PDA

View Full Version : I need info on manpower

Smitty58
12-25-2005, 05:28 PM
I have a big job coming up and I am going to need some short term help. I'm thinking about "Manpower Services" ,but I know nothing about them. Have you ever used a service like this? How much can I expect to pay for 2 laborers? Are things like workers comp covered?

eruuska
12-26-2005, 12:29 AM
In my former corporate life I was in charge of hiring at a small aircraft component maintenance company. I often used temporary agencies like Kelly when hiring a full-time employee. We would usually bring someone on as a temp-to-hire, which basically gave us 6 or 8 weeks to evaluate someone's value before we had to make a decision about them.

But in answer to your question -- the agency takes care of all the paperwork, including worker's compensation insurance. It's really a sweet deal. All you have to do is cut a check to the agency on a regular basis.

As far as the pay goes, you can dictate how much you want the dude to get paid. The temp agency then adds in workers comp, probably unemployment insurance and whatever else is required by the feds or the state government, then tacks on their markup. If this is truly a temporary job, then I'd think that you could offer a little less than you'd pay a permanent worker, and that will vary from locale to locale.

Give 'em a call, they'll help you out with all your questions.

walker-talker
12-26-2005, 12:35 AM
At my full-time job we use "Staffmark", which is just another temp agency. I was talking to the manager and he said I could expect to pay around $11.50 for help. That covered everything, including payroll services. All I had to do was to turn in the time sheets. You might get some good help, but they are far and few between. On our shift we have about 36 temps and have gone through about 300 since Jan. 1st of 2005.

eruuska
12-26-2005, 12:39 AM
We worked out a deal where we had the right to interview prior to hiring. Normally, they would just send out a warm body, but that didn't work for us, since the feds required a pre-employment drug test. If you can talk to your account rep, maybe you can do the same. Interview, that is.

We also used Staffmark, out of Merrillville, IN. Had pretty good luck with them.

Smitty58
12-26-2005, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the info. You guys don't exactly paint a pretty picture. We are going to be building a storage unit building and it can be done with 2 guys. There will be a lot of moving material from one place to another on the jobsite, so now I'm thinking a bobcat with fork attachment would work better. The actual building can be done with the 2 of us.

Greenbrier
12-26-2005, 12:01 PM
Not to burst your bubble, or hope, but we call it "Rent a Drunk" around here. Also, if you can afford to pay them 10hr, they will charge you about 15hr. Like they said, insutrance, w/c, payroll expenses bla bla, just go up to the local unemplyment agency and post a job listing and you will be much better off.

Coop