PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Accounts

Green Acres
12-16-2005, 09:58 AM
I was wondering how you guys go about getting commercial accounts like bank, apartments, etc. Do you just go to there place of business and ask for a manager or call or send out flyers. I would like to pick a few up this year but not sure of how to go about it. Thanks

LB1234
12-16-2005, 02:07 PM
its not what you know, its who you know.

Seriously, for me networking. Most commericials (legit ones, not the price shoppers) want to hear from someone 'I use these guys and I'm very happy with them'.

Otherwise, I do the flyer thing. The door to door thing is okay but a lot of people have the 'no soliciting' signs posted.

RyanD
12-16-2005, 02:20 PM
I have been calling around to all the commercial properties I can think of in my small town. I just ask when they will be taking bids for the following year's landscape and turf maintenance. Sometimes they tell me the owners son does it, and sometimes they are happy with their current provider, and sometimes they say "send me a bid." I had two companies ask me for bids yesterday on the phone when I called. Ultimately you want to have a reference as was said above but when your starting out, I think this is the way to go.

JS Landscaping
12-16-2005, 07:37 PM
Ive also had the questoin before as to when the best time to go around to aproach these properties is. Do they go by the start of the new year or during spring time when our season starts?:confused:

James

Mudmower
12-16-2005, 08:10 PM
Chaseing after commercial accounts is kinda like deep sea fishing. You have several spots that seem promising, just don't know if the fish are there till you drop the hook. If they aint' there, move to the next one. Also when deep sea fishing it helps to have more than one person dropping the hook.

Now MY approach is to drop off flyers. Try to make small talk with the receptionist. Then stop by with a flyer about every 4 to 5 weeks. If it is the same person, just let them know you are just stopping in to leave a new flyer or two. Continue until; 1.They run when they see you coming 2.They give you a call to give them a bid.

Took me almost two years to land my first Large account. After that they are calling like crazy.

Jim

Need a Little Trim
12-17-2005, 12:22 AM
Some good advice that worked for me today. When driving around check out the signs that are for lease these are generally for the property management offices. Get the agents name and number off of them and call and offer a bid or see when it is going up for bid.

kootoomootoo
12-17-2005, 12:32 AM
No different to selling paper clips. Cold call central.

Friend of mine sells transport/courier ..........called on one account 62 times to get the account.

Bing's Landscaping
03-05-2006, 01:42 AM
We are new to the business (1st year) we went on-line found the area hotels banks stores etc. We made up an information letter. Printed the address labels from the computer mailed them out and OMG we have so many bid requests we are going crazy. We are asked to bid these jobs but arent sure how to charge for our services. So the people that are telling you its hard to find comm. jobs are crazy. We knew nothing and as I said we have tons of bids to prepare..... good luck

FireManPhil
04-17-2006, 03:38 PM
Bling,
How do you know who to address it to?

Badgerz
04-17-2006, 04:00 PM
We are new to the business (1st year) we went on-line found the area hotels banks stores etc. We made up an information letter. Printed the address labels from the computer mailed them out and OMG we have so many bid requests we are going crazy. We are asked to bid these jobs but arent sure how to charge for our services. So the people that are telling you its hard to find comm. jobs are crazy. We knew nothing and as I said we have tons of bids to prepare..... good luck

It's great you have plenty of bids but please let us know how many, if any, of the accounts you actually get. I don't mean that to sound like you won't get any accounts it would just be intersting to see how many actually use you. Best of luck.