PDA

View Full Version : Boston area - K&R Landscaping - This Old House

harryhomeowner
12-21-2005, 05:24 PM
Boston guys - Do you ever see K&R landscaping around? K&R is the company owned by Roger Cook from This Old House.

Does he only do high end? Does he cut any lawns? How is his reputation?

Just curious? If I needed something done I'd use him and, expect to pay a premium too.....

Additionally, are any of you so busy that you purposely charge high to make it worth your while?

Just curious.

AGLA
12-21-2005, 06:25 PM
I don't know much more about Roger than anyone else, but I'll give you food for thought on the second part.

When a landscape company is very busy they usually reach their limit of production. I mean that they can only manage so many people and so many jobs at once.

Not every job yields the same profit for the same amount of time. That is because some move a greater amount of material that is marked up, or higher yielding materials. If a company can consistantly sell jobs that take a week to do that net more than other jobs that take a week to do, then they will either only take on the higher yielding job or price the other job to get the same yield.

It is like owning a corner restaurant that only has so many seats. While you could sell everything from hotdogs to caviar, you might be able to pack the place just selling caviar. You would be losing money by displacing the caviar eater to seat the hotdog eater. You could open a hotdog stand as well, but only if you can manage both. If you can't, you will lose the caviar business due to poor service, not having enough staff, or the place is not kept up as well, or you don't keep up with inventory.

Landscaping is a service that depends on people, equipment, and management more so than on plants and other materials. When you get busy, you can't just order more people and equipment, the management capability has to be there as well. That is the limiting factor, much like the number of seats in the restaurant.

So, yes, when things are busy with more profitable jobs, the more simple jobs are usually priced higher because the work force and its management is being displaced from those other jobs.

rosolar
02-19-2006, 01:34 PM
I saw K&R in Concord center doing a big job. I know this old house did a job just out side concord.