PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed trailer

The mayor
12-24-2005, 12:14 PM
I am thinking about buying a enclosed trailer. Mainly to free up some room in the garage. Is there anybody that wishes they stayed with a open trailer or has everybody been happy going to the enclosed. Besides filling up the equipment that would be the only downfall, besides weight.

RedWingsDet
12-24-2005, 12:20 PM
I bought a 20footer in May this year. Brand new 05 Haulmark, black. Its sweet. I love it and would never go to an open trailer. However, Im selling it and getting a dump trailer, im getting out of Lawncare and just doing landscape work, so theres no need for me to keep the enclosed. If interested shoot me a pm

Landscape25
12-24-2005, 12:28 PM
Premier,

I am not at the point of needing an enclosed trailer or any trailer, but do you think that it is impractical for landscaping. It would be good to protect the plants. I don't know if you could get a pallet of mulch in there though. I like to use bags. There is less chance of things flying off too. Of course pulling any trailer scares me. For soil/rock an open trailer would be better.

RedWingsDet
12-24-2005, 12:39 PM
Premier,

I am not at the point of needing an enclosed trailer or any trailer, but do you think that it is impractical for landscaping. It would be good to protect the plants. I don't know if you could get a pallet of mulch in there though. I like to use bags. There is less chance of things flying off too. Of course pulling any trailer scares me. For soil/rock an open trailer would be better.

No its not impratical, its nice for hardscapes because you can put your wetsaw in there, and secure it to the floor, plus you can put 3 or 4 wheel barrows in it, along with any plants you have purchased, and you wont have to worry about them getting beat up by the wind, espisally the trees. You can also fit a pallet or two of sod, but I would not reccommend mulch. Leave the mulch, rocks, etc. for the truck bed.

Why do you like bags? Its way more expensive, bulck is cheaper and eaiser imo.

and why would pulling a trailer scare you. I am only 17 and when I was 16, about a month after I had my lisence I was pulling trailers. Trust me, their easy to get used to, just make sure you have the RIGHT truck. Just about any truck can pull a HUGE trailer, but when it comes to stopping power and suspension, its all up to the truck.

Precision
12-24-2005, 12:44 PM
if you are going to be doing any clean up work, any removal of hedges, small trees or the like, you will want an open trailer or a dump trailer. Seing as most of us don't / can't afford to start out with 2 trailers, the open one is the most versital.

Up side to closed trailer, don't need to unload to store equipment
frees up storage space
less drag while towing
mobile billboard

Downside
can be hot as hades inside
If you don't remove equipment at the end of the day how do you maintain it
if someone steals your trailer they get all your equipment too
can't use it as a debris trailer
can't use it to carry over height or over length items
much more expensive to buy
can't see thru it while driving or backing up

Each has their place. I have an open trailer and like it alot but I can see the advantages of closed but I think I will go to a dedicated landscaper truck before I buy an enclosed trailer.

vanguard
12-24-2005, 01:04 PM
I bought a 20footer in May this year. Brand new 05 Haulmark

Hey Premier,

What model did you buy? Your discription said "luan walls" so you didn't get the landscapers Kodiak Model w/ plywood sides?? Any problems with popin holes in the cardboard sides?
I'm also looking around for next year and am curious on what the guys here think. :)

TURF DOCTOR
12-24-2005, 01:09 PM
Love our enclosed for cut and trim only and for thieves and weather.I would never go back to a flatbead for mowing only.

Landscape25
12-24-2005, 01:18 PM
I don't do any serious hardscape. Around here, the bulk is not much cheaper than the bagged. I pay consumer prices for bagged. You can only get a deal if you buy something like 10 pallets. For me the aggravation of bulk is not worth it. I did have a bag of mulch come off my truck- with the signs on. I don't think my truck could pull much of anything. It is a Dodge Ram 1500 v-6.
I do not offer lawn service and bag most of my debris. My logo is very colorful. It would look nice on an enclosed trailer.

TURF DOCTOR
12-24-2005, 01:26 PM
Enclosed with brakes is not that heavy 6x10 or 6x12 with a 6 footer you need to stay with 52 inch decks.

MowerMoney
12-24-2005, 01:45 PM
I really like having my enclosed trailer. When I'm on site, I just close the back ramp door and my equipment is out of sight from anyone. (Out of sight, out of mind) When I get home at night, I just lock her up and forget it. When I leave the trailer unhooked from the truck, I use a Gorilla Clamp on the hitch. Makes it very difficult for some thief to hook up easily to steal the trailer. In the winter, I pack most everything I have in it for storage. And a side benifit is that you never have to go searching for a place to relieve yourself when on a job site, just close the door and carry wide mouth bottles. :blush:

The biggest disadvantage, as has been mentioned, is that you can't use it to carry bulk materials such as mulch or soil. If I had more land at home for parking space, I would get a cheap open trailer for that purpose.

But having your equipment out of sight does not mean that it'll never get stolen. I have a nephew that contracts out as a maintenance/millwright. Two weeks ago when he got up in the morning, his truck, trailer and 20 years of equipment was gone. The trailer wasn't even hooked up to the truck when he last left it. Right out of his own driveway. Worst part was, that because of an accident he had years ago and high insurance rates, he didn't have theft on the truck or trailer.

rodfather
12-24-2005, 01:45 PM
We have both which is nice and each has its place in our business.

RedWingsDet
12-24-2005, 01:52 PM
Hey Premier,

What model did you buy? Your discription said "luan walls" so you didn't get the landscapers Kodiak Model w/ plywood sides?? Any problems with popin holes in the cardboard sides?
I'm also looking around for next year and am curious on what the guys here think. :)

Dont really know waht the model is. Its luan walls, but I dont see a problem with it, I dont need plywood, it seems like a waste of money. I have trimmer traps in it also. And no problem with poping holes. IMO the only thing that really matters when it comes to options you can get in a trailer is the heavy duty ramp door, side door, vents, ext toung, and ext height, which I have all those. all in all I love it.