PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever used this p/c programs???

Husky05
12-27-2005, 10:38 AM
Has anyone out there ever used this computer program called Total 3D Landscape? I got this for xmas and dont know if I should open it yet? It looks like it is made by a company called Individual and it is version 2005. Any feedback would be greatly appericated. Thanks!

Dreams To Designs
12-27-2005, 11:02 AM
It's a nice homeowner program. If you want to play around and maybe create a landscape for your home it will be adequate. It is not a professional "design" program, nor is it meant to be.

Kirk

Shuter
12-27-2005, 11:24 AM
I have used it for my home, but never for a commercial application.

Husky05
12-27-2005, 12:22 PM
What do you recommend for a more advanced professional program? And what would something like that cost?

Dreams To Designs
12-27-2005, 12:40 PM
What do you wish the program to do for you? Any drawing software that is CAD based will have a steep learning curve. The plan view drawings will be the most professional, other than hand drawn and if you wish to use 3D imaging that will add another dimension. The 3D imaging is at it's best as a presentation tool and not really as a design tool. None of the software out there will make you a designer. Pencil and paper will be your best design tools along with an extensive knowledge of plants and other landscape materials.

I use Drafix, ProLandscape as a plan tool and a 3D imaging presentation tool. All of my large plans are hand drawn and colored, because you can't get the feeling of a 24" x 36" piece of vellum on even a 20" computer screen. To get the feel for the whole design, you need to see it all. Along with the other tools I use Horticopia as a decision making and presentation tool for plants. I also consult an ever growing larger library of horticultural books, magazines and publications along with the Internet for information on plant and miscellaneous landscape materials.

What are you looking to do? Designs for installations? Presentations for client meetings? Plant information for landscape jobs?

Kirk

Markf
12-27-2005, 01:03 PM
Dreams to Design,
We are also in the same boat. At this point, I do not wish to spend $1300 on a piece of software since we are not yet full blown in landscape design. However, we have 4 or 5 clients that have mentioned for us to sit with them over the winter to mull ideas for the spring. A software presentation would be nice. Are there any cheaper software alternatives then Prolandscape?
Thanks.
Mark

Husky05
12-27-2005, 01:18 PM
I want to use it for designs of landscapes and something I can give/show clients

Dreams To Designs
12-27-2005, 02:06 PM
In my research, which was extensive, there really is no software between homeowner and professional. I chose ProLandscape because of it's relative ease of use, cost and support. If you do not do designs on vellum now, no software will help you. Most clients do not understand a landscape design & many installers struggle with the plan view, but it is necessary for correct installation. What plants go where is not as important as what type of plants, structures, hardscaping and other elements go where. The specific materials can be decided in time, but the placement of those elements is crucial.

Mark, my suggestion would be to seek out a local landscape designer and work with them. You will get many benefits from this type of relationship. Interview many designers if needed and find one or more that suit your company and your vision. It's not just the $1300 for the software, it's the many, many hours of learning it and more time to master it. Then you have to buy a printer that can handle large format, at least another $1000 and paper and ink to go along with it. If you are not planning on getting good money for your designs, this is a very expensive giveaway. A good design is very valuable to both your client and your company. Not only is it the blueprint for the landscape you are going to create, but it is the actual plan you need to follow to realize the vision, you and your designer have presented to your client. There is nothing easy about using "design" software. It is not a quick fix for your lack of ability or knowledge. You must look at the software as a digital pencil, in plan mode, and not much more. You do have the advantage of emailing your plan, printing on a large format printer, or a local print shop and probably the biggest advantage, being able to make changes easier than redrawing an entire plan. All the CAD based software is time consuming to learn and difficult to master. If design is not going to be your full time business, when in doubt, sub it out. A good designer will have years of education, experience and knowledge of horticulture, along with the ability to relate to and present all this to your client. A good designer will not create their design at your client's, but take your clients ideas, budget and site conditions and create a unique landscape that the client will love for a long time and you will be proud to have installed and hopefully maintain.

Husky, help me out. I need more specifics. Can you design now, or do you have someone that can design for you? The plan will confuse most homeowners, not impress them. The 3D imaging will give them a better idea of what you are trying to create for them, BUT, it is not a preview of what you will install, It is only a representation. If anyone tells you, the installation looks just like the imaging, they are smoking the lawn, not maintaining it. If you want professional presentations, ProLandscape will help you with that, it will not do it for you. It is just a tool, not a substitute for education and artistic talent. Some people have it, and many do not. Just take a look around at many of the landscape installed in your areas.

If you watch the show on HGTV you see the homeowners eyes glaze over when the designer is presenting the plan, but when they show the imaging. pictures of plants and samples of the materials they want to use, their eye light up and they client gets excited. The plan is your blueprint for installation, pricing and materials list. It will help you create flow and continuity in the landscape, but even with pretty colors is not exciting to look at.

If your business is landscape installations and you are good at it, stick to it. Bring in someone to create your designs for you and charge the client for that professional service. If you as the owner, wish to create, install and maintain your landscape, you will never be able to grow, because you can't do it all. putting a designer on staff can be an expense many landscaper cannot afford, and when you have that high dollar designer behind the wheel of a snowplow or out cutting grass because there is not enough design work to keep them busy, you will understand.

Kirk

Envy Lawn Service
12-31-2005, 11:13 PM
That is a Broderbund product. I have a couple of their programs I'm pretty happy with. I don't have the landscape design software though. However, one of the programs I have does allow for landscape design in 3-D. I've done some that look OK with it, which are extra cool because I can also do an exact replica of there home and property along with it. However, the down side of it is that my program does not have any property elevation design... or none I have figured out how to use anyways. So everything is on a flat pool table 3-D format.

leadarrows
01-01-2006, 12:42 AM
That is a Broderbund product. I have a couple of their programs I'm pretty happy with. I don't have the landscape design software though. However, one of the programs I have does allow for landscape design in 3-D. I've done some that look OK with it, which are extra cool because I can also do an exact replica of there home and property along with it. However, the down side of it is that my program does not have any property elevation design... or none I have figured out how to use anyways. So everything is on a flat pool table 3-D format.
I don't think this is right. I did a search and it's not Broderbund. I have some programs by them as well and I like them but this is a company I never heard of.Individual Software Inc.http://www.individualsoftware.com/new/consumer/details/tl8.htm

Looks interesting I think I will check it out. I have 3 different programs now but I'm not satisfied with any of them yet. Although more practise might help.

Envy Lawn Service
01-01-2006, 01:06 AM
I don't think this is right. I did a search and it's not Broderbund. I have some programs by them as well and I like them but this is a company I never heard of.Individual Software Inc.http://www.individualsoftware.com/new/consumer/details/tl8.htm

Looks interesting I think I will check it out. I have 3 different programs now but I'm not satisfied with any of them yet. Although more practise might help.

Hummm... checked that link and nope, that ain't a Broderbund product.
The "Total 3D" part and logo are the same though.
I guess that's some sort of 3D software engine?

Funny I just came across this thread by accident today though.
I used my stuff for the first time in a long while earlier today...

I dug through some of my many old design layouts of all types that came from the period where I felt my creativity was all used up (much like a washed up artist) and realized even those were great creations. I'm good at designs and architecture..... only God knows why I cut grass (?)

TurfdudeNCSU
01-01-2006, 10:55 AM
I went through the design problem last year. I got tired of have to start over on hand drawn designs every time I messed up or I wanted to change something. I research it pretty hard and found a pretty good CAD based program. It was about $2500.00 then I needed a printer that was another 2200.00. It has paid for it self in time and jobs!!

sheshovel
01-04-2006, 01:34 AM
An eraser is so much cheaper!LOL
I take pics of the areas to be landscaped,then draw a design right on the pic using my paint or paint shop pro ,then I do my paper plans to work off of with Canvas.Works fine
My cust like to see the real thing and what it will look like though not exactly .Can be e-mailed right to the cust along with estimate,but I like to hand present my plan and sit down and go over it.The 1st thing you have to do is find out what kind of lifestyle the cust lives,future plans,their ideas and what they want 1st