PDA

View Full Version : whatever they can to get out of a clean-up charge

lawn_pro
12-27-2005, 03:16 PM
I was relaxing this afternoon, cleaning up some equipment and just doing nothing really when the phone rings, "can you come over this afternoon and clean up my leaves again?", sure why-not. We had already done (1) full clean-up late fall for this customer, so I knew it wouldn't be real bad. The clean-up took about an hour, the customer comes out and gives me a check for a regular mowing price and a $5 dollar bill for a christmas gift, I politely handed back the check and five bucks and told him he owed me a clean-up price. He said I had alot of nerve considering he was giving me 5 extra bucks.......it never ends, customers will use everything in the book to get out of the extra charge for clean-ups....after repeating myself over and over, he finally gave me another check and kept his five bucks....Would any else have done the same thing? or was this rude of me?

Landscape25
12-27-2005, 03:27 PM
What is the difference in mowing/ clean-up charge? It might be a good idea to give him/her a price in advance next time to avoid an uncomfortable situation. Also giving them a bill might help.
I don't know what I would have done, if it was close enough I might just let it go and tell them in advance next time. That is a tough situation.

lpwhandyman
12-27-2005, 03:48 PM
I would have done the same thing. You gave him prompt service and then they want to dictate their prices.....yeah right. Better yet, let them do it themselves and you pay them $ 5 to watch.

lawn_pro
12-27-2005, 04:51 PM
What is the difference in mowing/ clean-up charge? It might be a good idea to give him/her a price in advance next time to avoid an uncomfortable situation. Also giving them a bill might help.
I don't know what I would have done, if it was close enough I might just let it go and tell them in advance next time. That is a tough situation.

the customer was well aware of the different charges...

googles
12-27-2005, 05:19 PM
I have a bunch of client the perfer having it done in the beginning of cleanup time and then at the end. for example if i charge them 300 for the first cleanup the second cleanup at the same house would be maybe 100 since its a lot easier. but i would not take a mowing price. it is not worth my time, gas, and my time off to go out for one house. sh*$ i bet you lost money with the truck, dump, gas and bags and your time. dont feel bad you where right for requesting more. i would have let them know before i did it though becuase you never know if they will pull something like that.

tiedeman
12-27-2005, 06:01 PM
what was the difference in the price?

mtdman
12-27-2005, 06:06 PM
I think you did the right thing, and no it was not rude.

tiedeman
12-27-2005, 06:22 PM
I look at it this way, was there only a $15-$20 difference in price. If so, I would have took the money that he gave you up front, but make sure to tell him, what the price should have been just for he knows for future times. If the price was more than $25, then I would have done the same thing that you did

Branchland
12-27-2005, 06:38 PM
How much longer did it take? How much more did you charge than normal?

Landscape25
12-27-2005, 08:10 PM
Maybe he was trying to pull one over on you then. I don't think you could charge as much as the first time though, if the first time was a much bigger job. It sounds like he was bribing you a little with the five dollars to take the lesser amount.

QualityLawnCare4u
12-27-2005, 08:31 PM
I still dont get it with the cleanup thing on here or maybe your area is different from mine. Did a yard this past friday and it took me 25 minutes less to do the cleanup than it usually does to mow, weedeat and edge during the summer. I blowed leaves away from the house, out of beds, off of porch and out of chain link fence, then went over them twice with the mulcher till they were gone. Zero weedeating or edging and my charge was the same as it usually is, 50 bucks for this yard. Went to second yard and it took my 10 minutes less on this one to do the leaf cleanup, once again, same charge as usual. If I could get more I would dang sure do it. And it sure is nice to be outside when its in the 30,s instead of that 100 high humidity we have here. Felt like I had actually made a decent amount for the time it took.

K.Carothers
12-27-2005, 09:09 PM
I still dont get it with the cleanup thing on here or maybe your area is different from mine. Did a yard this past friday and it took me 25 minutes less to do the cleanup than it usually does to mow, weedeat and edge during the summer. I blowed leaves away from the house, out of beds, off of porch and out of chain link fence, then went over them twice with the mulcher till they were gone. Zero weedeating or edging and my charge was the same as it usually is, 50 bucks for this yard. Went to second yard and it took my 10 minutes less on this one to do the leaf cleanup, once again, same charge as usual. If I could get more I would dang sure do it. And it sure is nice to be outside when its in the 30,s instead of that 100 high humidity we have here. Felt like I had actually made a decent amount for the time it took.

Northern clean ups are completely different than southern clean ups. If we can do a clean up in less time that it takes to mow, then its not a cleanup.

kc

True Cut Lawn Maintenance
12-27-2005, 09:10 PM
up north the leaves all fall at once and when they come they come heavy, if you dont get them off the lawn it will in some cases kill the grass

QualityLawnCare4u
12-27-2005, 09:23 PM
Thats what I figured, but since Ive never been up north do not know what you folks have to deal with. The worst thing we have is pine straw.

True Cut Lawn Maintenance
12-27-2005, 09:33 PM
id think pine straw would be a PITA to clean up, there isnt anything other than a good leaf rake that i know of to get it up, even then its a royal pain in the butt.

jim dailey
12-27-2005, 10:22 PM

It is a lot different, the further North that you go, the more leaves and the bigger the job. The LCO's up here invest a lot of time and equipment into this phase of the season. There are a lot of leaves, and BIG leaves. There is a lot of money to be made. You have a complete change of seasons and weather. You have to hustle and beat the weather, before winter really sets in for the season. The lawns and neighborhoods are set tight together. It is a "keeping-up with the Jones's factors". Everyone has to have the best, the most expensive, the prettiest, the cleanest, has to be the first one. Get the idea? It is like a "feeding frenzy". They are nestled on 1/4 to 1 acre lots and they want them scrubbed clean. They are too busy working to pay for all that they have, and therefore are out of time to do it themselves. They must pay to have it done. Who really cares. "Hook-em". Generally the husband is the one that has the "real job" and is left with little time to do any yard work. The Mrs. is left in charge of the yard and the checkbook. All she wants to do is play with her flats of flowers and go shopping. You are now in charge of the lawn. "Just take care of it and send me the bill". "Can you handle the job"? They don't even ask "How much". You take on the job, figure your bill out and mail it You are paid immediately. I have NEVER been stiffed. Some of the spouses I have never met, even after 7, 8, 10 years. They like you, and you are all set. Year after year. Do your yearly price increases and they never bat an eye. Danny, you are definitely in the wrong area. I am getting out after next season. Come on up and it is yours. Equipment, customers and even my house. I have to get 450K for the 3 bedroom house with 1 3/4 acres, with all outbuildings. It is all used equipment, but in good shape. I will give you the customers, all 75 of them. They total close to 100K per year. I gave up the snowplowing several years ago, and went South for the winters. House, equipment and custmers for 550K. And more people will beat your doors down. Get 3-4 guys to work for you and just stay home and give orders and count money. If that is too much to handle...come down to Daytona Beach. I am going to start again down here. I will put you on as my first crew leader. I plan on cutting ALL of the green grass on the East Coast before I die....

lawn_pro
12-27-2005, 10:50 PM
How much longer did it take? How much more did you charge than normal?

I didn't really time myself, but I would guess-1 -1.5 hours...only takes about 10 min to mow with a couple of guys-usually, keep in mind that I was by myself and not planning on working....21" ONLY backyard...a windmill to mow around, a clothesline, awkward patio, two large spanning trees with low branches....the lawn had a decent amount of leaves but the bushes and window wells did not need anything at all. Same thing every-year(5 yrs) with this guy....always trying to get out of the clean-up charge and yes he knows the prices and what we charge for clean-ups. Just thought I would share because this is the first time I have had the 5 dollar trick pulled on me.

googles
12-28-2005, 02:54 AM
yea Lawn Pro, you did right, it seems like he was trying to pull use the $5 to play you. sometimes i think you have to train them lol

Branchland
12-28-2005, 06:16 AM
I didn't really time myself, but I would guess-1 -1.5 hours...only takes about 10 min to mow with a couple of guys-usually, keep in mind that I was by myself and not planning on working....21" ONLY backyard...a windmill to mow around, a clothesline, awkward patio, two large spanning trees with low branches....the lawn had a decent amount of leaves but the bushes and window wells did not need anything at all. Same thing every-year(5 yrs) with this guy....always trying to get out of the clean-up charge and yes he knows the prices and what we charge for clean-ups. Just thought I would share because this is the first time I have had the 5 dollar trick pulled on me.

Taking that much longer plus you say it happens every year, then yes you did right and he should have expected it.

irishgoldcleanups
12-28-2005, 07:18 AM
I was relaxing this afternoon, cleaning up some equipment and just doing nothing really when the phone rings, "can you come over this afternoon and clean up my leaves again?", sure why-not. We had already done (1) full clean-up late fall for this customer, so I knew it wouldn't be real bad. The clean-up took about an hour, the customer comes out and gives me a check for a regular mowing price and a $5 dollar bill for a christmas gift, I politely handed back the check and five bucks and told him he owed me a clean-up price. He said I had alot of nerve considering he was giving me 5 extra bucks.......it never ends, customers will use everything in the book to get out of the extra charge for clean-ups....after repeating myself over and over, he finally gave me another check and kept his five bucks....Would any else have done the same thing? or was this rude of me?

i charge $300 per 1/4 acre no if and or buts . you win some you lose some that is my theory. for every one i lose i gain three

irishgoldcleanups
12-28-2005, 07:24 AM

right up front i charge a $25 dump fee
$25 fuel fee

if it is last minute thing before a holiday and i have to finagle my schedule. then it is an extra $100 for the inconvience of have to create a tighter schedule for my self. so thats $300 per 1/4 acre including service fees

irishgoldcleanups
12-28-2005, 07:30 AM

a 1/4 acre takes me about three hours most here have five to ten good size oaks & maples

QualityLawnCare4u
12-28-2005, 08:47 AM
It is a lot different, the further North that you go, the more leaves and the bigger the job. The LCO's up here invest a lot of time and equipment into this phase of the season. There are a lot of leaves, and BIG leaves. There is a lot of money to be made. You have a complete change of seasons and weather. You have to hustle and beat the weather, before winter really sets in for the season. The lawns and neighborhoods are set tight together. It is a "keeping-up with the Jones's factors". Everyone has to have the best, the most expensive, the prettiest, the cleanest, has to be the first one. Get the idea? It is like a "feeding frenzy". They are nestled on 1/4 to 1 acre lots and they want them scrubbed clean. They are too busy working to pay for all that they have, and therefore are out of time to do it themselves. They must pay to have it done. Who really cares. "Hook-em". Generally the husband is the one that has the "real job" and is left with little time to do any yard work. The Mrs. is left in charge of the yard and the checkbook. All she wants to do is play with her flats of flowers and go shopping. You are now in charge of the lawn. "Just take care of it and send me the bill". "Can you handle the job"? They don't even ask "How much". You take on the job, figure your bill out and mail it You are paid immediately. I have NEVER been stiffed. Some of the spouses I have never met, even after 7, 8, 10 years. They like you, and you are all set. Year after year. Do your yearly price increases and they never bat an eye. Danny, you are definitely in the wrong area. I am getting out after next season. Come on up and it is yours. Equipment, customers and even my house. I have to get 450K for the 3 bedroom house with 1 3/4 acres, with all outbuildings. It is all used equipment, but in good shape. I will give you the customers, all 75 of them. They total close to 100K per year. I gave up the snowplowing several years ago, and went South for the winters. House, equipment and custmers for 550K. And more people will beat your doors down. Get 3-4 guys to work for you and just stay home and give orders and count money. If that is too much to handle...come down to Daytona Beach. I am going to start again down here. I will put you on as my first crew leader. I plan on cutting ALL of the green grass on the East Coast before I die....

Dang Jim, thats nice and tempting!

Tyner Lawn Service
12-28-2005, 09:02 AM
I didn't really time myself, but I would guess-1 -1.5 hours...only takes about 10 min to mow with a couple of guys-usually, keep in mind that I was by myself and not planning on working....21" ONLY backyard...a windmill to mow around, a clothesline, awkward patio, two large spanning trees with low branches....the lawn had a decent amount of leaves but the bushes and window wells did not need anything at all. Same thing every-year(5 yrs) with this guy....always trying to get out of the clean-up charge and yes he knows the prices and what we charge for clean-ups. Just thought I would share because this is the first time I have had the 5 dollar trick pulled on me. Hey I have one of those in Omaha if you want it.LOL!! I've found certain customers almost need it in writing on cleanups or touch up cleanups. Each customer is different.

daveintoledo
12-28-2005, 09:44 AM
he did sign a contract right??????