PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone familiar with the cheap ATVs you see on ebay?

QualityLawnCare4u
12-28-2005, 08:35 PM
I have been looking at getting the twins a small (90cc) ATV. Went by Kaw. dealer today and walked in, salesperson was asleep in a chair in front of tv, never woke the whole time I was there. Nothing cheaper than 2400. Went to Honda dealer and as usual, arrogant sobs, nothing under 1900. Went to artic track, cool owner but nothing under 2100. I then went to ebay and these things are dirt cheap. Saw a 90 with AT tranny for 425 plus 200 shipping, saw a 150 cc with AT for 1129. I dont know squat about these Chinese made ones, some are kazuma, btm, red dog and many others. Has anyone ever bought one and how was your experience?

newz7151
12-28-2005, 09:33 PM
I have ran into people that have bought them from people that pull in somewhere with a trailer on a Saturday and sell em on the side of the road. Those and the little minibikes. The people I've run into though are the ones that got about a week use out of it before something happened to it.. and now they can't find the guy they bought it from.. or any other place that carries parts for them.. But hey, for $625, what do you expect to get?

lawnspecialties
12-28-2005, 09:39 PM
Not sure about the ones on Ebay, but my father bought an 80cc from BJ's a year ago. It looks very similar to the Suzuki LT80. Paid about $1000. He figured he'd have it around so my kids would want to go see old "Papa Daddy" more often. As my boys got better at riding and more aggressive, this thing started falling apart more and more.

I guess if your kids will use it to just putt around, might not be a bad idea. If they will ride it like I think they might, you might want to go ahead and spend the big bucks. Check traderonline.com and go to cycle trader. You'll probably find a better deal and a better dealer. Good Luck

Restrorob
12-28-2005, 09:59 PM
Just remember you get what you pay for, We have people bring them junk things in all the time and send them back down the road. Yes thats what they are, Hard to find parts for and no factory support that we have seen or heard of. You would be big money ahead if you found a used name brand unit instead. IMO

Dirty Water
12-29-2005, 01:37 AM
My little brother had a 90cc 2-stroke "E-TON"..

It broke down a lot in the few years he had it. His Honda 250cc has been rocksolid.

QualityLawnCare4u
12-29-2005, 02:12 AM
Thanks for the replies, thats what I figured. Also will a 4 stroke outlast a 2 and what are the pros and cons. Honda dealer only had the 2 stroke in the AT but said even though they dont last as long are cheaper to fix.

dfischer
12-29-2005, 04:39 AM
2 stroke is fine if you control who fuels it. Do keep a properly setup air filter on it.

go look at a small used polaris. best buy for beginners quads out there.

Restrorob
12-29-2005, 07:30 AM
I agree with dfischer, And another thing is kids are afraid of them at first and tend to go very slow thus loading the unit up and fouling the plug. So any brand you decide on if 2 cycle keep extra plugs on hand for a while.

Ideal Lwns & Landscp
12-29-2005, 11:15 AM
I also believe the cheap ones have a centrifugal clutch. NO REVERSE..I am not sure of the others

Signature Landscaping1
12-29-2005, 11:25 AM
Do not buy the cheap chinese atvs, a few buddies of mine had them because they looked good on ebay. there both broken now, hes had varoius problems with the engine, and the tranny, they dont run any more. If you want a nice 90 i would look at a Polaris Scrambler 90, or a Polaris Sportsman 90.

lawnsbyrj
12-29-2005, 11:10 PM
Those scare me I have 2 honda (full sized and had a 90 cc in 1985) i would lokk at Alpha sport tehy are good share loads of polaris parts and are cheaper.
http://www.alphasportsmotors.com/ my sales man left eth honda dealer to be a distrubitiion manager for them.

QualityLawnCare4u
12-30-2005, 02:13 AM
I went by the yamaha dealer today and he also carried the e-ton. I rode a 150 4 stroke that I was real impressed with and it was cheaper but not much. For the same price I could get a yamaha 125 but I will say the e-ton ran great. Dealer told me he had been selling them for a year and has had no problem getting parts for them but Im still scared of the chinese ones. I wanted one big enough to put daddys fat butt on too!:p

DaddyRabbit
12-30-2005, 10:13 AM
Just buy them this http://www.bombardier-atv.com/en-US/Vehicles/2006/Outlander.800/ :eek: J/K, this is one wicked ATV. It's on my wish list. We ride 4 wheelers on occasion and from personal experience if you buy one for dependability get the Honda. They are bullet proof. The flip side is Honda is SLOW, (which may be what you need at this point). One of the reasons they hold up so well is they are underpowered when compared to the big boys, I.e, Kawasaki Brute Force, Bombardier, etc, etc.