PDA

View Full Version : Tire plug....

gogetter
12-17-2005, 01:12 AM
Alright, here's a dumb question. I have a tire plug kit for my mower tires. Are these plugs the same that they use in car/truck tires?

The reason I ask, I have a screw in my truck tire and if I can just plug it myself with the plug kit that I have, rather then take it to a tire place and pay them $35 or whatever it is, I'd certainly rather do it myself.

Anyone??

sheshovel
12-17-2005, 01:24 AM
No they are not the same .Take your truck in and have them do it.Unless of coarse you have a tire changing machine in your garage like I do.

1MajorTom
12-17-2005, 01:53 AM
Plugs are just temporary means for your tire to hold air till you get to your tire shop. If your tire has good tread on it and you plug it, the plug will allow water to wick down to the steel belts and possibly cause the tire to fail.
Get a radial plug patch at the tire shop. Around here it costs between 8 to 12 bucks balance included. I can explain further in detail if you like, but I'll keep it simple.
Matt

gogetter
12-17-2005, 02:24 AM
Oh well, guess I'll have to take it to a shop then. But I think the last time I took it in for a plug, it ran me about $30-35.

Thanks though Matt.

DLCS
12-17-2005, 10:44 AM
Don't let them plug your auto tires. Make them hot patch them. Plugs are no good for your car or truck for the reasons Matt said above. Actually no tire dealers around here will even plug a car or truck tire. Now on my mower tires, i plug away.

olderthandirt
12-17-2005, 11:09 AM
I've run plugs in car tires for a cple yr until the tire was worn out with out any problems. I just put the tire on the back in case of a blow out.

UNISCAPER
12-17-2005, 11:23 AM
Oh man you tire got screwed....

Thib
12-17-2005, 11:49 AM
I was raised on a farm and we use plugs in any tire 20 inch or smaller. Sometimes we would have two or three plug in our truck tires we just made sure the tire was on the back

1MajorTom
12-17-2005, 12:39 PM
I've run plugs in car tires for a cple yr until the tire was worn out with out any problems. I just put the tire on the back in case of a blow out.

So you dont believe in rotating your tires?
I like going around a sharp bend and my rear tire blows out. To make it worse you're on your way to a wedding wearing your Sunday's finest.
Temporary plug = great to get to tire shop
Radial patch plug = peace of mind. :D
Matt

RedWingsDet
12-17-2005, 01:35 PM
I like going around a sharp bend and my rear tire blows out. To make it worse you're on your way to a wedding wearing your Sunday's finest.
Matt

Gotta question for ya mr tire guru. lol. I have a temp plug on my trailer, I need to get a radial patch plug, how much does it usually cost, and will the air stay in the tire over the cold winter until spring when I bring it back out? or should I get it repaired asap even though im not using it?

sheshovel
12-17-2005, 02:10 PM
You figure it out Premier,Matt already answered this question in his post above.

RedWingsDet
12-17-2005, 02:12 PM
You figure it out Premier,Matt already answered this question in his post above.

Youre right, I just noticed that. Durr, thanks for pointing it out. I guess I should start reading every post from now on.

davidcalhoun
12-17-2005, 02:15 PM
I was in Sams Club the other day and I heard them anounce that they do free tire repairs for their customers. Might be regional thing but it's worth checking out.

olderthandirt
12-17-2005, 04:53 PM
Matt
Actually I have'nt rotated tires in 10 yrs or more, car gets around 30k miles and its time for a new one. But I've run with a plug in the back tire for 2 yrs. And if the tire blows I just call the dealers 800 come get my azz # to fix it, thats what the warrenty for :p

1MajorTom
12-17-2005, 05:13 PM
But I've run with a plug in the back tire for 2 yrs. And if the tire blows I just call the dealers 800 come get my azz # to fix it, thats what the warrenty for :p
Blowouts, calling 1-800 numbers, trying to change a tire on the side of the road while traffic flies by, so many different reasons why it's best not to chance it.
Tragedy strikes in different forms. That blowout can lead to spinning out of control and hitting a car, hurting yourself or worse hitting a car with a couple kids in it. :nono:
I'll let you go on the rotating of tires, we'll just agree to disagree on that one.
Matt

CNE
12-18-2005, 06:13 PM
Oh boy, the old tire plug debate. Here's what they say, ("they" is the tire industry who's profits are selling tires) don't plug a tire. A plug can let water get into the steel belts, blah, blah, blah. Here's what I say (I've been in the automotive business for 17 years) I've plugged tires since about 1982 off and on, worked in the industry since 1988 including tire stores and auto dealerships. If the puncture is small (nail, screw, etc.), not a railroad spike or something, I think it's perfectly safe to plug it. The plugs I have are thick and orange, not the cheapo skinny black ones you can get at autozone. The plug will seal the hole and not allow anything to get into it. I have never seen a tire that has been properly plugged fail. I would plug mine in a skinny minute. There are 2 tires on my truck right now with plugs. One on the rear has 2 in it, one on the front has 1 in it. I am not affraid to drive it and guarantee the plug will still be there when the tire wears out. To each his own, but I know what I'd do. A lot of companies won't plug tires anymore because people have gotten so sue happy nowadays. Look at Firestone. Almost every tire that blew on the Explorers was on the right rear. Ford recommended 26psi in those tires which is not enough. I doubt almost every bad tire Firestone had got installed on the right rear. That crap was Ford's fault, not Firestone's. Other makers used the same tires with no problems. But, Firestone gets sued over it. That's why most places don't plug a tire anymore, not because it's any less safe than it used to be, but because they are scared to.

1MajorTom
12-18-2005, 11:12 PM
The reason dealers don't plug tires EXTERNALLY can be found here:
http://www.texastriallawyer.com/fix-a-flat/Default.htm

Any reputable dealer can fix a tire. They take the tire off of the vehicle, let the air out thru the valve stem, break the tire down, inspect for damage on the inside, and fix the tire accordingly.

I'm not trying to say every tire that gets plugged is gonna fail, but some do.
Matt

General Landscaping
12-19-2005, 02:38 AM
If I remember right, I'm riding on 16 plugs in the truck tires and another 6 or so on a single axle trailer. (there has been a lot of roofing going on in the past couple years)

Never had a problem with plugs. Stick with the thick, gummy orange ones.
Between a plug kit and a liquid CO2 tank; flat tires are back on the road in a few minutes.

For a while; every few gas stops resulted in the discovery of something new in the tire:realmad:

Mowers tires are "Slimed" at all 4 corners, I can almost build a wood deck with all the hardware stuck in 'em