PDA

View Full Version : ((((((((((((((((((Should I drop them????????)))))))))))))))

Gatewayuser
12-27-2005, 08:27 PM
Well I'm thinking of dropping a customer. I called them today and asked if I could come and pickup my check for the leaf cleanup and bring the invoice for plowing sometime today, and the wife of the customer said how much is it and I said $1,046.36 for the cleanup and $70 for plowing and she said she would have the check ready. So I went and picked it up and she said sorry that we didn't mail it ( by the way the invoice was made out 30days ago ) and I said thats ok and not to worry about it. I thought well every thing was fine, but I got a call from the husband tonight and he said sorry it took so long for us to pay you and I said it was ok. Then he said when I saw that bill when it came I fell out of my chair it was so high, the people last year only charged $450 and they had 5 guys and you only had 2 (it was 4 acres of leaves), you will have to figure how to make it less next year or we will have to find someone else. I said were the leaves frozen together and wet when they did it and he said it was the same kind of conditions. So I said ok I will try to figure out something better next year. Then he started on my snow plowing, the guy who lived across the street charged us only $50 last year and he used a skid loader, and I said is that the same guy who tore your yard up and I had to fix it for you ( $1,100 which they complained about ) well yea, did I tear up your yard when I plowed, well no. I said I will not go any lower on that price because I have plenty of people that want plowing done. He said ok go ahead and keep plowing. He then said we would like a stone patio put in in the spring could you come over sometime and give us a price and I said sure.
This is the only customer that ever complains, everyone else thinks I do a great job. A person had to come and do the excavating on some piping for them and they tried to get him to cut his prices in 1/2 also. Should I keep these people or drop them? I will lose about $7,000 - 10,000 per year.

nephilim0167
12-27-2005, 09:18 PM
Maybe I missed it, but are they usually on time with their bills or is it a reoccuring problem? If this was the first time or second time I'd say keep them. Maybe theres a communication part on your end that's not working for you. Make it clear to them that you charge X amount for each hour of work, or however it is that you bill.

DLS1
12-27-2005, 09:24 PM
I didn't read your post but I am responding to your title. A simple title without all the hyperbole symbols is better. :nono:

Gatewayuser
12-27-2005, 09:30 PM
They always wait to send it until it is 30 days after invoicing when I call them. They know and agreed on $40 per man hour and they knew when I was working and they could of stopped me at anytime. I bet this company that did it last year was just a group of kids charging $10 per hour. By the way the wife seemed to not have a problem with the bill and she makes most of the money.

Gatewayuser
12-27-2005, 09:32 PM
DLS1
It got your attention didnt it. But your right, I will stop.:waving:

nephilim0167
12-27-2005, 09:37 PM
Then in that case unless you are at complete whits end with them I would keep them. It seems as though they like your work if they are asking about doing a patio for them! The man probbaly has nothing better to do than complain. I find myself like that sometimes too :sleeping: We all know women run the ship. If she's fine I would stick with it. Instead of waiting 30 days to call her, why not do it in 7 or 10? She could just be forgetful since she didn't seem to have a problem getting you the check once you remind her.

Jason Rose
12-27-2005, 09:40 PM
DLS1

((((((((((((((((((((THANK YOU!!)))))))))))))))))))))) :dizzy:

Gatewayuser
12-27-2005, 09:49 PM
Jason Rose
((((((( LOL )))))))

I'm afraid if I go and put a $4,000 patio in they will complain and I will be out a whole lot of money. If my prices and work were crummy then I could see them complaining but there not. I just like less stress then having to worry about 1 trouble maker. They tried not paying me once because there was a little root smaller then a pencil sticking out of part of the yard that I redid and I gave in on that one and took $160 off there bill for that part of the yard and they were happy.

nephilim0167
12-27-2005, 09:54 PM
You're way too worried about this. If they are this big of an issue for you then drop them. Just remember, no one ever said it was gonna be easy! ;)

grasswhacker
12-27-2005, 09:59 PM
Jason Rose
((((((( LOL )))))))

I'm afraid if I go and put a $4,000 patio in they will complain and I will be out a whole lot of money. If my prices and work were crummy then I could see them complaining but there not. I just like less stress then having to worry about 1 trouble maker. They tried not paying me once because there was a little root smaller then a pencil sticking out of part of the yard that I redid and I gave in on that one and took $160 off there bill for that part of the yard and they were happy.

I'd be cautious and get a large deposit on that 4k job with a signed agreement.

DLS1
12-27-2005, 10:26 PM
DLS1

Sure did but for the wrong reason. :)

GlennZ
12-29-2005, 09:02 AM
Well it all comes down to $ per hour. How much time are you spending on them and how much are you making. I signed up a problem customer that I knew was a problem the first time I met her. I charged her more but she went for it. But to my amazement she was even a bigger problem then I could have thought. We ended up dropping her. She was really mad because we fired her. She disputed her credit card payment. I had all the documentation. She lost.

The other thing I am assuming is that you have all the terms and prices spelled out in a written contract. This can prevent some issues.

GraZZmaZter
12-30-2005, 01:36 PM
yeppers ... anything other than maintenance ... i require at least half down, and everythings on paper....

eruuska
12-30-2005, 09:05 PM
Jason Rose
((((((( LOL )))))))

I'm afraid if I go and put a $4,000 patio in they will complain and I will be out a whole lot of money.

Make sure you get a deposit that covers ALL the materials you'll use. Have them sign an agreement that says the deposit is nonrefundable. Make sure the price of the patio is in the agreement. NEVER wait until a job is done to tell someone how much a job will cost.

cwlawley
12-31-2005, 02:13 PM
You want to drop a 7K customer because they complain? I'd say as long as they pay within 30 days and you need the work, keep them. Everyone complains.