PDA

View Full Version : What problems, if any, is there with this truck?

Jason Rose
12-20-2005, 05:41 PM
I'm in the market for a new (used) work truck. I currently have an '88 Ford F-250 4x4 with a 460 in it. It has more problems again than it's worth... Time to replace it my mechanic told me!

The one I found is almost an exacr replacement for what I have, which is a good thing since it will be easier to transfer the dump bed onto the new one.

It's a 2000 FORD F-250 4x4 Super Duty. Reg cab, long bed, Automatic, 70,000 miles, Triton V-10, (sticker is at $12,995, which is about $2,000 under KBB retail.
Overall it looks very clean, didn't see any buildup of any fluids under the hood or under the truck. Tires are 75% and it has alloy wheels.

I like the 4x4 just cause I'm used to having it. May only use it once a month, but when I need it I NEED IT! Plus A newer truck with the 4x4 would allow me to get a plow!

Other options are Dually 2 wheel drives with regular length frames or stretch frames. Both options would require complete new dumpbeds costing 5 to 6 grand... That's why I lean towards the Ford I found.

I don't know much about vehicles, I can do maintenence and replacing small stuff but I'm no mechanic. I don't know JACK about the Triton V-10's. The salesman (not a ford dealer either) said they are really good engines. That's as much as I know. HOw bout fuel milage??? I'm getting 5 to 6 with my 460, so even 10 is an improvement!

MY family are GM fanatics. Myself I really believe that any of the big 3 makers (GM, Ford and Dodge) are all going to be good trucks and all probably have their problems. My personal truck is a GMC Z-71, it has a few quirks that need fixed but overall it's great, but I'm not married to or obsessed with GMC...

Thow me some opinions please!!!

CLARK LAWN
12-20-2005, 05:53 PM
trans. are junk on these not good for a work truck find one with a stick they last a whole lot longer and if you know how to drive it you can easily get 100,000 plus miles on one clutch

Gravel Rat
12-20-2005, 07:36 PM
It all depends on what you want to do with the truck if its just a work truck carrying tools etc and pulling the odd trailer a srw P/U will do fine if you want a dump truck then your looking at a dually and if you want to put a mason box on it a F-350 is going to be borderline a F-450 is a better choice.

As for a truck with a automatic I wouldn't own one only manual transmissions for me just make your employees learn how to drive a manual transmission if you let them drive the truck.

The V-10 powered trucks will get better fuel mileage over the 460 that you have that got max 8 mpg. The fuel tanks on a 460 powered truck cave in like a juice box when you suck on the straw. Good engines they have good power and last for a long time they just like the fuel thou.

As for 4wheeldrive in my mind should be standard issue on any kind of work truck all it takes for a person to get stuck is back onto someone wet lawn and your stuck. Don't mis judge the usefullness of 4wheeldrive like I said it should be standard issue on all srw trucks.

My dad was never a beleiver in 4wheeldrive he always used to say you don't need that when will you ever use it. Well he bought a used Ranger 4x4 he drove that for 2 years it wore out but he did get used to having 4wheeldrive. He bought a low kilometerage 96 F-150 2wd guess what he misses his truck goes no where when it gets on anything slippery.

My brother has a Toyota 4x4 with a flatdeck with stock size wheels nothing special the truck gets stuck in 2wd everywhere put the truck in 4wheeldrive and it will go anywhere. The truck usually has 400lbs of tools on it and it still gets stuck in 2wd.

I'am not so sure on plowing I don't know how you guys make any money at it your rusting your truck out and putting strain on the truck.

If your buying any truck buy a lowest mileage truck you can get gas or diesel don't buy into the crap people try push oh its a diesel its just breaking in at 200,000 miles thats B.S. .

Good Luck on the truck search

Jason Rose
12-20-2005, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the info gravel rat.

I'm the only driver, I still prefer an automatic, I pull a 20' lawn care trailer everyday with it, but only around town, no highway. Lots and lots of stop and go! Sticks are a PITA to hook up to a trailer, especially if there's any kind of incline involved!

Yes it will be a dump bed (flat bed with 2' side boards). My current F-250 has the dump bed on it currently and honestly I have never had much problem with load weight. 90% of the time I'm hauling grass. At the very heaviest I can get 3,000 pounds smashed and heaped on there. When I do haul rock I just know my limitations. (I had about 4 to 4.5 tons of sand on my ford one day, it wasn't pretty, I didn't want that much dumped on there, but it got to where I needed it and the bed hydraulics dumped it!

Sure a dually with a 10 or 12 foot dump flat bed would be great! But the expence of a bed, hoist, and the LABOR would be more than I can bear... Not to mention when it comes time to put 6 tires on it, and god forbid if they are 19.5" rims! can you say arm and a leg??? lol!

Keep the replies coming! I'm trying to research transmission issues....

Gravel Rat
12-20-2005, 10:48 PM
If you are doing alot of stop and go ya automatic is nice but man when a juicer decides to blow up your looking at big $$$$. If you are looking at even newer Fords with the Torqshift then it would be better the transmissions in the 99 and newer are slightly better over the E4OD.

I would also look for a srw F-350 people say its the same as a F-250 but the F-350 has the "Legally Higher GVW" .

UNISCAPER
12-20-2005, 11:11 PM
The transmission is a hand grenade with a slow timed pin, and at 70K, if it has nt had at least one replacement I would be very surprized. That repair will dance around the $22-$2,500 mark. The V-10 has about another 20K before one or several of the spark plugs will pop out of the holes because the morons who designed the cylinder heads only used 3 threads when they should have had at least 8. That repair will cost you 3K plus.

Since Kansas is fairly flat, the transmission should last somewhat longer as lng as you don't back up under a load for any length of time.

kc2006
12-20-2005, 11:22 PM
Bill you hit the nail on the head about how long the trans will last. Originally my E40D went out at 70,000 miles. The latest has lasted 180,000 miles, acts funny now and then but its still there, hope it lasts about one more year too.

xcopterdoc
12-20-2005, 11:38 PM
Get the VIN number and go to your local Ford dealer and ask them for an OASIS report. This will list any warranty repairs, outstanding and completed recalls and TSB's. I took care of a fleet of the same trucks here in NC for a large landscaping and lawn maint outfit. We never had a tranny failure nor any plugs that blew out. Although, both are known to happen. Sometimes the plug thing happens when a shade tree or half ass tech replaces the sparkplugs at or near the 100K mark. If you plan on keeping this rig for the long term I'll tell ya right now, that the V-10 or any of Fords modular engines aint for the faint of heart! The parts are very pricey and they suck to work on. Bottom line... Its a 6 yr old work truck.. buyer beware!

Jason Rose
12-21-2005, 01:16 AM
Yikes... That's about all I can say. I also signed up to the Ford forum and did a good bit of looking on there. I think there is about 5 times the members there than even HERE, it's very overwelming and hard to find exact info, but I did find several posts about the sparkplugs, as well as there's one or 2 on here about that problem.

Basically I would be stepping out of the frying pan, from my '88 F-250, right into the fire with this one! Parts and repairs on the '88 have been ALWAYS the highest priced as they can get for that beast. If i wasn't so disorginized I would love to see how much exactly Iv'e spent on it in reapirs in the past 5 years. I do know it's over 10 grand... If I listed everything they might ban me for taking up more bandwidth than the calender girl thread!!!

I have a few I'm going to go look at tomorrow. One specifically is a 2000 GMC 1 ton HD Dually, flatbed, 2 wheel dr, 454, 52k miles. Can't remember if it's an auto or stick... Do know that it has a pto on the transmission for a dumpbed already (which would lend me to believe it would have to be a 5 speed, right?) $14,995

Jason Rose
12-21-2005, 01:21 AM
. Sometimes the plug thing happens when a shade tree or half ass tech replaces the sparkplugs at or near the 100K mark.

In other words they waited way too long? 100k seems a long time for a set of plugs... On the ford forum one posted that sometimes it could be attributed to 'off brand' plugs used rather than using ford brand plugs.

About the spark plugs blowing out the head, I understand that it is caused by carbon build up on the plugs. The only advise I have gotten on this is to change the plugs every 50,000 with a double platinum Ford plug.

Gravel Rat
12-21-2005, 03:31 AM
Ouch 454 you really like the gas guzzlers don't ya good engine like the 460 but man they love the fuel too I can't remember if that year still had TBI but that truck will be 10 mpg tops.

The transmission in the truck will prolly be a NV4500 5spd a good transmission most automatics don't have a PTO provision the newer ones do but that truck wouldn't.

That truck may even have 4:56 gearing it will pull a house off its foundation but will scream at highway speeds. You better hope its got 4:10s so the local gas stations don't ask for your wallet everyday.

You can tell if that truck has seen some heavy loads on a regular basis by the overload spring tips if the tips are dished (worn) the truck has seen some heavy loads in its day.

Those older Chevies are good trucks you should beable to bark the rear tires with a 454 and 5spd as Chev runs those darn 225/75R16s they are too small.

MTR
12-21-2005, 07:02 PM
If you are doing alot of stop and go ya automatic is nice but man when a juicer decides to blow up your looking at big $$$$. If you are looking at even newer Fords with the Torqshift then it would be better the transmissions in the 99 and newer are slightly better over the E4OD.

I would also look for a srw F-350 people say its the same as a F-250 but the F-350 has the "Legally Higher GVW" .

Gravel Rat, is it really big deal to run manual 5-6 speed stick shift than running automatic tranny if you use truck both for mowing and personal use? Since you are very experienced with truck especially in your field, please share more info. Stick shift is very primitive and nothing much into change in future, if you can explain based on your trucking experience.
Thank you.

Gravel Rat
12-21-2005, 07:44 PM
Where I'am we have steep grades where you need the engine braking capabity you prolly don't have 10% grades in Florida. Most P/Us with automatics around here burn through a set of brakes faster than a comparable truck with a manual.

I can only see a manual being beneficial if you live in a city with heavy stop and go traffic. When you live in a rural area like I do once your on the road you only shift from OD to 4th and back.

Another thing when you are carrying up to a 8000lb payload grossing the truck to 16,000lbs you need the transmission to hold the truck back.

P & L Turf
12-21-2005, 11:04 PM
Screw that V-10 and look for a diesel. They'll last alot longer and you'll have more power. You can't beat that power stroke. I've got two of them and I wouldn't get rid of them until the bodies are ready to fall off.:cool:

Jason Rose
12-21-2005, 11:21 PM
Well thanks for all the info guys. I think I have decided against that truck, sounds like a lemon waiting to happen. TO ME. That's the luck I have... Someone else could buy in and drive the wheels off it and never have a problem. I'd buy it and it'd blow up in a week!

I have posted a new thread, found another truck. It's a chevy diesel, so I would assume you guys posting about this ford would be ford fans... Hopefully I can get some feedback on it tonight...

Thanks guys!

Scag48
12-22-2005, 03:44 AM
Don't understand how guys have such hard times with Ford auto's, 150K on our '99 F350 PSD and she pulls strong everyday. I think the torque converter is about to blow, but at 150K what can you expect?

UNISCAPER
12-22-2005, 10:53 AM
"Don't understand how guys have such hard times with Ford auto's, 150K on our '99 F350 PSD and she pulls strong everyday. I think the torque converter is about to blow, but at 150K what can you expect?"

Scag:

Yours is the exception and not the rule. And, with the ridiculously over pricing of trucks due to 4th grade educated union card carrying robots with enough retirement benefits an army, I fully expect, and do not think it is too much to ask to have a 300,000 mile truck with no engine or transmission issues, automatic or not. The 05 GM pick we added to the fleet cost more than my first house did, and that house is still standing. So why the hell can't Ford get it right with their trannies and for that matter why can't vehicle manufacturers get it right with making a truck last? Simple. they have pre engineered things to ony last a certain time so you have to keep buying new.