PDA

View Full Version : leaving trailer loaded for winter

stevesmowing
12-23-2005, 05:24 PM
does it hurt the suspension or tires to leave the trailer loaded with mowers for winter storage?

TURF DOCTOR
12-23-2005, 05:26 PM
What size trailer.

stevesmowing
12-23-2005, 05:42 PM
6.5x16 tandem axle 1 zero turn and 2 walk behinds about 2,300 pounds of stuff on it. Space for the winter will be tight and it would be easiest if I could leave all of it on.

Metro Lawn
12-23-2005, 05:47 PM
We load ours up with everything we can get in them. If you have concerns, jack up the corners and sit on blocks or jack stands to take weight off the suspension. This will also help with flat spots on bias ply tires.

BSDeality
12-23-2005, 07:28 PM
jack up the corners and sit on blocks or jack stands to take weight off the suspension. This will also help with flat spots on bias ply tires. Bingo! We lift our 17' boat trailer and support it. I leave my trailer on the ground (empty)

RedWingsDet
12-23-2005, 08:38 PM
I wouldnt do it. If someone steals it, they get all your equipment too, or if they even break in they can steal alot of handheld items.

mcwlandscaping
12-23-2005, 09:23 PM
If i had an enclosed trailer, thats what i would do with it as space is tight here for me. But i would jack it up though.

jim dailey
12-23-2005, 09:23 PM
does it hurt the suspension or tires to leave the trailer loaded with mowers for winter storage?

Not yet. I have 2 trailers. One is a 20' enclosed, the other is a 16' open. I load both of them to the hilt. The enclosed is locked for the winter and chained to a large oak tree. The open trailer is mounded-over with equipment and double tarped. That trailer is also chained to a large oak tree. I am in the NorthEast, and the winters are hard. All fluids are changed immediately at the start of spring. All engines are tuned-up and serviced then also. I have never had a single problem. Sta-Bil is added to all of the gas 2-3 weeks before storage. Never had any gas problems. All of my trailer tires are Radials. Never get flat spots in them. All of the trailer bearings are checked, serviced and greased at the beginning of the season. All of the suspensions are leaf springs. They are taxed all winter holding that weight, but get a couple of days break in the spring while I have everything off of the trailers while I am servicing them. When the trailers are empty for a couple of days in the Spring, a wire brush and some spray paint gets used generously.

POPO4995
12-24-2005, 01:19 PM
My 2005 83"x18' open trailer has my JD 737 and JD 425 on it and the 2006 83"x18' open trailer has the JD 997 and JD 2310 on it. Both trailers are in heated storage for the winter. All my other equipment is in my garage that I keep at 40 degrees. The garage is tight with all of that, the snowplow and spreader, and 2001 Ford Saleen Mustang....:cool: :cool: I have never had any problems and that is what I have done for 3 years.:waving: