PDA

View Full Version : I Had A Dream!

qualitylawnmanagement
12-27-2005, 01:05 AM
When i was little 5yrs old, I always wanted to have a mowing an landscaping company. I use to sit there in a chain watching lco's come by and mowing with dixie choppers. I started mowing the guy next to me then another came along till I was like ten i had bout 3 accounts that I did each week. So in summer of 03 my dad bought me my first rider, I was so happy. It was a simplicity regent 16hp 44in deck this thing was a beast, It laid down some nice stripes so nice that when there was snow on the ground(1-2in) on the ground you still could see them. By summer 2003 i was up to 7 accounts and making easy money. Then in spring of 2004 my dad and I went and look at trailers ended up with a heavy built corn-pro trailer(6'6"by12') i bought it with my own money $1300 or $1400 i think. So we started doing more and more lawns up 20-25 accounts a week. Then we had this lady who asked us to mow her lawn 4 acres and hasn't been mowed once that year yet. my simplicity cut right threw it (1ft-2ft) tall grass:gunsfirin . Then the mower couldn't take it any more so when went and looked at some dixie choppers after a long days work, it was 4 o'clock and the dealer closes at a 5 so he showed us around and we demoed some and walked out a owner of a xwf2703-60in flat-lander. O man was this thing nice. the mower was a lemon but we stuck with d/c and our dealer stuck behind his product and fixed. We were in the 2 or 3 days a week for repairs, geting belts. Then we up to bout 30 or 35 accounts weekly. An home improvement investor came up to us and asked us to mow his property's he works at (15-25) accounts a week just off him and plus my 25 i already had, man i was making some money.payup. In the fall that year I payed off a $8000 mower. Then i bought a simplicity walk-behind for the new year. So in spring of 2005 the investor asked us to do it again for him this year and plus do his apartments(8) 3 or four acre property's. So on my 15th b-day i got a 1997 ford 250HD reg cab xlt 4x4( i had to pay for it though) and a brown bed edger which is the best edger out there i think. Then we had to buy a bagger for the mower. I went to my dixie chopper dealership and bought a trac-vac, he gave us a good discount paid cash for. Worked out good this year.Now i have a bunch of thing to add next year including: another dixie chopper with a tra-vac,lesco 36in walk, ez-dumper insert, ez-dumper landscape trailer, all Shindaiwa's trimmers blowers edgers hedge trimmer, sno-way vee plow with a sno-way spreader.
now i'm not dreaming any more it came to live
Thank you for reading my long beginning to becoming a LLC

Mike

zim bob the landscaper
12-27-2005, 11:10 AM
WOW that sounds awesome. how many accounts do u have now. do u do any landscaping?

mcwlandscaping
12-27-2005, 12:37 PM
Zim bob, read the bottom of his signiture to answer your first question,

Ok, what has been your best form of advertising to date, it seems like word of mouth has done you good so far but, do you do anything else to advertise, i really want to get alot more clients this year to really put my eXmark to good use. Thanks for the response!

qualitylawnmanagement
12-27-2005, 01:32 PM
WOW that sounds awesome. how many accounts do u have now. do u do any landscaping?

I'm up to about 35 weekly account's and then plus about 15 accounts I do bi-weekly for the investor. Yes I do some landscaping not as much as i would like to be doing I did about 5in 2005 have about 12lined up up for 2006 to do in the spring and and early summer.I think that should answer your question.

thanks mike

qualitylawnmanagement
12-27-2005, 01:40 PM
Zim bob, read the bottom of his signiture to answer your first question,

Ok, what has been your best form of advertising to date, it seems like word of mouth has done you good so far but, do you do anything else to advertise, i really want to get alot more clients this year to really put my eXmark to good use. Thanks for the response!

My best advertising would of been word of month, and also doing a nice job on that property. I'll will be putting an ad in the paper and int the phone phone this spring. My mom is also a Realtor and she got us some good jobs before, theres one that we get paid $200 a cut and where only the for an hour. Go to some of the reality place and pass out some business cards.

thanks mike

mcwlandscaping
12-27-2005, 02:13 PM
Hey, would you happen to have an AOL screen name, ide love to chat sometime about business to get ideas and such, im always looking to improve and expand, mine is mcwlandscaping you have a really good thing going for you there!

qualitylawnmanagement
12-27-2005, 03:22 PM
nope i don't have aol. Do you have msn?

mcwlandscaping
12-27-2005, 03:32 PM
nope i don't have aol. Do you have msn?
Darn, no i don't, i only have AOL IM and YAHOO IM, mabe ill try and get that one, do you have to be a MSN subscriber to get it??

mcwlandscaping
12-27-2005, 03:37 PM
Ok, i see you don't have to be an MSN subscriber to get their IM service, i got through the whole process and they said they were having difficulties with their server and to try again later, i will and when i do ill let you know, hope to ttys

zim bob the landscaper
12-27-2005, 06:26 PM
thanks for answering my quistion how many accounts do u wantby the end of next year

qualitylawnmanagement
12-27-2005, 07:15 PM
thanks for answering my question how many accounts do u wantby the end of next year

I'm hoping to be up to about 65 accounts and then about 35 or 40 full service accounts that I will do their spring and fall leaf clean ups, mowing, fert(sub out to my dads buddy) and snow removal for. Then like to have about 15 or so landscape jobs. If you have anymore questions please feel free to ask that how I got up to be where I'm at.

thanks mike

qualitylawnmanagement
12-27-2005, 07:18 PM
The 65 accounts that I would Like to have that is including the 35 or 40 full service acounts. Sorry bout that.

thanks mike

zim bob the landscaper
12-27-2005, 11:45 PM
ok thanks thats gonna be alot of work

thanks again john

mcwlandscaping
12-28-2005, 12:09 AM
Ok, i guess im on MSN, my nickname is mcwlandscaping on there, i don't know what to do on there, what is your nickname for that site?? Im still tryin to figure out how it all works, ill be logged onto that whenever im on my comp so hopefull we can talk sometime, hope to talk to you soon,

Mike W

qualitylawnmanagement
12-28-2005, 12:20 AM
ok thanks thats gonna be alot of work

thanks again john

Yea it will be alot of work but well worth it though. Even it i had 60 lawns thats 10 yards a day.

thanks mike

qualitylawnmanagement
12-28-2005, 12:24 AM
Ok, i guess im on MSN, my nickname is mcwlandscaping on there, i don't know what to do on there, what is your nickname for that site?? Im still tryin to figure out how it all works, ill be logged onto that whenever im on my comp so hopefull we can talk sometime, hope to talk to you soon,

Mike W

Ill add you when I get done posting this.

mcwlandscaping
12-28-2005, 12:33 AM
I have no idea what im doing on there, where do you go to add people, i have been in that "lobby" thing, but i have no idea about anything else, what am i suppose to do to add people to a buddy list of anything??

mcwlandscaping
12-28-2005, 12:41 AM
Or you could go here:

http://www.aim.com/get_aim/win/latest_win.adp and download AIM for free real quick, i think i have to be an MSN paying subsriber to talk to people becuase it doesn't let me add friends anywhere or anything. AIM is really quick and easy to download, you can just click that link and click the download now button on the top right of the screen, i really want to talk sometime, i hope we can figure something out soon!!

qualitylawnmanagement
12-28-2005, 12:53 AM
Yea i'm having trouble on msn. It won't let me in. I'll add aol so we can talk.

thanks mike

mcwlandscaping
12-28-2005, 12:55 AM
Awsome, im online now, my sn is mcwlandscaping

To add buddies, go to setup, the click buddy list setup, then click add buddy, and add me in, ill be on for awhile considering we are on vacation, tty soon!

qualitylawnmanagement
12-28-2005, 01:37 AM
I downloaded aol. Now I have to get an user name!

thanks mike

qualitylawnmanagement
12-28-2005, 01:39 AM
Everybody I will also be attending at appolo. I'm taking classes out thier for a degree in landscaping, and heavy equipment operater:gunsfirin .

mcwlandscaping
12-28-2005, 02:25 AM
What screen name did you register as? Did you get it downloaded?

qualitylawnmanagement
12-28-2005, 01:49 PM
mcwlandscaping I'm going to get my user name today.

thanks mike

qualitylawnmanagement
12-28-2005, 06:35 PM
Hey my aol name is lawncareinnovati.

thanks mike

Signature Landscaping1
01-02-2006, 10:17 AM
Is appllo like an agricultural schoo, i go to one right now majoring in landscape operations, and forestry, but how can you get a degree in heavy equip operator, if your not old enough to get your hydraulics licsese?

qualitylawnmanagement
01-08-2006, 05:58 PM
I'll be getting a degree this year in landscape then in 2009 Im taking out there for heavy equipment operated.

Signature Landscaping1
01-08-2006, 10:43 PM
how do you get a degree when your 15, 16, dont ypu have to be in college to get one?

qualitylawnmanagement
01-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Our high lets us go to a local collage it's like 5 mins away. It's like training for a a career for when you get out of high school, When you get done with high school then they hand you your degree in what ever field you went into.

Signature Landscaping1
01-09-2006, 05:02 PM
o i see. Lets see some pics of your setup of equip, plus my uncle just got a dixie, and hes going to get a trac vac for it, can you post a pic of your trac vac setup??
Thanks

qualitylawnmanagement
01-09-2006, 06:43 PM
I'll get a pic of it this week.

steinerman
01-15-2006, 09:15 PM
I don't know what school you attend but if they have an FFA program try to get into it. Enter the turf grass SAE. You have a nice set up going on. It sounds like you could win an award. Back in 98-99 it payed 500 bucks money you could use towards your business. It will also help you with public speaking which will help with customers.

qualitylawnmanagement
01-15-2006, 11:01 PM
Hey man I'm bout an half an hour away from you? I go to Shawnee High School.

Signature Landscaping1
01-16-2006, 03:23 PM
when you get a chance could you pm me those pics or post them. Thanks
Joe

qualitylawnmanagement
01-16-2006, 04:08 PM
What all pictures do you want to see of it?

Signature Landscaping1
01-16-2006, 04:31 PM
thanks for the pics

BCFLawnLandscape
01-16-2006, 05:40 PM
Hey man I'm bout an half an hour away from you? I go to Shawnee High School.

is that preble shawnee high school???

steinerman
01-18-2006, 08:12 PM
Hey thats cool. They have an ag program I went to west liberty salem. I won the ohio turf grass for FFA. Then I won star business of the year and then moved onto the national FFA. Then won the national turf grass. I was good for me. Won money and got to know alot of people thats in the turf grass business. It sounds like you would have a good chance. I was a junior and All I had was two steiner a walker ztr and bobcat skid loader one ton dump with plow and only mower 50 lawns. It sounds like your doind about that. You just need good records.

qualitylawnmanagement
01-18-2006, 09:37 PM
Hey thanks man. Good job with your awards! It's hard to get the older lco's on here to say nice things(some are but some are so are negative that I have read on here). If have to start some where don't you? Yea I'm hopeing to hit it big this year. I'm biding on a couple of jobs that do $20,000 in just lawn care a year, That doesn't include mulching and landscaping. I hope to order a new F350 in spring of 07 with few more maintenance items.

qualitylawnmanagement
01-18-2006, 09:38 PM
is that preble shawnee high school???

Shawnee Indians.

steinerman
01-19-2006, 09:11 PM
Just don't work your life away man. As you get old you have to work and now is the time is for you to have some fun too. I understand you wanted alot of jobs and I did too and still do. Right now its just you and you don't have to worry about workers and keeping them busy. I wish some days I could go back to the time when me and my dad where the only too and did all the work. but don't get me wrong I am glad where my business is today.also don't price your self to low. If your getting every job you bid up your price. We have to many other people trying to take money from us let not do it to ourself

qualitylawnmanagement
01-19-2006, 10:06 PM
Just don't work your life away man. As you get old you have to work and now is the time is for you to have some fun too. I understand you wanted alot of jobs and I did too and still do. Right now its just you and you don't have to worry about workers and keeping them busy. I wish some days I could go back to the time when me and my dad where the only too and did all the work. but don't get me wrong I am glad where my business is today.also don't price your self to low. If your getting every job you bid up your price. We have to many other people trying to take money from us let not do it to ourself

My dad always told me this anit no free ride, you got to work to get somewhere in your life. I'm working harder no so that way when I'm 40 or so I'll just sit back and watch and go out once an a while with the crew. My cousin is working full time with me this summer, so I have plenty of help when I take on these larger jobs. Yea I lost one snow-removal accounts by where I live, I went to go do a job and I saw this kid walking around around with a shovel. I was like he won't take my job. He did that day. I found out there were 4 people in a car with shovel going around and stealing jobs. So the next time it snowed my customer called me and said can you do my drive now it's getting alot of snow on it. I said yea but I ot to put you on the buttom of my list. She said why? I said cause you had someone else do your drive once. She said well his price was cheaper than yours. I said well I'll do your drive but it's on the bottom of list. She said ok thats fine.