PDA

View Full Version : All those with regular cabs....

mcwlandscaping
12-17-2005, 02:39 PM
Do you find they are too small to keep the stuff you need in your truck (ice scraper and broom, and other things like that). Do you find that they get in the way. I want a regular cab work truck next september but my dad keeps tellin me i will hate it because there won't be any places to keep stuff. Thanks for replies

Michael

South Florida Lawns
12-17-2005, 02:53 PM
Its a Silverado and the only thing that sucks about it is you can't put the seat back to lay down. I like the looks of extended cabs and crew cabs but everyone and their brother has one. I think a regular cab works fine for me.

RedWingsDet
12-17-2005, 06:06 PM
I put my crap behind the seat, on the passenger seat or floor, and I also have a toolbox in back that can hold crap.

I like reg cabs, but my next truck will be a ext cab small bed.

Team_Yamaha
12-17-2005, 06:18 PM
My 94 F150, 97 F350, and 03 F350 are all reg cabs. I feel that for work trucks they are the best. I have a storage system behind the seat I have jumper cables, ice scraper, a few each pairs of gloves, paper towels, grease gun and a few extra tubes, a couple cans of WD40 or PB Blaster http://www.jcwhitney.com/wcsstore/jcwhitney/images/imagecache/10021475.gif;pvce8b17b2e4cd2337
Then I also run weatherguard cross rail boxes in all of the trucks for everything else, chains, binders, road flairs, tool sets, ect.

Gravel Rat
12-17-2005, 06:30 PM
I wouldn't own anything but a regular cab truck I have had a supercab that back seat becomes a junk collector. If it doesn't need to be in the truck I don't carry it.

Usually I have rain gear and high vis stuff behind the seat I have my work gloves shoved under the seat and have my ear muffs on the seat (2 pair). The passenger side floor I usually have rope and straps plus I have othe miscellanous stuff I want to keep dry.

Grassmechanic
12-18-2005, 10:18 AM
Behind the seat on my 97' dodge, there is a rack storage system. Very nice. Buy extra bins and there is plenty of storage area. My 93' F-250, on the other hand, has no behind the seat storage.

MTR
12-18-2005, 12:21 PM
I wouldn't own anything but a regular cab truck I have had a supercab that back seat becomes a junk collector. If it doesn't need to be in the truck I don't carry it.

Usually I have rain gear and high vis stuff behind the seat I have my work gloves shoved under the seat and have my ear muffs on the seat (2 pair). The passenger side floor I usually have rope and straps plus I have othe miscellanous stuff I want to keep dry.

precisely same reason....extended cab is junk collector...wasting dollars.

olderthandirt
12-18-2005, 12:30 PM

Ditto that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ when I traded in the truck I found more coats, boots and empty micky dees bag than would fit in a trash can

Tvov
12-18-2005, 12:40 PM
Strictly for a work truck, regular cab works fine, but some sort of toolbox in the bed I think is necessary. If you are going to use the truck also for personal use, the extended cabs / crew cabs are unbeatable. I just bought an extended cab because I also haul my growing kids around every once in awhile, and I think it is great. My other trucks are regular cabs, and with a growing family there just isn't enough room in them.

Travis Followell
12-18-2005, 12:42 PM
My current truck is a regular cab but my next one will be an ext cab so i'll have plenty of room to collect junk. Just being honest :)

TWUllc
12-18-2005, 04:27 PM
Reg Cabs work fine for me. I have a small toolbox behind my seat for essential tools (screw drivers etc.) incase I'm in a jam without my trailer. No need for extended cab that I see.

LLandscaping
12-18-2005, 08:02 PM
I have a regular cab now, but my next truck will probably be a crew cab. I think a regular cab is fine for a work truck, but I use my for both and there is not enough room to haul people and other stuff.

mcwlandscaping
12-18-2005, 10:44 PM
Thanks all of you, i think ill probably end up with an extended cab, deffinatly don't want a crew cab since i have to plow with it, but, when i go to buy a new truck a few years down the road, itll probably be a work truck reg cab. Thanks again

lawnsbyrj
12-19-2005, 04:36 PM
If you are gonna use it for strictly work then the Xcab can be junk collectors, but I only have one truck (work and play) so I really need to have the Xcab, when we go hunting or rideing ATV's, no fun riding solo pulling everyone's 4 wheeler while theey ride and have a good time.

FINN
12-19-2005, 06:02 PM
I have a crew cab with a 6' bed. It's ok but would not get another. I will get an ext cab with 8' bed or just reg cab w 8'. My only concern for the reg cab is not as much leg room as the others.

beaver
12-19-2005, 06:29 PM
1990 f-250 reg cab- I can keep tow ropes, magnetic lightbar, jumper cables, oil, and other stuff along those lines back there. I have a 1999 ford ranger (for sale) extended cab and found the back to be a junk collector. If you do get a reg cab get the sliding rear window.

Jpocket
12-19-2005, 07:02 PM
I prefer a regular cab because if yor not hauling people in the back you jut accumulate junk, also I like a long bed, and an EXt cab and long bed can get a liitle long esp. for plowing. I will gewt an Extended cab in the future when I have a family, maybe a crew cab if I have more than 1 kid. But for a single guy with 0-2 employees I prefer a regular cab.

captken
12-21-2005, 03:32 AM
But for a single guy with 0-2 employees I prefer a regular cab.

3 riding across on a hot, sticky Summer day is a bit too close for me...What if you are running a crew?
I like the center console, the Captain's chairs/ with the arm rests... put the 3rd, 4th or 5th guy in the back seat, where they belong...

Plus:

Having that arrangement offers you the advantage of being discrete when nature calls, the front doors opens to the front, the small rear doors open to the rear, providing cover from prying eyes....you can rest the doors on each shoulder....on either side of the truck, when you gotta go...you gotta....go.

6'7 330
12-21-2005, 03:38 AM

Same here, I had one that could have passed for a landfill, there was much garbage that had collected.Regular cab's for the maintenance trucks for me.

MTR
12-21-2005, 01:45 PM
Just a sidekick for you all, there is a guy hauling equipment and doing lawns all over town, plus he "LIVE" in his EXTENDED CAB! of 92' F 150!
He mows lawns, lots of them day time and sleep and live in his extended cab by night. Parking just right over by public parks along lakes, boat ramps, so he does his bathroom and shower easily in morning.
I ain't joking, there is fact. no rent, no mortgage....p.o. box for collecting payment, that is all.

P & L Turf
12-21-2005, 10:10 PM
The straight cabs are the best for plowing and all around working. This way you're not straining your neck while plowing. As far as room goes their just alright for storing stuff. I currnetly drive a four door 2500HD Chevy and I love it, but when plowing it just feels like to much work trying to turn and look out the back window. It all boils down to what you're comfortable with, and what you need. Also keep in mind if this truck will be both the company truck and the personal truck. Because if it is, you may want the added room.:cool:

jsbmaine
12-25-2005, 02:52 PM
I have a reg cab. i think it's easier to keep things organized... Also I wouldn't want the length of an x cab with an 8 foot bed. I couldn't give up the long bed, so I haven't considered a long cab.

brucec32
12-26-2005, 10:27 AM
I use a Dodge Ram reg cab. I purchased it instead of the extended cab because the 6' bed models have a wheelbase that is shorter than extended cab models and it will turn tighter and is easier to maneuver in driveway turnarounds, dead end roads etc. I also like the visability when backing up with a regular cab. You don't have to look through seats and C pillars and such to see what the trailer is doing. The newer Dodge and Ford reg cabs have the advantage of a rather large space behind the seat for gear. I have an inflator, battery charger, tool boxes, spare parts, etc back there and still have room to stow a small cooler and maps. If you work alone you also have room on the passenger floorboard for stuff. More than two people in the cab and you have space problems, however.

A reg cab is lighter, so you can make do with less engine if you want, saving cash up front and perhaps fuel too. They're cheaper to buy by about $3,000 or so initially. If you don't need a large bed for hauling stuff often you can upgrade your storage with a tool box on back.

Extended cab trucks are easier to sell when newer, since most people need the space for families. But since a reg cab costs less to begin with it quickly enters the sweet zone where people are just looking for good used work trucks. (under $15,000) and for the same overall expenditure you can probably buy a new reg cab a year earlier. For my situation the money is better spent on keeping a newer and more reliable truck. Towing and making short trips all day in traffic is hard on them.

The extra space inside in a crew/club/extended cab truck is nice. I miss mine sometimes. I've had 5 reg cab and 2 extended cab pickups. But when I have to make a tight turn into a line of oncoming traffic w/o entering their lane or hopping a curb, I'm glad I have the more maneuverable truck.

J&R Landscaping
12-29-2005, 06:21 AM
If it is just you and 1 helper, a regular cab will work ok but i still pile a lot of crap in mine and cleaning it out becomes a regular chore. If oyu have a big crew however it becomes a task of bringing more than one truck to the jobsite and that can be costly. Figure in what you would spend opn the vehicle, fuel, maintnece and what ever else.

I agree with having a toolbox on the truck. I have one and keep all my mainnece supplys for the truck in there. I also have a tool box on the front of my trailer and that stores tools and other stuff for my mowing equipment.

The choice in cabs will depend on the size of your company, your budget and the usage potential of the veicle. Always remember though if ou plan to grow a company larger, a bigger truck may be nessecary within a couple of years.

Joe
J&R Lawn and Landscaping

South Florida Lawns
12-30-2005, 10:34 PM
Oh yeah,

Subs sound horrible in a full size regular cab.

Just had two 10's in there the other day and there is just not enough space for the waves to create a decent sound.

TWUllc
12-30-2005, 11:22 PM
Oh yeah,

Subs sound horrible in a full size regular cab.

Just had two 10's in there the other day and there is just not enough space for the waves to create a decent sound.

I have to disagree with you on this one. :waving: Two 10's is too much in a reg cab. One quality 10inch sub, placed in a correctly tuned box will do more then you need. If you don't need the room behind the seats, you'll be fine. Done right, and people will hear you coming. (I build custom speaker boxes in my free time :) Love car audio )

South Florida Lawns
12-30-2005, 11:39 PM
I have to disagree with you on this one. :waving: Two 10's is too much in a reg cab. One quality 10inch sub, placed in a correctly tuned box will do more then you need. If you don't need the room behind the seats, you'll be fine. Done right, and people will hear you coming. (I build custom speaker boxes in my free time :) Love car audio )

Will it still hit hard and sound good?

I'm gonna give it a try, gotta go get more MDF.

TWUllc
12-31-2005, 10:03 AM
Will it still hit hard and sound good?

I'm gonna give it a try, gotta go get more MDF.

What size truck are you putting it in? Mid size? Full size? What kind of sub are you planning on using?

MOZE4MUNY
12-31-2005, 11:01 AM
I "deep cleaned" my extended cab Silverado yesterday. Boy, did it ever collect tools, edger blades, gloves, jackets and trash. Granted this truck sees double duty as a work truck and my daily driver...but geez! Those of you who like std cabs for work trucks are right. Too much storage are can sometimes be bad. In a perfect world I would run regular cab work trucks and personal rigs would have the luxury of extended or double cabs.

South Florida Lawns
12-31-2005, 12:26 PM
What size truck are you putting it in? Mid size? Full size? What kind of sub are you planning on using?

Chevy Silverado standard cab. I already had 2 JL Audio 10's in there the other day and did not like the way they sounded.

Took them out and put them in the Suburban and wow, its perfect.

I kinda knew it was too much speaker for my truck, thats why I'm gonna try only 1 sub.

mkjsunscapes
12-31-2005, 05:41 PM
I never cared for the extended cab until I became an owner of one.
(92 F-150) It is very convenient going to a job with all of us in one truck. As far as collecting stuff in the back seat, we made it their job in the back to keep it clean. (even though it was some of my stuff I would throw back there) Also, an extended cab also allows my wife and my three sons all fit to go to home depot on the weekend.

Mike

nobagger
12-31-2005, 06:37 PM
How much stuff do you need? In summer take all the winter stuff out and vise/verse. I have a reg. cab and I plow so I keep extra fluid and hoses for the plow behind the seat along with a blanket and some other stuff. Just don't be a slob!:blob4: