PDA

View Full Version : Drainage queston

Ocutter
04-02-2001, 09:39 PM
A customer of mine has a patio in his back yard. His drainage is very poor. Last year the lawn cutter could not cut the grass in the back area because of this. I was telling him that 4" perforated corrgated piping needed to be installed to take away the surface water.

Say you are looking at the back of the house. The area in question is 45' wide and 21' long. The 21 feet slopes towards you (wooded area) with a drop of 6-8 inches. Its on a very level lot. In order to insure all surface water to be drained off, how far do I put the pipes on center. Would it be 3', 5', 7' or more? Thanks guys/gals. Chris.

turfman99
04-02-2001, 09:51 PM
What type of soil ?? Annual precipitation ??

What do you intend to back fill with ??

paul
04-02-2001, 10:03 PM
Are you saying that in 21' you have 6" pitch? I would think you could regrade the lot to make that work. If not, thenpipe might be next but see if the county or city has a grading plan on file for his lot. Then go from there.

Ocutter
04-02-2001, 10:10 PM
Turfman- soil type- wet, always wet. I didnt intend to backfill with anything other than the soil thats there. Now that you mention it, some pea gravel might be in order.

Paul- This guy is on a budget and will be moving in a year. So nothing too grand. Just a quick fix.

EarthWorks
04-02-2001, 10:44 PM
Look closely to find out if this is surface water or if the water is coming from under ground(wet weather spring). If it is surface water the area should be able to be graded for positive drainage. If underground a french drain should be installed. Find the parts that the water is coming from and start there. If you try to cut corners on this job it may not solve the problem then not only will this customer be mad but also the people that will live there next when he tells them that you instlled something that didn't work.

turfman99
04-02-2001, 10:47 PM
By soil type I meant clay,loam,silt, bedrock etc.

As Paul mentioned, with 6" fall in 21 feet, I suspect that you have solid clay with no percolation. With a good soil, that should drain well naturally.

If the native soil is not draining, why would you put that back on top of the tile and seal up the drain tile??

Sand would be a better medium that pea gravel. Gravel will hold and radiate heat off in the summer and cause stripes.

grade
04-02-2001, 11:06 PM
THERE IS NO QUICK FIX TO THIS TYPE OF PROBLEM WHEN THE HOUSE WAS BUILT THEY PROBABLY USED CLAY BASED FILL THEN TOPSOILED TAKE ELAVATIONS OF PROPERTY DETERMINE PITCH REMOVE IMPERVIOUS MATERIAL ABOUT 18" REFILL WITH SAND BASED FILL TOPSOIL SEED