PDA

View Full Version : Estimates and Contracts

Slcareco
12-21-2005, 07:17 PM
Hey I'm new to the owning aspect of this industry and had a couple of question about estimates and contracts.

Estimate:
After going to the new clients house and taking measurements of the lawn and see the property for w/e else what is the approach to giving the client the estimate? mail, email, in person? do you break down the price? Do they need a copy of something on paper of the price or just the quote?

Contracts:
I made 2 contracts so far, one for strictly lawn maintenance and the other for everything else. For new customers do i send them the contract with the contact info blank for them to fill out and send back with a self addressed and stamped envelope? Or is that only for current clients, if so what do i do with a new account? how do i approach them.

Please leave input thanks....

hoskm01
12-21-2005, 11:17 PM
Personally, I break down the prices of each aspect of the job. Sprinkler system is xxx dollars, 20 plants is xxx dollars and so on. Specify that you allow for so much room for error- 10-15%, so that any major unforseen costs can be added to the price. Have a line at the bottom, they can sign next to the paragraph stating that this constitutes a contract, bla bla bla and you're done. I ask how they would like it delivered. Email is most common, more convenient for them and certainly for me as well.

I would only have a completed contract given to a customer, they simply sign it. This avoids corrections to be made if you know what the details of the contract are going to be before you write it (or fill in the blanks)

Slcareco
12-22-2005, 03:02 PM
tell me how this is, i made it strictly for lawn maintenance....

bigtime
12-28-2005, 10:09 PM
I don't agree with the $25 clean up fee on equipment for mowing through pet droppings. We mow alot of properties that have pets and do not charge for cleanup.

AssuredServicesCo
12-29-2005, 12:14 AM
I recommend adding a schedule for the year for flowerbed service since alot of people will wait til their out of control after after service. This can affect your available time to service a property during busy times of the year. It helps us keep our flow going and locks in money for us. Just a suggestion.

Slcareco
12-29-2005, 08:46 PM
well this is strictly for just lawn maintenance, you dont mind dog crap on ur equipment? lovely

scaglawnsnj
12-29-2005, 11:15 PM
well this is strictly for just lawn maintenance, you dont mind dog crap on ur equipment? lovely

if a client has pets, i add an extra 5.00 per mow. without them even knowing it. chances are that you will step in it. mower will roll over it. its a mess and stinks up the truck. 5 bucks is a bargin if you ask me..maybe i'll add 10 from now on.

Landscape25
12-30-2005, 03:43 PM
I would drop the by before 20 under the payment section.

Slcareco
12-31-2005, 01:32 AM
so then what should i do for the pet dropping portion of it? Any more suggestions for me? what else do i need besides this aggreement? list of services for the client to check, etc?I'm trying to figure out the steps of landscaping and what comes before and after the contract portion...?

Landscape25
12-31-2005, 08:15 PM
You listed all of the services didn't you. I actually have only done one contract and usually just deal with proposal forms. The contract just has to be specific so there are no questions about what you are providing as a service. If you are providing fertilizer and you put it in the contract you want to put the type, number of applications and times of year for example.

Green Jelly
01-09-2006, 12:30 AM
I'm making my first commercial bid. Don't know where to start? Is the lawnsuccess manual a good investment. Willing to share sales experience with someone for commercial lawn experience! Feel free to email at dwuch@comcast.net :alien:

scmel04
01-11-2006, 11:30 PM
i think you should ask me for help on your forms :waving: heh gotchyaaa

topsites
01-12-2006, 06:30 AM
I don't agree with the $25 clean up fee on equipment for mowing through pet droppings. We mow alot of properties that have pets and do not charge for cleanup.

On that note, I don't mean no harm but I expect customers to take care of their pets, which includes picking up after it.

I don't have a problem running over (or stepping in) a FEW piles as I am aware it may not be possible to pick up every last poop but I REFUSE to service a yard where nobody ever picks up after the dog, so to speak.

Been there, I hate the smell of poop in my truck... I'll tolerate it if it came from one out of 3-4 piles they might not have seen, but it's a whole different story when the backyard looks like some WWII minefield (thou it does build humility).

Far as charging for it? I haven't.
However, I am not responsible for picking up OR for damage to object(s) in yard. This includes toys, sprinkler risers, really anything left out or tricky bs, if I run over it and it is destroyed, sorry. In retrospect, the customer is not responsible for damage to my machine(s) resulting for any reason (roots, water meters, etc.)

topsites
01-12-2006, 06:36 AM
so then what should i do for the pet dropping portion of it? Any more suggestions for me? what else do i need besides this aggreement? list of services for the client to check, etc?I'm trying to figure out the steps of landscaping and what comes before and after the contract portion...?

Do like the other guy said - Charge an invisible fee (i.e.: remove that part from the contract).

Come to think of it I might start doing that, I like the idea of 5 bucks for poop.

Miguel Perez
02-03-2006, 11:29 AM
If the homeowner buys the sod how much should i charge just for the labor for a 400 sq ft job. Any help would be helpful. That would laying the sod, preping the lawn before the new sod in layed

CutApproved
02-03-2006, 11:56 AM
Miguel, not sure why your asking this here,, but charge whatever you charge per hour.. right?
Maybe add a little to the hourly price since they got cheap and bought the sod themselves..

Also please don't ask what you should charge per hour,, thats all up to what you need to make per hour including insurance,gas,whatever else.

And about this thread,, I would just keep asking the customer to PLEASE try to remember to cleanup the poop, otherwise you'll need to charge more.

Jdmtnbikr
02-03-2006, 02:21 PM
tell me how this is, i made it strictly for lawn maintenance....

I would replace "Act of God" with "Act of Mother Nature" or "Act of Nature". you never know in these PC days who may be offended ;)