PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a nice used boat

South Florida Lawns
12-24-2005, 02:22 PM
Need some good brands.

Don't want to spend more than $35,000

I live on the gulf here and will leave it at a slip.

RedWingsDet
12-24-2005, 02:42 PM
My step dad is sellin his. Its a 1979 Sea Ray Weekender. It has more deck space than cabin space because we entertain on it more than sleep in the cabin. Its 30feet. 2 motors. Its quick, it has a ton of new stuff and just spent over 6grand on getting new rutters or something like that. I think they want like 16 or so for it.

South Florida Lawns
12-24-2005, 02:53 PM
I hear they are hard to work on cuz the engine is a pain to get at.

Think I'm leaning away from all pleasure craft.

I wan't a Tug. With twin 3516 engines. that will break my budget lol.

HOMER
12-25-2005, 08:15 AM
Heres a deal for ya,

Shes 14'.......fiberglass.......trolling motor on her bow and 18hp Evinrude on her stern. Shes fitted with 2 awesomely comfortable Weldbilt seats and even comes with a depth finder. She has a galvanized trailer and good rubber.......even a spare tire. I'll even throw in a slightly used orange life vest for a mere.............ahhhhhhhhhh.......I hate to let her go for this but since it is Christmas...........$34,999.99:cry:

All sales are final and vessel is sold as is with no warranty!

K.Carothers
12-25-2005, 05:53 PM
Need some good brands.

Don't want to spend more than $35,000

I live on the gulf here and will leave it at a slip.

I owned a boat. The 2 best times with boats are when you buy it and when you sell it.

kc

POPO4995
12-25-2005, 06:00 PM
I owned a boat. The 2 best times with boats are when you buy it and when you sell it.

kc
I agree with that, LOL

RedWingsDet
12-25-2005, 06:06 PM
I agree with that, LOL

Me too, execpt mine was a jetski

ofishil
12-25-2005, 06:54 PM
if your gonna do some deepwater i really like those fountain boats. www.fountainpowerboats.com. Ive been in teh gulf in a sportfisher and those boats come flying by. They seem to cut through the water really well. I personally dont really care for sportfishers though. Grady White boats are nice too. Stoners are pretty nice as well. If your gonna go bay fishing we have a dealer over here they sell Majecs. Those are super nice. Bluewaveboats are nice too.

liquidforcedude7
12-25-2005, 10:22 PM

kc

Completely Disagree but it does kill when you go to fill it up with gas. We've got a chevy v-8 in my boat, sucks it down.

But what are you going to do with a tug boat? Pull stuff around? I could help you if we were talking ski boats but I dont think Im too much help here. www.boattraderonline.com
www.iboats.com
These are two good places to look though.

nmez21
12-25-2005, 10:24 PM
Hey, i've got a 12 foot flatbottom you can have. Can't beat the price!
And with a little "can't stop a leak ender 2000" you'll be living.

jim dailey
12-25-2005, 10:33 PM

kc

And all of the time in between, that boat is nothing but a hole in the water that you are just throwing money into.

South Florida Lawns
12-26-2005, 12:27 AM
Its gotta be diesel.

South Florida Lawns
12-26-2005, 12:29 AM
Buddy has a bass boat, does like 90mph.
I don't get the point cuz by the time we hit that speed for like a sec, we are at the other side of the lake and have scared off any fish in sight

PMLAWN
12-26-2005, 04:14 AM
Are you looking for a Trawler, or a open boat to fish from . What do you want to do.
Just as point of interest. My in-laws are in Naples and when their boat rotted and needed to be scraped they joined a boat timeshare thing. Guy has about 8 different boats from fishing to cruising. No limit on going out and during the week (they are retired) it is easy to get one.
I too am in the market for another boat. the one I got rid of was a 94 Chris Craft and I was not happy with that boat. Lots of hardware failure and seats all had to be redone.
Neighbor has a 32' Sea ray Sundowner and he gets good service from it. I think it is put together better than the Chris was. It is his second Sea Ray.
Other neighbor has a 28' Formula and it is his second. They are happy but I feel the seat cushions are too thin. Well built though.

Stay away from wood if you are buying used. Lots of time they use it in the transom and encapsulate it. Beware!

My next big trip (when the kids are in college) is the Circle trip around the East of the USA. My boat of choice for that trip in a 42' Grand Banks.

Buy a flat barge and put a Diesel in the back. I will supply a 38' motor home to put on it and you will be set:laugh: :laugh:
(mom says I can't buy any more toys till I sell that thing)

PMLAWN
12-26-2005, 04:16 AM
Buddy has a bass boat, does like 90mph.
I don't get the point cuz by the time we hit that speed for like a sec, we are at the other side of the lake and have scared off any fish in sight
Thats so you can troll for those fast swimming Bass

South Florida Lawns
12-26-2005, 08:34 PM
PMLAWN:

To be quite honest I want to be a little different. I'm currently looking at a mini tugboat, with a small caterpillar diesel engine. I just don't care for pleasure craft anymore. A buddy of mine is converting an old 35ft. diving boat to a barge, in which I could pull. After I saw his little tug with a 50hp Yanmar engine, and all the attention it gathered at the docks, I knew thats what I wanted.

BTW Cris Craft is right down the road from my place, they really have a nice looking facility.

geogunn
12-26-2005, 11:16 PM
Need some good brands.

dude--why if you posted the above do you then say:

To be quite honest I want to be a little different. I'm currently looking at a mini tugboat, with a small caterpillar diesel engine. I just don't care for pleasure craft anymore.

I love talking boats but you simply "trolled" with this post.

GEO

PMLAWN
12-27-2005, 02:10 AM
PMLAWN:

BTW Cris Craft is right down the road from my place, they really have a nice looking facility.
Todays Chris is a lot different from the 90's They went very upscale.
We only have one dealer around here that sells them and they don't sell many.
As far as tugs go I have little knowledge. Only ones we see around here are the dredge companies and dock builders. I know that there are a few companies that make modern glass versions of what your looking for.
You will enjoy the mileage from that set up. A friend has a sail boat with a little 4 cyl diesel and he goes all summer with very little fuel use. (and he runs a lot on the engine).
Good luck with the search.

K.Carothers
12-27-2005, 05:02 AM
[QUOTE=South Florida Lawns]Buddy has a bass boat, does like 90mph.
I don't get the point cuz by the time we hit that speed for like a sec, we are at the other side of the lake and have scared off any fish in sight[/QUOTEI

I am a bass fisherman and you can't go 90 mph.

K.Carothers
12-27-2005, 05:03 AM
Why do you need a boat when you have all those sweeties you posted?

geogunn
12-27-2005, 08:49 AM

90 mph in a bass boat? sure you can if you have the boat and know how to drive it. it is done here all the time.

GEO :confused:

PMLAWN
12-27-2005, 09:04 AM
[QUOTE=South Florida Lawns]Buddy has a bass boat, does like 90mph.
I don't get the point cuz by the time we hit that speed for like a sec, we are at the other side of the lake and have scared off any fish in sight[/QUOTEI

Maybe not 90 but most will do over 70 easy.
Wisdom there says that in competition you need to spend the least time motoring to another spot and the most time with you hook wet.
But that is a cold ride this time of year!

South Florida Lawns
12-27-2005, 05:02 PM
dude--why if you posted the above do you then say:

I love talking boats but you simply "trolled" with this post.

GEO

Thats easy, Because my friend talked me out of pleasure craft. And he is so right they are pretty lame. I want a mans boat that is commercial and can pull stuff.

The more plain with less frills the better.

So if you wanna talk tugs I'm all ear. I just don't wanna hear about some gay outboards if ya know what I mean.

CHRIS MELROSE
12-27-2005, 05:24 PM

kc

The old unoriginal "cliche"!

geogunn
12-27-2005, 11:38 PM
So if you wanna talk tugs I'm all ear. I just don't wanna hear about some gay outboards if ya know what I mean.

no. I don't know what you mean. why didn't you title the thread "only tug boat talkers need respond" or some such?

and I have outboards on both my boats...so you are saying I am a gay outboard owner, correct?

PMLAWN
12-28-2005, 04:17 AM
no. I don't know what you mean. why didn't you title the thread "only tug boat talkers need respond" or some such?

and I have outboards on both my boats...so you are saying I am a gay outboard owner, correct?

Hey sailor: ;) , I got an outboard too:p :p :p

paolaken
12-28-2005, 06:31 PM
my seadoo gos 70+ and the bass boats blow by me. love my boat and seadoo's

South Florida Lawns
12-28-2005, 10:10 PM

You are right I should have. I had a change of mind and scrapped the other types of personal watercraft.

Sorry this is a messed up thread. First I wanted a tug but my fiance said no then we looked at used party boats. At the end of the day I had it all figured out on what I wanted, we worked it out and she gets the master bath remodeled and I can buy my boat.

So this thread is done I guess.

geogunn
12-28-2005, 11:09 PM
You are right I should have. I had a change of mind and scrapped the other types of personal watercraft.

Sorry this is a messed up thread. First I wanted a tug but my fiance said no then we looked at used party boats. At the end of the day I had it all figured out on what I wanted, we worked it out and she gets the master bath remodeled and I can buy my boat.

So this thread is done I guess.

SFL--dude...there is no need to call this thread finito! and I personally think you guys would be too cool putting around in a tug type boat or in a new shower....

tell you what...how about posting a few pics of you guys...or...uhhh, her and her friends and I say let's keep this thread going strong!

GEO :waving: :p

K.Carothers
12-29-2005, 09:14 AM
[QUOTE=K.Carothers]

Maybe not 90 but most will do over 70 easy.
Wisdom there says that in competition you need to spend the least time motoring to another spot and the most time with you hook wet.
But that is a cold ride this time of year!

Very true. Doing 70+ miles hr on the water in a bass boat is a ball shrinking experience:eek:

kc

Rebs
12-29-2005, 07:00 PM
SFL...I think you need to show us some more pictures of the people (girls) that are going to be riding in this boat, so we can give you acurate information on what type of boat you need to get!!!

Honestly, good luck on finding the right boat. But, the pics would be nice too!!

Cya

K.Carothers
12-30-2005, 12:37 AM
90 mph in a bass boat? sure you can if you have the boat and know how to drive it. it is done here all the time.

I was making a blanket statement on 99% of bass boat owners.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoors/boating/1277136.html?page=4&c=y

kc

South Florida Lawns
12-30-2005, 11:06 PM
See you can do 90mhp, its almost pointless but whatelse can I say?

2 girls I partied with for my 21st b day, yes they are twins.

geogunn
12-31-2005, 12:14 AM
I was making a blanket statement on 99% of bass boat owners.

dude--what does 99% have to do with anything?

I'd say 99.999999% of the boats on the water wont do 100 mph.

I know a guy with a 12' jon boat with a 6 horse evinrude on it and it wont do 100 mph...so WTHeck has that got to do with boats that will do 100 mph?

here is the deal K.CAR...all of the fastest bass boats in the world are made right where I live, and forget ranger, stratos, bumblebee...they aint fast.

BULLIT is fast but the fastest of them all is ALLISON....... and it wasn't even discussed in that silly PM article....but I will quote them.....

but the heart of bass boat country remains in East Tennessee.

I will search the HD for some pics to post.

BTW...my boat tops at about 65 which gives me a clinch considering the "gators" that lie 1 inch under the surface.

GEO

ps-SFL...you devil with a digital camera...how 'bout some more PICS...uh... I mean discussion about the TWINS........lol!

South Florida Lawns
12-31-2005, 03:32 PM
OK guys this is the deal.

I found a boat that is only 15,000. Needs cosmetic work but other than that a very sturdy vessel.

Looks similar to this just not as tall. The hull looks more like a conventional hull as well.

geogunn
01-01-2006, 12:44 AM
OK guys this is the deal.

I found a boat that is only 15,000. Needs cosmetic work but other than that a very sturdy vessel.

Looks similar to this just not as tall. The hull looks more like a conventional hull as well.

it doesn't look like it'll do 100 mph........

GEO :waving: