PDA

View Full Version : I bought it... a DODGE

Jason Rose
12-23-2005, 09:45 PM
I don't know if it was the BEST decision but I think it was the lesser of all the evils out there! I came home with it without any regrets. So far... lol.

It's a 1998 Dodge 2500, Ext. cab with a 9' flatbed, V-10, 48,000 miles. $12,500

Thanks to all that have helped me along in my hunt for a truck. It's hard to shop for something good unless you have a good bit of knowledge about every vehicle out there. I sure don't, so It's nice to be able to ask some people who have been around.

I know this truck may have it's flaws, but it has 100 times less than my '88 ford has! It's going to be a long process to get a hoist under the flatbed. Much work will have to be done! My step dad is a sheet metal and fabrication guru and has all the necessary tools to do the job, unfortunately no good 'shop' to work in! My mom won't let him build one yet... lol.

I got home today and realized something... I'm quite undecided as to what 'brand' I'm loyal too! I now own a GMC, Ford, and a Dodge! And for a year I owned a Toyota Tundra... Man I am one confused guy!

Oh well, I know the gas mileage is gonna suck, but I'm used to that. If I had 25 grand to spend I would have steped up to a good diesel. Oh well, maybe next time...

RedWingsDet
12-23-2005, 10:30 PM
Thats awesome.... People are going to turn this into a chevy vs dodge vs ford thread prolly, like every other thread....

But anyway, that sounds like a badass truck, I like em all, as long as its one of the big 3, they're all the same to me.

Lets see some pic's of that bad boy!!! :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup:

lawnboy dan
12-23-2005, 10:44 PM
why did you sell your tundra?

Dirty Water
12-23-2005, 11:03 PM
Tundra's are the best light duty truck on the market.

If Toyota moved into the medium duty market the big 3 would seriously have to be aggressive.

South Florida Lawns
12-24-2005, 12:05 AM
I love flatbed Dodge trucks. Is it 4x4? Manual or auto?

When you get to it snap some pics we would love to see it.

Jason Rose
12-24-2005, 12:49 AM
Sold the Tundra mainly cause it was BLACK. No I'm not a racist... lol. I just hated the fact that it was always scratched up and dirty. Also it had a horribly light payload capicity! A few hundred pounds in the bed would make it sag in the rear, try to load a half ton or more in it and it was not pretty. Not really that much power for pulling anything more than itself around. I actually ended up buying it because I couldn't fit a fullsize chevy or gmc in my garage. The tundra would fit just fine. Now you tell me how they claim to be the "same size" as the big 3! I replaced it when I bought a different house (not really related, just happened at the same time) with a 2000 GMC sierra. I just saw it on the lot one day and traded for it, lol.

The Dodge is a automatic 4x4. It sits basically the same height as my Ford, yet it seems so much taller! I noticed I was looking completly over the top of a ford ranger this afternoon! Oh, it's a 7' x 9' flatbed. bout as large as u can get on a standard truck! I was also shocked about how much room there is in the cabin, I 'm 6'4" and I can not reach the window crank on the passenger side from the drivers seat. can barely reach the door lock!

I will take some pics tomorrow. I need before and after pics anyway... We are going to pull the flatbed off this weekend. Since the dumbass that put it on shoved it tight to the cab it needs to get off there to prevent any more damage than is already done to the back of the cab! I'm sure the pain is already rubbed off in places...

Sometime between now and march it will transform to a dump bed, I know it won't be easy, or cheap... But not too bad since I already have the hoist!

Gravel Rat
12-24-2005, 01:59 AM
The problem you will encounter with the Dodge is the frame really dips behind the cab so you will have to build the subframe so it can accept the hoist which I assume is a scissor hoist. You will want to build the hinge into the subframe too so the deck rides on a sturdy frame instead of just the trucks frame. You make the subframe from 3" channel.

A 9' deck is a little long for a dump on a regular P/U you may want to cut it down to 8'6' or 8'.

Jason Rose
12-24-2005, 01:11 PM
I took some pics but I was too lazy to move the truck out so there's the neghibors cruddy looking siding from their house in the pics. lol.

Sorry about some being so DARK. It's not even that dark outside though it is overcast. What's funny is that the pics I took with the camera positioned vertically came out fine... What a POS camera... :gunsfirin

RedWingsDet
12-24-2005, 01:13 PM
thats awesome.... does it dump?

Jason Rose
12-24-2005, 01:18 PM
Not yet... lol. That conversion project is going to start soon. My step-dad says he and I can do it, but I don't know. We don't have any good place to work where theres enough room to get around it and raise the bed high to work. I think we may end up just taking the bed off and prepping the frame, taking the bed off the Ford and removing the hoist and hydraulics and letting a truck bed fabricator take care of installing and putting it all together on the Dodge.

Jason Rose
12-24-2005, 01:26 PM
One pic of the Ford from a few years ago when I had it cleaned up all pretty before spring and one from last winter with the dump bed up.

Some day I will take pics of my trailer all loaded and hooked up! I told myself 100 times this summer to do that but never did take the time to do it:sleeping: Now everything is off the trailer and I'm not about to load it all just for a photo opp. haha

lawnmaniac883
12-24-2005, 03:57 PM
Congrats on the purchase! How does the V10 do power wise? Nice truck.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
12-24-2005, 04:00 PM
Congrats! good buy. It looks like you got a pretty good deal.

Edgewater
12-27-2005, 08:24 PM
The dodge looks good!

What are your plans for the ford?

Jason Rose
12-27-2005, 09:52 PM
Congrats on the purchase! How does the V10 do power wise? Nice truck.

So far I haven't been driving it much at all other than the day I bought it. It gets up and goes pretty good! Couldn't hook up to any trailer since there was no hitch and the bed was only tacked down :dizzy:

Pulled off the bed on Christmas morning. Of course it had rubbed the paint off on the back of the cab in places... I had to go back by the Dodge dealer here and order a spray can of touch-up paint to fix that.

It looks like making the flat bed that came on it into a dump isn't going to be a real problem at all. We robbed the hoist out from under the Ford this weekend and got it's bed stripped down and then bolted down so it's ready to SELL! Cleaned up all the crap that was welded under the new flatbed. Appears that this bed has been on at least 2 trucks in it's life... It's in great shape though, certianly better than the Ford bed.

Just finished slapping a coat of paint on the bed on the Ford today and stuck a For Sale sign in it on my back drive. In just a few hours time I caught 2 people looking at it! May have been more than that that I didn't catch. I want to sell it but I also am not going to be a liar and try to tell them that it's a perfect truck. I couldn't do that to anyone! I tell whoever is looking what's all been done and what may need to be repaired now. Seems like the right thing to do... It may not sell as fast that way but at least whoever does buy it will know a little more about what they are getting than if they bought it from a dealership.

JLL25
12-28-2005, 03:01 PM
Good luck with the new truck, but I have to warn you we have a 98 dodge 2500, its got the 360 and the motor is decent but the tranny has gone 3 times. I guess you cant judge all trucks by the performance of one though...this one has had to have several O2 sensors, and SEVERAL other probs under the hood.

lawn king
12-29-2005, 09:17 AM
We have owned & operated ford,chrysler & chevy! I don't want to start the war so all i will say is this, i wish kubota built trucks! :cool:

Randy J
12-29-2005, 08:44 PM
Congrats on the truck. I'm sure it will serve you well.