PDA

View Full Version : Fall Cleanups to Resume Thursday

The Cowboy
12-27-2005, 10:08 PM
We experienced snowstorms that put an end to Fall cleanup work in November. I am checking to see if anyone is going to go out and finish now that the snow has melted. I am taking this as an opportunity to keep a few more customers happy and make a chunk of cash besides. Anyone else?
I live in Northern Illinois, I am sure the snow is lingering in some areas, but up here it will be gone in about 24 hours.

IMoLwnz.com
12-28-2005, 02:02 AM
I had 2 calls this week so I plan on going out next week.

I have family in town this week and my wife is off so we are doing family things and then its back to work next week. that will be VERY different to be doing leaves and cleanup in JANUARY!!!! Seems very odd to me.... Im glad for the snow that we had in December I hope more is on the way in Mid Jan

mtdman
12-28-2005, 03:56 AM
Our snow should be gone in a few days, and I've been contemplating going out and finishing up some work as well. Depends on how the weather goes. I've got nothing else better to do.

GarPA
12-28-2005, 05:40 AM
yes we have about a weeks worth of work that didnt get done b4 the white stuff came. I haven't winterized the equipment for this reason except for putting fuel stabilizer in all the gas tanks and filling them full.

lawn king
12-28-2005, 07:26 AM
We got slammed with heavy snow 12 9 05. Yesterday we were able to restart dormant fertilizations (winterization). We should finish this weekend. Hopefully snow will return in a big way the 1st of the new year.

MacPhersonlawn
12-28-2005, 04:42 PM
Here in Western Mass it snowed just before Thanksgiving and it's still on the ground. Don't expect to see the leaves I didn't pick up until March or April.

VnDrWLawnCare
12-28-2005, 09:53 PM
We also had snow com Dec. 1 and it has finally melted off, but raining now. The ground is saturated, but i think i will try and finish mine this week as well. I just dont feel like i am finished until they are all done. I actually cleaned gutters last friday, so part of the jobs are done. Well just have to see how it goes. It will be muddy i know that.

Eric

The Cowboy
12-29-2005, 08:07 PM
Today went great, it was dry enough for my double blade Gravely 252 to suck up damp leaves into the bagger.Mulching them is out of the question now. Yes, the bags weighed 4 times as much as normal, but filled better than with dry leaves. There was a bit of snow on the ground, but the blowers took care of it. i was able to clean up 2 small estates, and have one 88000 sq ft place to do tomorrow. i am booked for at least 6 more solid days. The cash will be nice, especially since after Christmas. high temp up here was about 40.

VnDrWLawnCare
12-30-2005, 03:55 AM
Today went well as well. Did not get started until around noon, but got a couple of small ones done, and a large one. Glad i got the big one out of the way, so it should be smooth sailing from here, or so i wish. Hopefully the weather is good for friday so i can get alot more finished.

Eric

mkjsunscapes
12-30-2005, 07:42 AM
Out to start first cleanup today. It's a bit tough getting up this early. The last few weeks we've been sleeping till almost 9am. How soon is that snow coming back?

chriscampbell
12-30-2005, 11:48 AM
I live in Illinois as well. I have started doing some brick jobs scheduled for 06. If it continues to stay mild, I will start doing leaves/clean-ups as well. I check a website for snowmobiling conditions and this is what they have posted for long term conditions.

"Pack up the boots, helmets, and sleds boys, the winter is over. While we
enjoyed two weeks of plentiful snowfall througout the state, this winter has
turned out to be a short one.

Weather experts say that a late El Nino push will push temperatures above
freezing for the majority of the remaining season. As can be seen by the
weekly forecast: temps to remain mild for as long as the forecaster's eye
can see. I slight warn up is expected by early next week, pushing temps even
higher.

The same may be said for January; it appears there may only be a few day
where temps stay below freezing through the length of the day. Febuary
...that's another story entirely. It looks as though Febuary will not see
temps below 32 F at all.

Pack it up boys, season's over."

I bought three new plows for this winter, but it becomes mild (ie 40 degrees or better, we are going to start working fulltime. If i had an extra month to work that would increase my profits big time. I condsider winter unwanted vacation.

The Cowboy
12-30-2005, 11:35 PM
Well, today went ok until it started snowing, but that was later. Ground was very muddy on the big place but we got it 2/3 cleaned up. It was by far the worst property ever this year. I have about 2 tons of leaves sitting in the drive for pickup tomorrow. man, they were wet.