PDA

View Full Version : Rocker Arm Cover Blew Off

akerr
12-24-2005, 11:26 AM
I have a 2004 F350 diesel that had 14,000 miles on it and it completely died on me in October. I was pulling a B21 Kubota on my dump trailer and as I was accelerating onto the I-66 the truck died and I barely made it off the road onto the shoulder. I had to wait on the side on the road for five hours until a huge tow truck hauled me to the dealership. I called every tow company in the area and no one would tow my because I had the trailer with the back hoe on it. Finally the state police came and they have a contract with a big tow company that sent out a huge International tow truck and he towed the whole thing. It made me nervous to look in the side mirror and see my entire set up being pull at 65mph down the highway. The problem was the rocker arm cover and dealer explain to that there were two production of the power stroke in 2004 and I had the first production of the engine. They mistakingly put the rocker cover to the second engine produced onto my engine which did not line up and all the bolts were not in it. So when the high pressure oil pump reached maximum pressure something blew and the engine shut down. They fix it and everything was covered under warranty, but it was a huge inconvenience. I bought the truck from a large commercial fleet Ford dealer in Northern Virginia and it was a pain to get anyone on the phone. I try to get the district representatives name and number and Ford informed my that the district representative was unreachable at a consumer level. They said district representatives are there to help a dealer who has a problem that cannot be solved. Just wanted to share my story, the truck is running fine now. I don't think I will buy another truck from that dealership because of poor customer service.
Adam

kc2006
12-24-2005, 01:21 PM
Wow, thats interesting that they would let that slide (putting the new style cover on the old style head).

I'm still debating what to go with for my next truck. I would rather go with a chevy d-max but the dealer is so so. The one local big truck dealer also specializes in ford diesels, I've gone there at 11 at night to buy parts before, they're open till midnight 6 days a week. That is a big convience to me and might sway me to go with another ford diesel. Dealer support means alot to me with small or big equipment.

lawnmaniac883
12-24-2005, 04:00 PM
Buy a cummins next time...sorry bout the bad story, guess ford didnt feel like making a recall?

Dirty Water
12-24-2005, 06:36 PM
Buy a cummins next time...sorry bout the bad story, guess ford didnt feel like making a recall?

That way you can blow 6 covers instead of 2. :laugh:

lawnmaniac883
12-24-2005, 09:04 PM
lol.....nice one

Gilla Gorilla
12-24-2005, 10:20 PM
Akerr was this dealership located in Chantilly or Manassas? And I am sorry to hear about that especially when it is something that should not have happened in the first place.

akerr
12-25-2005, 09:02 AM
The Dealer was Ted Britt in Chantilly and that is where it was towed, but since they are a commercial fleet center all of their diesel techs were busy with other truck and they had to tow it to the Ted Britt in Fairfax off of Route 50. So that was a huge pain, because Chantilly actually pulled it into the shop and did the diagnostic and then said "oh we don't have the time to work on it" I had to pay the towing expenses out of pocket because because Ford Roadside only had one approved company in the area and they refused to come onto 66. When I went into the dealership I took the bill for towing and told them I wanted to be reimbursed. They said I had to mail it to the Ford's claims department in Dallas. Basically it was a huge hassel I could never get my "service advisor" one the phone to actually find out what was wrong with my truck. I tried to get a loaner truck and the best they could offer me was a Ford Ranger and I told them a Ranger would not pull my 14k dump trailer empty. If you buy a Ford truck and it breaks down you will not get a vehicle that is comparable in size. The dealer told me I could rent a truck from somewhere and submit the bill to Ford and they would review to see if it was valid. Well that is enough venting on Christmas morning
Merry Christmas
Adam

UNISCAPER
12-25-2005, 12:36 PM
From 2003 to 2004, ford has been sued 58 times by consumers who bought trucks with the 6.0 PSD. Ford internal affairs has had 12,000 consumer complaints according to their own warrantee data. According to this data, they have sold over 385,000 with potentially defective engines, and warrantee claims have cost to date have cost Ford 500 million dollars. The 6.0 PSD has been troublesome since the day it launched in fall of 2002. Since they use a new high pressure fuel injection pump, there have been 150 plus complaints to the NTSB, many never made it home from the dealership with either turbo of injection problems. My buddy has lost now 4 turbos on his.... There have been 77 service bulletains on that engine alone since 2002. By competition, there have been 8 on the duramax since 2000, and none on the Cummins in the dodges. After one year on the m,arket, Cornpicker redesigned the injectors changing over 500 parts. In 2003, Ford bought back 500 trucks to keep customers happy because of fuel issues.

Bandaid fixes are causing many Ford loyalists to change brands.

I'm glad you got home safe, but you really should not have had the problem at all.

akerr
12-25-2005, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the reply uniscaper I went on to The Diesel stop wedsite(i think that's what it's called) and read some of the horror stories with Ford and their diesel's. The thing I am worried about is that down the road when I need a bigger truck, I will almost be forced to buy a Ford because they seem to be the only company building a dump truck/chasis that still drives and feel like a one ton truck. My boss has a 550 and it doesn't feel any bigger than my 350, which is nice. GMC's 4500 and 5500 look like great trucks but seem to be a lot larger than the Fords. Maybe by the time I need a dump truck there will be some different options.
Thanks,
Adam

Jpocket
12-25-2005, 02:59 PM
From 2003 to 2004, ford has been sued 58 times by consumers who bought trucks with the 6.0 PSD. Ford internal affairs has had 12,000 consumer complaints according to their own warrantee data. According to this data, they have sold over 385,000 with potentially defective engines, and warrantee claims have cost to date have cost Ford 500 million dollars. The 6.0 PSD has been troublesome since the day it launched in fall of 2002. Since they use a new high pressure fuel injection pump, there have been 150 plus complaints to the NTSB, many never made it home from the dealership with either turbo of injection problems. My buddy has lost now 4 turbos on his.... There have been 77 service bulletains on that engine alone since 2002. By competition, there have been 8 on the duramax since 2000, and none on the Cummins in the dodges. After one year on the m,arket, Cornpicker redesigned the injectors changing over 500 parts. In 2003, Ford bought back 500 trucks to keep customers happy because of fuel issues.

Bandaid fixes are causing many Ford loyalists to change brands.

I'm glad you got home safe, but you really should not have had the problem at all.

He suould just by a chevy or Jimmy, Gas or diesel you can't go wrong.

UNISCAPER
12-25-2005, 03:18 PM
Akerr:

Yes, the 4500 is a whole lot stronger than any F-450 or 550. And, it is a whole lot bigger. but you know what? The 4500 will out turn the F-450, it will carry more weight, and, it will be around alot longer as well. There were a few very isolated frame issues where people drilled or welded the frames to mount fifth wheel style hitches, and if ytou wollow the directions, that frame is built like a semi tractor frame, and, you can't weld or drill one of those either.

This year, the Dmax gets the Nipondenso injectors and pump, and 50 more Hp is added. If you wait until 207 to buy any diesel truck, it is going to cost an estimated $11,000 more because the woe is me hug a tree whackos at the USEPA will require an items like an after burner added to the exhaust system.

The biggest question asked when I was ridding myself of our last Ford truck was "is it a 7.3, or 6.0 diesel?" No one wanted if it if it had the 6.0. The only thing wrong with it was the rubber band drive transmission. Anyhow, after we crossed ford trucks off our fleet, we have not had any down time other than scheduled maintenance, and a body repair when a steel pole at a gas station moved into the side door while the truck was driving....

I hope for Ford's sake, they get their act together, all it would do is pen a door for some rice burner company that does not belong here in the first place.