PDA

View Full Version : Quickbooks 2005 question

mtdman
12-28-2005, 04:42 PM
I am waiting for my registration to go through on the qb forums, so I thought i would ask this here in case anyone knows.

In the past with qb 99 I always started new company files each year. I did that to keep things within the year, and to prevent the company backups from getting too large. So each year I'd start a new company. I upgraded to 2005 last year and I signed up for credit card billing, billing solutions, and payroll with my company file for this year. If I start a new company file for 2006, is there a way to transfer those services to that company file? Currently those 3 services only work with the current company file.

Thanks.

sgallaher
12-28-2005, 05:15 PM
At the end of each year I archive my file for that year. That way all your accounts, balances, customers, and other info, etc gets transfered into the new years file.

Landscape25
12-28-2005, 05:24 PM
I just have Simple Start right now but starting a new company each year sounds easier than typing in the dates each time you want to see something in 2006. Are there any disadvantages? I hope my new company gets more business payup .

I was just thinking that you have to redo everything else too.

hoyboy
12-28-2005, 08:19 PM
Why would you start a new company each year? I don't understand that. Don't worry about the size of the file. It's miniscule, I'm sure. Even if it's not, just get a bigger hard drive...those are cheap these days. I'd suggest an online backup service as well.

Dan

hoyboy
12-28-2005, 08:20 PM
One more thing. If you have to put the dates in every time you want to see a report for the current year, then you probably haven't told quickbooks what your fiscal year end is. Do so, and it will make life a lot easier for you.

Dan

Landscape25
12-28-2005, 08:25 PM
I don't think the Simple Start is that advanced. It does say this fiscal year, year to date etc. in the drop down.

hoyboy
12-28-2005, 08:28 PM
You need to tell Quickbooks what date is your fiscal year end...it isn't always December 31. Mine isn't. So if you pick the "fiscal year" report without telling QB what that is...it won't give you a proper answer.

Dan

Landscape25
12-28-2005, 08:35 PM
I am just ending my fiscal year on Dec. 31st so I guess it does not need to be programmed. I started my business last year (Oct.) but I did not have the Quickbooks then so I just put everything for this year in the program.

hoyboy
12-28-2005, 08:35 PM
Go to the "Company" menu and look for "Company Information" then look for the "fiscal year begins" drop down menu and choose "January" if you have a December 31 year end.

Dan

Landscape25
12-28-2005, 08:39 PM
I looked. It was under file and fiscal and tax year are Jan.. Thanks. I still keep everything on paper too.

Landscape25
12-28-2005, 08:50 PM
The bank account and record cash expenses will always be together from year to year it seems.

hoyboy
12-28-2005, 08:53 PM
I'm using QB 2006...it may be a little different. same idea though.

Landscape25
12-28-2005, 08:55 PM
This is pretty basic but for now it works.

hoyboy
12-28-2005, 08:55 PM
The bank account and record cash expenses will always be together from year to year it seems.

Shouldn't need to start a separate company for that. Also, QB has some great year to year comparison reports that won't be available if different years are in different "companies"

Dan

Landscape25
12-28-2005, 08:57 PM
Yes, I think that would be helpful but I don't think this has that. I will have to do it manually if I want to. I can upgrade it when necessary.

6'7 330
12-28-2005, 09:03 PM
I don't understand either,way start a new company file? Also In QB, the data can be condensed and archived at the end of your fiscal year.

mtdman
12-28-2005, 11:24 PM
I couldn't archive or condense anything in qb99. THe company backup files would get too big for floppy discs. I like to back up to a disc, backing up to your hard drive isn't always the best idear. I don't think I could do yearly comparison reports in 99 either. It's not that hard to create a new company file, most of your lists are export/import-able. I just like to have a clean slate for each new year.

I'll have to look at the archive thing.

sgallaher
12-29-2005, 12:14 AM
Update to a newer version of QB. Buy a CD-R drive and then you can get 700MB on one disk.

6'7 330
12-29-2005, 12:46 AM
Mtdman

Are you backing up to floppies? We back to DVD and CD.

mtdman
12-29-2005, 12:52 AM
Update to a newer version of QB. Buy a CD-R drive and then you can get 700MB on one disk.

I've got 2005 now. Didn't you read my post?

Soupy
12-30-2005, 10:20 PM
I am waiting for my registration to go through on the qb forums, so I thought i would ask this here in case anyone knows.

In the past with qb 99 I always started new company files each year. I did that to keep things within the year, and to prevent the company backups from getting too large. So each year I'd start a new company. I upgraded to 2005 last year and I signed up for credit card billing, billing solutions, and payroll with my company file for this year. If I start a new company file for 2006, is there a way to transfer those services to that company file? Currently those 3 services only work with the current company file.

Thanks.

How do you like the billing solutions? How much do all three of those services run you each month? Which Payroll service do you have and how many employee's? Last but not least, how many credit card transaction do you average a month and for how much?

You can PM me if you don't want to share these figures on the forum.

TurfdudeNCSU
01-02-2006, 08:42 PM
That doesn't make that much since with a newer software to create a new company each year. I could understand if your floppy wasn't large enough, but these days you could burn to cd. We backup weekly to a USB memory stick. Works great, and we can look back and compair items and customers from last year without having to switch files.

mtdman
01-03-2006, 11:26 PM
I never thought of doing the flash drive thing. Good idear. I probably don't need to clear my memory with the new software and newer computer. I kinda like having the fresh start with a new year though. Although I see the advantage of having the comparison reports. I think archiving will do the trick for me.