PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Field Renovation

PurpHaze
12-22-2005, 09:40 AM
Things are a little slow in here so thought I'd post some pics of a high school varsity baseball field undergoing renovation. These pics show some of the prep work done to get the field ready for resodding.

MarcSmith
12-22-2005, 03:22 PM
isn't that nice to get a new field.....Like starting with a clean slate for the new year....

BSDeality
12-22-2005, 08:49 PM
what was the budget for that project?

PurpHaze
12-22-2005, 09:26 PM
what was the budget for that project?

Not sure but I'll try and find out on Tuesday when I go back to work. I do know that the booster club foot most of the material costs and our guys did the work.

PurpHaze
12-22-2005, 09:28 PM
isn't that nice to get a new field.....Like starting with a clean slate for the new year....

Yup. Funny thing was that this field was one of the best in the area. Just hadn't been redone in so many years guess it was time. Next year they're talking about redoing the outfield also. Has to start with a new irrigation system first though. The irrigation was never fit originally to the baseball diamond so there's some gaps.

out4now
12-23-2005, 12:36 AM
See if they will spring for a Maxicom system. Ours really needed it. I had areas that I needed only some water in whil eothers needed much more. All the tinking with differnt nozzles and stuff was too time consuming for the sprinkler tech so we did the best we could with the controler and rejetting heads one by one when we could but a good golf course type system with complete control is the best.

PurpHaze
12-23-2005, 12:46 PM
We looked into a central control system many years ago. Alas, with monies so short (public school district) it was never approved. We currently have 105controllers throughout our district and it takes a lot of time to turn on/off and/or adjust programs on all of them.

tiedeman
01-14-2006, 03:19 AM
where are some updated photos of the completed project?

hoskm01
01-14-2006, 12:04 PM
Yeah, finished and sodded pics please!

PurpHaze
01-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Sorry guys. Been tied up on another major project. I'll try and get some pics this weekend.

tiedeman
01-15-2006, 12:57 AM
look forward to seeing them...thanks

PurpHaze
01-30-2006, 09:42 PM
Finally got done with major irrigation project and the weather turned sunny enough for some decent pictures of the field. Still haven't found out what they had to pay for the sod but I'll find out and post.

MarcSmith
01-31-2006, 07:45 AM
Sweeeeettt

ProEagle
02-21-2006, 10:09 PM
What did you use for an infield product?
Very nice, I love the grass baselines - less maintenance.

ProEagle
02-21-2006, 10:14 PM
Here is some of my Sports Turf pix:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=129482&highlight=Sports+Turf

PurpHaze
02-22-2006, 09:11 AM
What did you use for an infield product?

I was told it's a perennial rye blend.

Very nice, I love the grass baselines - less maintenance.

Credit has to go to the grounds guys. They put in a lot of hard work. The grass baselines seem to be a trend in our area due to the lack of personnel to keep traditional fields up to snuff. The JV and Frosh baseball fields on our newest high school have all grass infields with just cutouts where the bases are for sliding for the same reason.

PurpHaze
02-22-2006, 09:12 AM
Here is some of my Sports Turf pix:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=129482&highlight=Sports+Turf

Nice pics. A lot of work involved but I'm sure the finished fields will be well worth it.

ProEagle
02-22-2006, 08:14 PM
What type of equipment do you use to mow and groom the field?
Also, what is the brand of clay is that? I like the color of it over the really really red stuff.

Thanks. We finished the field but was used 2 weeks after sodding for soccer and they destroyed the outfield. Not my choice but the Athletic Director. Maybe they will learn there lesson when they have to pay to resod and level the field or maybe they didn't with the practice field. They used it as a parking lot and now can not be used this year due to renovation. But this is what we get payed for, fixing it for them, so I guess we should just allow it to happen sometimes.

sheshovel
02-22-2006, 08:43 PM
All Purp has to do is make sure it gets water to stay green right Purp?

PurpHaze
02-22-2006, 10:39 PM
All Purp has to do is make sure it gets water to stay green right Purp?

Pretty much... Have a 6" main line leak in right-center field that we'll be digging up on Friday to repair. Should go fairly easy with the Bobcat backhoe.

PurpHaze
02-22-2006, 10:45 PM
What type of equipment do you use to mow and groom the field?

Infield is mowed by a reel mower, usually double pass. Outfield is mowed by a triple rotary Turf Blazer. Nothing special on the infield except screen drag, nail spike, etc.

Also, what is the brand of clay is that? I like the color of it over the really really red stuff.

I don't know the brand but it's actually a crushed volcanic cinder with a small amount of clay combination. Comes out of Red Bluff, CA I think and is only delivered by belly dump if I remember correctly. It plays hell on certain sprinkler models.