PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Fords

6'7 330
12-16-2005, 06:29 PM
My family will probably disown me...but i looking at a super duty V-10 .We just added a 6.0 chevy one ton ,but snow plowing is going great and we need a pickup to add to the fleet.My question is,how does the super-duty F250-auto trans do as snow plow truck? I plead ignorance ,because I know nothing about Ford trucks.Any advice mechanically would be appreciated.

olderthandirt
12-16-2005, 06:34 PM
Your gonna get all kinds of responces but been using fords since the 70s and no problems related to plowing. Just your normal wear and tear maintenance to keep up with.

Scag48
12-16-2005, 06:56 PM
We've had good luck with our Fords and Chevys, for us it comes down to price and what kind of features we can get with the trucks. We don't buy new trucks, so when we buy it comes down to price and availability on the used rigs we're looking at. Our 99 F350 PSD is a great truck, although at 150K the tranny is finally going out. We punish this truck and it just keeps going. With routine maintenance, 200K is easily attainable. I do, however, advise against the V10. It gets horrible gas mileage compared to the 7.3 and the useable torque just isn't there. I'm sure there are guys out there that are happy with their V10's, but give me diesel or give me death!

jt5019
12-16-2005, 07:34 PM
The v10 will plow snow like theres no tomorrow but the gas station will also become your best freind.I never had a problem with my fords for plowing.

Team_Yamaha
12-17-2005, 06:21 PM
No problems here either. I really like having a solid front axle, I personally think that it carries and handles a plow better.

Lux Lawn
12-17-2005, 06:37 PM
Bill
I am using a Ford F250 for plowing for the first time and have no real complaints so far.Mine is the V8.The only minor thing that I have noticed is that it doesn't have the turning radius that the Chevy's have,but other then that it pushes snow great.I think I also need to add some Timbrens to the front end of mine...for some reason it seems to sit a little lower (to me at least,then some of the others).When I took it to the dealer for new springs(that I was willing to pay for)they said it doesn't need it.Maybe its the Meyers plow an 8 footer,sometimes they tend to sit lower and scape sometimes.

Lawn Masters
12-17-2005, 06:43 PM
I've noticed the Fords to all be rugged trucks no matter what. you just cant get a tougher truck than that unless you buy an HMMWV from the military, or a deuce.

olderthandirt
12-17-2005, 07:09 PM
Bill
I am using a Ford F250 for plowing for the first time and have no real complaints so far.Mine is the V8.The only minor thing that I have noticed is that it doesn't have the turning radius that the Chevy's have,but other then that it pushes snow great.I think I also need to add some Timbrens to the front end of mine...for some reason it seems to sit a little lower (to me at least,then some of the others).When I took it to the dealer for new springs(that I was willing to pay for)they said it doesn't need it.Maybe its the Meyers plow an 8 footer,sometimes they tend to sit lower and scape sometimes.
Larry, You probably know that ford do sit lower in the front, they even make a leveling kit if you wanted it. Theres no way an 8' meyers should ever be touching the ground unless you put it there, heck travling ours are 1-1/2 ft in the air, you might have to make an adjustment on the plow, tighten up the chains a link or two. starting in 05 ford shortend that turning radius alot, went with coild springs over a straight axles. Don't know how it works but the 05 1 ton duelly tiurns in a smaller radius then the 01 F-250

UNISCAPER
12-17-2005, 07:37 PM
Having had numerous Ford and Chevy trucks, looking back to the C-6 transmissions, we had no real problems. Looking at any Ford newer than 1990 (give or take a year or so), they have been the most expensive trucks to maintain that we have ever owned. Plainly put, they don't know how to build an automatic transmission, and the straw that broke the camels back was when we lost 4 trannies inside of 47,000 miles on a truck doing nothing more than what the truck was designed to do..

It would not be so bad if they could be rebuilt like the old C-6 for $450.00. These are $22-2,500.00 rebuilds. i know your question pertains to transmissions, but the V-10 engine in particular enjoys popping spark plugs out of the cylinder heads near 100,000 miles, and, the cost to fix that misengineered mess will run $3,500.00 +,-.

The 5.4 is a plainly inefficient engine, gutless in nature, with similar problems in the heads as the V-10. It amazed me when Ford could have used
Hulman-Moody tunnel port 427's in the GT, and chose to supercharge that 5.4 junk.

Regarding plowing, I gladly say I no longer have to mess with the white crap, but I will say this. The lots of 3 of the best transmission shops in the Chicago burbs were filled with Dodge and Ford trucks after a heavy snow. In comparison, there were very few GM products in those lots.....

There is one last note. Ford designed it's transmissions in such a way that they do not pump oil (fluid) in reverse gear. So, no matter what sized cooler you may or may not have in your truck, it is useless when the oil stays dormant and cooks while the truck is driven. We have lost many a front seal and exploded cases, resulting in a fried pump and cooked transmission by backing up under load. The explode so efficiently that they don't even make noise while they blow. Then you put them in forward and you hear all the oil pumping out on the street. I'm not sure if that flaw will be an issue on the flat streets of the Windy City, but out here, it is a killer. A killer that I won't accept in our fleet anymore. I have heard person after person who has cracked cases and went down plowing with their Ford truck and having plowed, and knowing full well how unforgiving people are when you can't get to their lot, I would not be willing to take a chance.....

I hope this helps.

dcondon
12-17-2005, 09:25 PM
FORD BUILT TOUGH!!!!!!! Best truck on the market......... JMO:waving:

AintNoFun
12-17-2005, 09:29 PM
i love our fords. they are all diesel.. but we always seem to have some front end problems after 2 or 3 years from the weight the of the plows. i've had at lease 3 fords ( 2 450s and 1 250) in the shop for some front end work because they are sloppy.. but other than that i can't complain about the trucks. i also have 2 gmc 3500's with gas motors and have had minor problems as well..

GreenMonster
12-17-2005, 09:59 PM
Bill, being disowned by your family is a small price to pay to move over to Fords :)

I don't think I would go for the V-10 though. Gas will kill ya. My 5.4 Triton in an 03 F350 p/u has plenty of tow power and is plowing well this year.

Front end parts are an issue with the Fords. I don't know if they've moved from those silly plastic ball joints yet or not

hole in one lco
12-17-2005, 10:52 PM
the tering radius sucks but thats all i can say bad about them
Im running and 2001 ford f350 8ft meyer polymax and a 2004 f250 same blade both good tough trucks both have the 5.4 . The 2001 has 135000. The 2004 has 25000. miles but gas is the best in the 1992 chevy 1500 305

Brianslawn
12-18-2005, 01:43 AM
My family will probably disown me...but i looking at a super duty V-10 .We just added a 6.0 chevy one ton ,but snow plowing is going great and we need a pickup to add to the fleet.My question is,how does the super-duty F250-auto trans do as snow plow truck? I plead ignorance ,because I know nothing about Ford trucks.Any advice mechanically would be appreciated.

once you go ford. you never go back. get one like mine!

Lawn Masters
12-18-2005, 03:24 AM
once you go ford. you never go back. get one like mine!
Yup. I've got plentiful supplies of Fords here, cause people think they're junk, but in my experience, the 80s trucks with a C4 or C6 tranny, are VERY good trucks.

6'7 330
12-18-2005, 03:35 AM
Thanks fellows ,for all the input..uniscaper especially your post.I have to say I think you are one of the best on this site.I enjoy reading many of posts.You are pro.

My family are all retired GM, dad was a Gm worker ,and 4 brothers were to.So you all can see, the precarious situation I might find myself in LOL.

Jpocket
12-18-2005, 04:58 PM
Thanks fellows ,for all the input..uniscaper especially your post.I have to say I think you are one of the best on this site.I enjoy reading many of posts.You are pro.

My family are all retired GM, dad was a Gm worker ,and 4 brothers were to.So you all can see, the precarious situation I might find myself in LOL.

Then the choice is simple for You GM! My family has been a GM family for over 50 years all the way back to my Great Grandfather. HE bought a brand new 2-ton GMC in 1950 to haul firewood.

I would never buy a ford unless it was a 7.3 IDI or PSD, because I like diesels.
Stay away from Ford GASSERS...JMO:cool:

kc2006
12-18-2005, 06:57 PM
Uniscaper said everything I was going to.

Only thing I would worry about is the transmission, I don't look at ford gas engines so I can't help you with the v10, but my diesel is falling to the transmission problem.

The older E40D and 4R100 did as uniscaper said and also the metals in the clutch packs were aluminum. In 97 they updated them and put a better gearset in them I believe. I'm not sure what the new transmissions got going but I think they finally fixed some problems with the trans. It's useless to even replace the older ones with a stock rebuild because it will happen again. Only way to fix it is upgrading to better high performance clutch packs, better hard parts (gearsets), deeper aluminum finned pans, sunnex valve/tricumulator spring and a huge cooler (or two).

Dirty Water
12-18-2005, 08:38 PM
The V10 engines have a serious flaw in their heads. The spark plugs are only held in by 3 threads, and a common flaw is to have the compression strip the threads and blow the plug out.

LqMustang replaced both of his heads at the stealership for a tune of several grand.

Of course, you could helicoil the stripped plug, but is it really worth the hassle knowing your eventually blow another one?

Horrible engine design, horrible transmission design.

Go Chevy or Dodge for a light/medium duty truck.

BTW, we blew the E40D on our F250 as well.

kc2006
12-18-2005, 08:43 PM
Easy fix for the poor design heads and crap trans...powerstroke/manual trans is great :D

GreenMonster
12-18-2005, 10:26 PM
Go Chevy or Dodge for a light/medium duty truck.

I wouldn't accept a Dodge for towing if you paid me.

AintNoFun
12-19-2005, 10:57 AM
The V10 engines have a serious flaw in their heads. The spark plugs are only held in by 3 threads, and a common flaw is to have the compression strip the threads and blow the plug out.

LqMustang replaced both of his heads at the stealership for a tune of several grand.

Of course, you could helicoil the stripped plug, but is it really worth the hassle knowing your eventually blow another one?

i wonder if thats the same with the lightning motor? i was driving my friends lightning once and blew a plug right outta the motor...