PDA

View Full Version : New Sodding Job

Lawnster
12-16-2005, 09:05 PM
I have owned a lawn business for a few years now. It has only been a side business but I want to take it to the next level. My full time job is selling building materials, so I have a lot of contact with builders and developers. One of my customers is getting ready to start a new development consisting of 275 homes with lots ranging from 100X100 to 150X150. He has asked me to get him a price on sodding these lots after home construction. They are semi-wooded lots with homes ranging from 3500-4500sq ft. I worked on a golf course for several years, so I am very familiar with how to lay sod, I just don't know what a good price is. WHAT DO I DO???????:

Thanks

bigandy
12-16-2005, 10:11 PM
Why not take the area the houses will approxiamtely cover off of the square footage of the lots, allow for driveways and any slopes that would have to pinned, and then give him a ballpark estimate per lot based on your price per square foot for laying sod. On a site that hasnt even been built on yet I dont know how you could get much closer.

Lawnster
12-16-2005, 10:12 PM
I have got all that figured out, I just don't know what to charge for install.

Ground Master
12-16-2005, 10:29 PM
Do you have a sod layers license? You may want to check with your states licensing board and proceed from there.

o-so-n-so
12-16-2005, 11:36 PM
I would start by adding up ALL my cost for one lot. Include your profit and do the math to get a price per sq. ft. or per 1000 sq.

You can lay sod fairly cheap. Its the prep that will eat your lunch. Don't overlook the prep time. I would factor in renting a SS with a harley rake. Time will be important to the builder.

When you get a figure per sq. ft...repost with the figures and how you got that and we will see if your on track.....Job costing 101...:)

cleancutccl
12-17-2005, 10:56 AM
we charge anywhere from 2.50 to 3.00 per yard, including material, just to lay the sod, prep work is done on an hourly cost depending on the machines we will use. Some people do sod very cheap, I know of one company that charges 1.80 per yard to lay it including sod that costs 1.50 per yard.

Precision
12-17-2005, 11:37 AM
I charge $275 per pallet (400 sq ft) includes sod delivered and installed.
my cost on sod and delivery with spotting is $135 per pallet with a discount if I buy over 10 pallets ($130)
ground prep is extra. grading, chem killing, tilling or any of that runs $100+ per hour, billed at a set amount not hourly.

major hills, inablility to spot sod across lawn area raises costs appropriate amount at $100 per man hour for increased labor.

We get sod in 30" x 18" (more or less) squares. if you get yours rolled or in the mega rolls things would be very different.

Another option, especially if you don't have the crew, is just check with a large sod company and sub the job out to them. 5 or 10% fee added on top. make sure you get paid the money from the contractor and then pay the sod company.

Lawnworks
12-19-2005, 07:10 PM
Do you have a sod layers license? You may want to check with your states licensing board and proceed from there.

Are you kidding?

UNISCAPER
12-19-2005, 10:14 PM
Before you even begin to bid on this one, I have to ask you if you can afford to finance the job for 45 days. You will have to make payroll every week as well as pay for fertilizer, sod, fuel for machines and any associated BS pertaining to the job. If you can't finance the work, don't even waste your time bidding. The builder on his best day will pay you within 10 days of invoice, assuming you billed by the 25th, and after you put in 25 days work, supplies, and so fourth.

I got my sod layers license while getting my unit serviced last night. It's just about time to renew it again :):):)

The Cowboy
12-19-2005, 10:27 PM

I didn't know sod laying was illegal. I'd never even thought of a licence for something as stupid as this. I wonder if I am going to need a licence now to drive my mower as well.

UNISCAPER
12-19-2005, 10:36 PM
Is that cow still in the middle of the town Cowboy?

The Cowboy
12-19-2005, 11:17 PM
Is that cow still in the middle of the town Cowboy?

Yes, but in a less prominent position, than it used to be. If I remember right, dad would always have to drive around it right in the center of town. You couldn't help but notice it. It was moved quite a few years ago, now that I think of it.

UNISCAPER
12-19-2005, 11:54 PM
I remember driving past it on the way home from our house on Lake Geneva. We used to get quite a kick out of it.

Popper357
12-20-2005, 12:25 AM
Colorado has a short supply of water and they play public education commercials on their radio stations about how to xeroscape. I saw hundreds of homes with rocks for a lawn. It was very ugly, but the weather and mountains more than make up for it.

They probably need a "Sod Layers License" to sod there.

Ground Master
12-20-2005, 11:50 AM
"Lawnworks" and "The Cowboy" - yes, you both have detected a wee bit of sarcasm!

"Popper357"- Xeriscape is not to be confused with rock lawns. There are very few homes here with rocklawns. Perhaps 1 out of 500.

We have had water restrictions since 2002. Most cities lifted restrictions in the fall of 2005. It appears Colorado's water restrictions may be over. I believe it has had a positive effect in that it has forced everyone to conserve water and to use water that was available WISELY.

stevelsc1
01-03-2006, 01:41 PM
In the Northeast, Long Island NY we charge a prep fee and installation fee

Combined it can run $ 1.05 per sq.ft. on up

The saying goes, cheap becomes expensive if you don't watch you expenses

Have a good new year:drinkup:

dKoester
01-10-2006, 04:00 AM
We charge 2.5x what we payed for it plus prep work.

LandscapePro
01-10-2006, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by Ground Master

Uh huh, Well that depends on where you're located.

Landscape Contracting varies widely from state to state.

In Louisiana you would need to have a Landscape Contractor's License to do the work. Without a current license number, you'd be out a lot of money when the La. Dept. of Agriculture pulled up on the jobsite.

In some states laying sod would fall under Home Improvement, which also requires being licensed.

So it really all depends on where you live.

Mike
La. Landscape Contractor #2576

PurpHaze
01-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Colorado has a short supply of water and they play public education commercials on their radio stations about how to xeroscape. I saw hundreds of homes with rocks for a lawn. It was very ugly, but the weather and mountains more than make up for it.

They probably need a "Sod Layers License" to sod there.

Guess you'd need a "rock placer" license instead??? :p

TPnTX
01-16-2006, 07:18 PM

I thought that was only for jobs over 50k?

Lawnster
01-17-2006, 09:25 PM
No license needed in this part of the world . I got the job by bidding it at .52/sf + 100/hr prep work.Thanks for everything .

justinslawncare
01-19-2006, 01:27 AM
i am brand new to sodding. what kind of prep work need to be done? what kind of equipment? do u think that lawnster will ,ake out at .52/sf? i would like to get in to the sodding this year as there are alot of developments "poping up" any help would be appreciated

scaper27
01-22-2006, 12:02 AM
too low for around here. About $1 per sq ft is the rate around here plus prep work.

Every area is diffrent though, remember that

jayycrew
01-31-2006, 11:39 PM
Does anyone now the step for laying sod. I have weeds and spots of bermuda in front and back yard areas. Do I just till it all up? Do I put a fertilizer done first? Please help!!!!