PDA

View Full Version : Fall Clean Up Effiecency

Markf
12-18-2005, 10:31 AM
Gentlemen,
Now that the snow stopped us from our clean-ups, the question that I pose is:
Being that most of our properties are 3/4 acre and up, how do you handle the wall of leaves that is created when you blow (we use a 10hp Little Wonder W/B)? What I ended up doing is getting as far as I could, then went in front of the wall, blew that area into the woods, then went back on the other side of the wall and keep blowing that until I reached the woods. Most of the time, we create a U shape, if for whatever reason a straight line cannot be created. All of the properties that we maintain have areas where we can dispose of the leaves. (aka woods). We are considering purchasing the JRCO Leaf Rake (does anyone know of another brand or type?) or the new W/B blower. It has an 18hp engine. The local dealer claimed it knocked one of his guys off his feet when he walked in front of it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Mark

kc2006
12-18-2005, 10:49 AM
Back when I worked for another company we would have 20-30 1 acre lots, most would be blown into woods. We had older 11hp little wonders and a new 13 hp i believe billygoat. The billy goat was good for getting the walls down because you can aim the air up high and knock the wall down then keep at it with the other blowers. We'd also do like you said, getting infront and blowing some of that out first.

I ended up using just the front of my w/b this year to push leaves, it did a really good job but still left alot of leaves down. Next year I'm going to build my own leaf plow for the w/b, really wouldn't be that hard to build if you have a welder.

AL Inc
12-18-2005, 11:22 AM
Mark, I deal with a lot of properties that are like that. I learned a long time ago not to waste time pushing huge piles with the blowers. As soon as the leaves start to get heavy, we make a pile and keep moving. I usually have one man then get them on a tarp and drag it with the Stander to either the woods or the vac.
I would say in your situation, go with the leaf plow before you go with the more powerful blower.

scaper27
12-18-2005, 12:12 PM
leaf plow is good.

But i think the best way is like what Al said. Thats what we do. Make piles and then tarp it in the woods. Saves gas and takes about the same amount of time as using a leaf plow, plus you can tarp them further into the woods

edward hedrick
12-18-2005, 06:42 PM
Ihave meg-mos on my Walker. Depending on leaf thickness, If real thick

my 52 Toro w gators at 4". Then Walker at 3" dump in the woods. Almost

didn't need wb blower or tarp. avg 1-2hrs /house.Ed

Brianslawn
12-18-2005, 06:47 PM
W A L K E R M O W E R S ! ! !

Jpocket
12-18-2005, 06:54 PM
You definitely need a leaf plow, i have a home made one it's as big as the plow on my truck, feather light though.

Markf
12-18-2005, 07:25 PM
Gentlemen,
I appreciate the responses. JPocket, can you post a pic or PM it to me. Thanks.
Mark