PDA

View Full Version : septic system replaced-what seed to use

npilcher
12-16-2005, 10:32 PM
last week my septic system was replaced. My entire backyard has NO grass. I have gotten it ready to reseed. What seed would you recommend to help control the mud over the winter? Annual rye- is this the same as winter rye?
Currently the temps are in the 40's and high 20's to low 30's at night.

Creative Lawn Care
12-16-2005, 11:20 PM
I am in High Point and I just redid my front yard about 3 weeks ago. I used about 15% winter rye and 85% tall fescue. Of course the rye came up fast and it has made my yard really nice and green. Honestly though I am not sure what will happen in the spring. Hopefully the rye dies and I will have nice fescue left.

npilcher
12-16-2005, 11:49 PM
with a bare yard would you increase the amount of rye for the winter.
how much coverage did you get with 15% rye.

Creative Lawn Care
12-17-2005, 12:03 AM
I got good coverage and it is thick and green. The reason for the lower percentage of rye is because it is harder to get rid of in the spring and fescue is what you really want around here.

npilcher
12-17-2005, 12:21 AM
thanks I'll stick with a close percentage. Its about 100x200 area. Do you think I can still put the seed out and it come up this late? Was that annual rye? Thanks for your time

TURF DOCTOR
12-17-2005, 12:25 AM
If the ground does not freeze you should get a little to come up we seeded a yard today the ground is part frozen with little sun.

Envy Lawn Service
12-17-2005, 12:35 AM
I recommend Turf Merchant and Lebanon seeds.

Turf Merchant > Turf Gem II
Lebanon > Winning Colors

These are both blends of 3 different complimenting varieties of turf type tall fescue.

It would be best to use a good clean winter rye to establish fast and hold the soil.
It would be best to use a rye variety that thrives better in the colder climates farther north.
This is two fold...
Does what you need it to do better this winter...
Burns out and disappears once the temperature climbs back up.

If you want to use perennial ryegrass, you may want to consider some of the Turf Merchant varieties.

Evening Shade
Patriot 3
Blackhawk

If not you can pick up a good pure clean annual rye for less.
Just be sure whatever you get is certified for purity and weed content.
Last thing you want is a bunch of weeds.

Richard Martin
12-17-2005, 03:24 AM
Do you think I can still put the seed out and it come up this late? Was that annual rye?

Temps for the next 2 weeks in your area should easily support annual rye germination and growth. Although annual rye doesn't last long it is an aggressive grower. Just keep the ground wet and it will grow. Here is your 15 day forecast.

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/forecast-15day.asp?partner=accuweather&myadc=1&traveler=1&zipcode=27284&metric=0