractor. All is well, when you are going forward. Let's see someone try to back that mess up.

Lawn Masters
12-20-2005, 02:10 AM
ok, the stopping issue is VERY true. I'd imagine thats like a freight train, you gotta start backing off and applying the brakes like 2 miles before the point you wish to stop at. now backing that whole mess up, and actually getting it where you want while its all hitched up, I think may be just about impossible, or at the bare minimum its something that'll make you want a keg to help lessen the headache of it.

DLCS
12-20-2005, 07:25 AM
Now to make that look more realistic. They need to have a person on a cell phone, pull out in front of that truck.

So do they need a caboose?:)

meathead1134
12-22-2005, 09:46 AM
those tractors are like 3 times as big as a north american. they have a special on discovery channel (or something) that shows them.
I THINK that they are hooked up on straight roads and pull till they reach teh area and drop trailers on the main highway to be picked up by smaller trucks, like trains do here

bingo I saw the same thing on discovery cahnnel

JimboII
12-23-2005, 12:02 AM
He's on the wrong side of the road.

mcwlandscaping
12-23-2005, 02:53 PM
bingo I saw the same thing on discovery cahnnel
I wish i saw that, im pretty good about catching everything on the Discover Channel too!!

South Florida Lawns
12-23-2005, 11:09 PM
They ain't got sh*t on my Chevy. Ill pull that load at 90 up any mountain range out there. HAHAHAHAH.

JK:p

Squizzy246B
12-24-2005, 08:27 AM
http://members.tripod.com/kingsley-foreman/Towtruckphotos/id9.html

Roger
12-24-2005, 08:58 AM
Squizzy ... great set of photos. I have never seen anything like these trains. The terrain must be quite flat to haul such huge loads over such long distances.

Thank you!

Squizzy246B
12-24-2005, 09:19 AM
Squizzy ... great set of photos. I have never seen anything like these trains. The terrain must be quite flat to haul such huge loads over such long distances.

Thank you!

Plenty flat but plenty of hills too. In a lot of places you have to haul one or two trailers out/up to a marshalling point before they hook up the rest. You have to remember that 500 Hp is considered the minimum for these rigs these days.