PDA

View Full Version : mulch pile wall

ripple
12-22-2005, 06:48 AM
In the process of design a containment system for mulch and stone deliveries. I would like to keep the two seperate but right next to each other. Any ideas on what I should use to build a "U" shapped wall to hold the mulch?
If I get deliveries over 50yds....how big will the "U" shaped wall need to be?
I was thinking of building something out of 8'x8' posts sticking out of the ground with 12" wide slats all around?
WIll the 8'x8' posts(in concrete) hold the deliveries of mulch and stone?
I looked into the concrete barriers but I am not sure I like the looks and they are kinda of cost prohibitive!

ripple
12-24-2005, 03:18 PM
Maybe this has been covered here many times....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

miacharger
12-24-2005, 10:29 PM
pretty much anything will hold mulch, we used a chain link fence attatched to 4 inch posts, every 4 feet with 1and 1/2 inch horizontal runners every two feet. For gravel and stone we attatched used guard rail to the same spacing of pipes, and it never fell over. The wood should hold the mulch but watch out when you need to scoop it out with the loader. Using a backhoe or good sized wheel loader improperly could compress the mulch and damage the fence. If you wanted to use wood for holding stones, why not try RR ties , some stuck in the ground and the others stacked up? That was a common way of holding gravel in nurseries here.

MarcSmith
12-25-2005, 12:40 AM
rip.

go to a concrete manufactureing plant. they usuallyhave large blocks, 6'x3'x3' they call them over pours. basicaly when a truck comes back to the plant and a bit of extra crete they dump it in a form. around here they sell them for 25 bucks each...it takes some doing to get em home,, they weigh about 4000 lbs. They also usuallyhave a groove cut in the bottom and raised channel on the top so you can interlock them.. We have stacked them 3 high with out any back suport and have no problems...

youcould always buy some Jersey Barriers.....

when you figure out your size just pretend your drop area is a cube and length x Width X height to get a rough value on cubic space, sice mulch in delivered in cubic yards you'd be close enough...

PM me so I don't forget I have some pictures at work...and I'll post em...

ripple
12-25-2005, 12:22 PM
Marc....thanks for the response. For some reason I can not pm yet. Anyways the muclh pile and stone piles are going to be out front of my shop so I want to make the barriers look nice and professional.

MarcSmith
12-25-2005, 07:36 PM
The concrete overpours are not unnattractive, they can be painted....and will take a helluva lot of abuse from the equipment operators...

sheshovel
12-26-2005, 06:21 PM
Marc is correct,thats how my supplier holds his rock and mulch..it dosent look bad either

MarcSmith
12-27-2005, 08:36 AM
I have attached 4 pics.

Pics 1 and 2 are from the bins I built at TruGreen each bin holds about 20 yards, I had two mulch bins wich held 200yds each. but they are not pictured

Pics 3 and 4 are of a Sand/salt bin a client wanted us to build on their site for their sand and salt. these are free standing I showed a closeup of the rebar block movement preventions system we came up with.... Hope this helps give folks an idea.

Grassmechanic
12-27-2005, 10:45 AM
We built ours out of 12" cinder blocks filled with concrete.

Doug Z.
01-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Around here, most of the guys use the blocks from the concrete companies-I've notice that some of them look pretty rough, but one or two of the company makes really nice looking ones. This is what I'm planning to use, i just have to arrange a loader for a day to move them around. As far as the mulch is concererned, most of the companies just have those in their own piles, with no barriers. Right now I've got mine in an indepentant pile, soon though, i'd like to have a back wall, mainly for pushing against when loading, and the pile is small.

HazellLawnCare
01-03-2006, 03:23 PM
I was just quoted $20 for a 2x2x6 blocks from a concrete company about an hour away. Now I just have to find an economical way to get them here. Do any of you have any ideas?

MarcSmith
01-03-2006, 03:34 PM
when we did the ones at trugreen we hired a trucking compnay for a day. set us back about 700 bucks and we got enough blocks to create a bin 30 feet long 8-9 feet tall and 12 feet wide...enogh to hold 40 tons of sand.... I imagine you could get close to 7-80 yards of mulch if you were able to pile it up...

SLSNursery
01-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Rates for blocks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have purchased several thousand blocks over the years and the prices have ranged from in the $20s into the $40s. When we get a deal on2x3x4 blocks, I'll buy a bunch and then sometimes even sell them. One at a time from our shop we get $55-65 each. The cost of the block isn't always a major cost factor though, since they weigh about 3800# each, freight and handling is a major factor. This limits the amount that can be legally transported, and you need to be able to unload them. If you can unload them quickly, that is even better. Basically we hire flatbed tractor trailers to haul for us, and they'll get about 14 per load. We used to unload with a forklift and/or backhoe. Now we use an excavator, which makes it quick, sometimes 2 at a time. When the meter is running for trucking, that makes the most sense. However, if you don't have a machine, or can't get one easily, this will add substantially to the cost. The only way to cost average down would be to get a large number of blocks so the setup and delivery costs are spread over that number, rather than all that effort for just a few blocks.

Stafford Landscaping
02-17-2006, 07:52 PM
I buy my mulch by the tractor and trailer load and needed somthing to keep it from going everywear until we use it. And just so happend that a construction crew was putting in a water line close to me, and they were hauling off some asphalt and rather large rocks so I told them that they could dump it in my dump area. I took and broke the asphalt with my loader then stacked it up like a wall around a couple of sides and for the front next to the road I used the rock build a wall so it wouldn't look so bad from the road. Actually looks pretty good from the road with some evergreens planted in front of it.Don't know if this helps butit was inexpensive and it works for me

cgland
02-20-2006, 04:17 PM
Do you have any pics of your creation?

Chris

TysonsTree
02-24-2006, 09:28 AM
Just a quick thought.. One of the landscape companies that buy our mulch setup storage bins using 'telephone poles'. -Gary

muddy00
02-28-2006, 03:10 PM
Just went through this about a month ago, Just keep calling local trucking co's and see what the will charge, I eneded up getting it for $125 a load About 11 blocks, and they had to go about 40 miles. each way plus and hour wait to load and unload.

bsmithalc
03-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Anybody ever use railroad ties for a wall or are they too weak?

Imulchmore
03-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Check out www.sunrisemulch.com you can see pictures of my mafia blocks there