PDA

View Full Version : f350 psd pumping oil out of the exhaust!

captken
12-16-2005, 07:33 PM
I warmed up the engine, hooked up the trailer and left slowly to warm things up. The turbo started whining real bad, there was a grinding noise, then it stopped. [In the space of 1 block] I looked in the rear view and saw plumes of white smoke the likes of which I have never seen. Enough white smoke, that it obliterated from view, the front yards and houses on both sides of the street. Power seemed the same until I got into it a little [I thought oh, w. t. f.] ran OK, but no power and no boost!
I got back to base OK to find oil pumping out of the exhaust. Large puddles of oil. The oil pressure was normal. I checked the oil, not on stick, added oil, restarted engine, no blow by detected by removing the oil filler cap, just a steady stream of engine oil flowing out the exhaust pipe. Now I am regulated to use the f150, kinda sux.

I hope there is no permanent engine damage. This is a first for me. Anyone experienced the same problem, turbo failure?

Scag48
12-16-2005, 07:57 PM
Your turbo is blown. Sorry man. Your oil return line might have blown off resulting in no lubrication of the turbine. Your engine should be fine, but the turbo will probably need to be replaced.

South Florida Lawns
12-16-2005, 08:22 PM
You wasted your money on a stupid international.

Thats too bad i feel your pain, The same thing happened this year to my 05' F450. The dealer warrantied the engine and then I sold the truck. Good luck with it, hopefully you still have the warranty and can get back on the road soon.

lawnmaniac883
12-16-2005, 08:48 PM
Haang on a minute here, you say white smoke out exhaust??? That is diesel from a stuck open injector dude. The oil is from the turbo, to be safe, pull an intake boot off and see if oil is on that side. If yes, you need to clean ALL of it out of the plumbing, intercooler, ect or you may have a runaway diesel. You prolly lost a oil seal on the turbo, it can be remanufactured if there are any diesel shops around. Aside from that, HAHAHA buy a cummins next time.

CLARK LAWN
12-16-2005, 10:16 PM
turbo blown. take hoses off each side and you will find a lot of slop in the turbine bearing. intake side should be clean usually blows out the ex. side if there is some oil in there it will not give you a runaway diesel just smoke if there is alot of oil in the intake it will block boost and you will loose power but it will not run away

UNISCAPER
12-17-2005, 11:21 AM
Make sure you send the oil in to get tested when you change the turbo. The results will tell you if the oil is contaminated either by the turbo, or by something else starting to go.

captken
12-20-2005, 10:43 AM
the shaft was broken, the exhaust turbine blades scoring the housing until it ground to a stop.

Replaced turbo with upgraded item from Ford. I found that the plastic tubing used for the intake was cracked in 2 places. Replaced those. No debris in inter-cooler found, cleaned anyway. Got oil sample, changed oil and filter, after 2 glow cycles finally started. Smoked plenty.
Checked oil pressure, oil level. No drop anywhere. Smoke cleared, got on I-55 South. Nailed it. Plumes of white smoke exiting the exhaust probably made the rush hour traffic home agonizing for some. Pulled over, checked oil level, no change. Checked for blow by removing oil filler cap, no blow by detected.
Back in truck, nail it again, more white smoke.....so I said, w t f....nailed it again, spooling up the turbo to max boost....way more power than before.....impressive white smoke [made headlights of cars behind me disappear] To bad it is Winter and they had their windows rolled up....lol...
Smoke cleared after a couple miles. Drove back, varying speed no smoke. I thought injector problem too, but it cleared up. I may have had a saturated cat converter.

Started right up this morning, white smoke...cleared away quick, no smoke after warm up. Does anyone know where the damn cat converter is on a f 350? I may cat delete if I can find it.....since it is probably partially plugged with burnt motor oil.....there is what looks like a resonater, a swollen section under the cab, can this be the cat? The mechanic that did the work on the turbo didn't know....

UNISCAPER
12-20-2005, 11:15 AM
They didn't start using intergalactic B.F.ers until 2004. They sit near the Y pipe before the muffler. All you have to do is remove the muffler than take a hunk or rebar or a large screw driver and rip that garbage out where it belongs.

And if you think that is worthless, wait until 2007. All diesels, at least at this time, are prgrammed to have an afterburner that will automatically shut the truck off if it is belching too much cud into the air. The cost.....Ranging from 11,000 to 13,000 per unit. At this time, the system is in it's final test stages, so, don't be surprized if it does not fly, i can't imagine bumping the cost up that much....

Lawn Masters
12-20-2005, 11:54 AM
You guys DO know its illegal to drive a vehicle with no cat converter in it if said vehicle came with one new right?

captken
12-20-2005, 01:14 PM
The Ford dealer sells a "cat delete" pipe that goes in place for $65.00 + tax.
Everyone know that diesels are SUPPOSE to smoke and belch forth vile substances into the atmosphere. lol.
Besides, I enjoy mashing my foot to the floor, pulling my rig, leaving a traffic light on a Summer's day next to low to the ground convertibles. Covers them up in black smoke...lol.kenny
now if I can only find the damn thing....

lawnmaniac883
12-20-2005, 09:00 PM
You guys DO know its illegal to drive a vehicle with no cat converter in it if said vehicle came with one new right?

Not illegal unless ya get caught :) .

UNISCAPER
12-20-2005, 10:15 PM
What should be illegal is the liberal woe is me hug a tree types who make those stupid laws. They can't make their case doing it fairly, so, they pump twist and slant data to achieve the results they want to see to get idiotic pollution laws passed. For them I have a fun function they can perform with their convertor.

kc2006
12-20-2005, 10:23 PM
What should be illegal is the liberal woe is me hug a tree types who make those stupid laws. They can't make their case doing it fairly, so, they pump twist and slant data to achieve the results they want to see to get idiotic pollution laws passed. For them I have a fun function they can perform with their convertor.

Yep :waving:

On my 96 the converter is right after the downpipe, like 6" back I think from the downpipe. No more converter for me, got rid of it about a month after I bought the truck, ran alittle better and got WAY better fuel mileage. Some of the newer trucks did indeed come with converters/resonators. I know my brother in laws 99 has one...its soon to go bye bye also.

kc2006
12-20-2005, 10:26 PM
I just checked to see what the cat delete pipe I have is, would of sold it to you for like 20 bucks or something just to get it out of my garage, but its 4" it was in with my exhaust when I bought it. Check ebay, they sell them on there all the time for 30-40 i think. I made my own when i had gotten rid of it, I had a 4' stick of 3.5" that was meant for my car, cut the cat off and then just cut a length to fit in where it was. Not sure how the newer trucks are though.

lawnmaniac883
12-21-2005, 09:46 AM
If you tow heavy, no cat can lead to resonance out the arse. Least with a cummins you get shaken outa the cab lol.