PDA

View Full Version : Good complete hedge clipper discussion

Envy Lawn Service
12-28-2005, 09:23 PM
Well, we talk about mowers and blowers and such all the time. But we don't talk about hedge clippers all that much really. I've done several searches over time and haven't really came up with any good in-depth discussion.

I find this odd because there are soooo many different options out there these days.

Now who really cares about the BRAND NAME. Sure it has to come up. But that's not what I'm after. Let's talk about styles, capabilities, features, durability, weight, balance, ease of use, vibration, and so forth as well as what various clippers are best suited to certain work.

So anybody game to talk?

kc2006
12-28-2005, 09:33 PM
From what I've seen majority always say go redmax/shind

I went with an echo. I don't do alot of shrub trimming, but when I do I get tired easy with the bigger heavy units. I wanted a commercial quality light trimmer. Shind only had a homeowner model that was light, their smallest commercial was pretty heavy and over 125 dollars more then the echo, that had a little to do with getting the echo also. So far after one year of use, I haven't had a problem with it, it balances well, the weight is very light. Only drawbacks, its pretty loud compaired to others i've used and the blades seem to be dull, I have to take it back over the winter here and have that tended to.

6'7 330
12-28-2005, 09:34 PM
The core of our hedge trimming is accomplished my using extended length trimmers,with a few chainsaw types thrown in for tight spots up against buildings.The extended length type,result in much less operator fatigue for the workers.And it is eaiser on their backs, without the constant bending down required for chainsaw type trimmers.

Envy Lawn Service
12-28-2005, 09:42 PM
kc2006,

Which Echo model?
150? 160? 180?

Envy Lawn Service
12-28-2005, 09:45 PM
Bill,

Extended huh? Do you do mostly big and tall hedge rows, ect?
Just curious.

Also, have you considered the short reach type at all?

http://www.echo-usa.com/images/products/shc-212sm.gif

Landscape25
12-28-2005, 09:54 PM
I got a Maruyama the other day. Any opinions? They are supposedly the lightest.

Green-Pro
12-28-2005, 09:55 PM
I have found the Echo HC150i to be very user friendly. I also have the articulating hedge trimmer attachment for a Echo PAS-260, it is handy but a bit tiring to use IMHO.

Roger
12-28-2005, 10:16 PM
I don't do very much hedge trimming, but use a 24" double reciprocating bar (brand does not matter), and an attachment on my string trimmer, zero-degree angle (22" double reciprocating bar). However, I wish I also had the extended reach model, like the string trimmer engine configuration, but with a 36" (?) tube. Such an addition would save me time and energy in moving ladders or planking. The long unit (string trimmer attachment) is too long, cumbersome and heavy for some situations, and the 24" bar unit is too short. I don't do enough work to justify the expense of yet one more piece of gear.

Therefore, my ideal lineup would be three units.

I don't have need of the chain saw attachment, or articulated unit.

Envy Lawn Service
12-28-2005, 10:21 PM
Roger,

Yeah, I understand what you are saying. I don't understand why they don't make a combo-clipper. Split shaft trimmer power source with the short reach attachment, and then some extension tubes or whatever.

6'7 330
12-28-2005, 10:35 PM
Bill,

Extended huh? Do you do mostly big and tall hedge rows, ect?
Just curious.

Also, have you considered the short reach type at all?

http://www.echo-usa.com/images/products/shc-212sm.gif
envy,
We trim all shapes and sizes,and have found two sizes of what I call extended ,takes care of the majority of our requirements.

Envy Lawn Service
12-28-2005, 10:57 PM
Thanks Bill,

Now see, the dealers here don't really keep one of everything. I also would have never even looked twice at the HL45. But now that I have, I've picked up on the fact that they offer 3 different HL shaft lenghts... 26" 42" and 59"

Great thread so far...

lawnboy dan
12-28-2005, 11:23 PM
i do tons of hedge and shrub trimming and have every type trimmer there is. best short (20 inch) is the shindawia home pro. ultra light and easy . i used to use echos for this length but the shin is so much better. best mid length(24-30) hands down its redmax! nothing else comes close in light weight and cut. to me this is the very best redmax product baring none-their that good. short extended trimmers-i use mauryama but just cause i havnt tried anyother. long extended -hands down its sthil! light weight for such a long unit and great cut. extended articulated- i have mauryama and shindawia. both are pretty = . echo is behind the others in quality of cut. you have to go over stuff several times to get everything. as you can see brand loyality means nothing to me -i pick the best product for the job.

kc2006
12-28-2005, 11:32 PM
Envy, I believe I have the 150i

I'm debating getting an extended reach this year, I'm not sure if I will though. I don't do much shrub trimming at all, but I might be changing this and taking more on, if so I will need an extended. For extended ones I've used shind's, they were older string trimmers with the articulating attachment only, but they worked very well. Never had a problem with them and they were easy to use, the handle was alittle awkward but thats because the handle was old and weak, so it would bend all over the place.

Doc Pete
12-29-2005, 12:17 AM
The core of our hedge trimming is accomplished my using extended length trimmers,with a few chainsaw types thrown in for tight spots up against buildings.The extended length type,result in much less operator fatigue for the workers.And it is eaiser on their backs, without the constant bending down required for chainsaw type trimmers.

My SHC 2100 will do almost everything. I have the split pole echo for the tall stuff, but the 2100 is by far the right size for 99.9% of any job. It can do ground level without bending and anything up to about 10 feet.

Envy Lawn Service
12-29-2005, 01:10 AM
My SHC 2100 will do almost everything. I have the split pole echo for the tall stuff, but the 2100 is by far the right size for 99.9% of any job. It can do ground level without bending and anything up to about 10 feet.

Hey Pete :waving:

Just making sure, but the current version would be the SHC210(?)
(21cc engine, 33" shaft, 20" blade)

I think the little pic I posted was for the SHC212... same deal but with a shorter 20" shaft.

Anyways... to everyone... this is just what I'm getting at. We have already brushed on a bunch of different stuff, yet we have barely scratched the surface of what is available to us today. Good subject I think.

Doc Pete
12-29-2005, 08:18 AM
Hey Pete :waving:

Just making sure, but the current version would be the SHC210(?)
(21cc engine, 33" shaft, 20" blade)

I think the little pic I posted was for the SHC212... same deal but with a shorter 20" shaft.

Anyways... to everyone... this is just what I'm getting at. We have already brushed on a bunch of different stuff, yet we have barely scratched the surface of what is available to us today. Good subject I think.

The size sounds about right. The smaller one (in size) affords nothing over the 2100 in tight spots and of course being smaller lacks in the reach department, too.
As I've mentioned the 2100 is good because the longer reach units, which I also have, are just a bit too big for all close in work. As far as the chainsaw type, they are sadly just a joke, when put up against the better (perfect) balanced extended reach (midsize) trimmers with their rear mounted motor, vastly better reach, less vibration and great visibility.

Lazer_Z
12-29-2005, 09:30 AM
Envy, If you don't mind I'd like to throw out a question.

Has anyone used the little wonder extended reach hedge trimmer?

As far as I go with hedge trimming I have to agree I'm not crazy about the chain saw types but, as bill said sometimes they are needed. I only have an attachment for my Stihl FC110 I like it but d@mn is that thing heavy. I guess I'd like it more if it's sole purpose was hedge trimming because the shaft would be shorter.

Good choice of topic Envy.

Rob

lawnboy dan
12-29-2005, 09:37 AM
i disagree-the small chainsaw type have their place. perfect for doing small ornimintal round shrubs that are very common here in the south. try trimming these with extended reach like in the pic above and you are working too hard. trimming shrubs is hard enough work with out making it harder on yourself by using the wrong tool

lawnboy dan
12-29-2005, 09:43 AM
little wonder makes the best cutting blades in the industry-however they do not mate them with the best motors and are usually very heavy. the older gas powered little wonders used echo engines. my gas little wonder trimmers are so heavy that i cant use them for very long and i have arms like popeye from decades of hedge trimming

6'7 330
12-29-2005, 02:04 PM
i disagree-the small chainsaw type have their place. perfect for doing small ornimintal round shrubs that are very common here in the south. try trimming these with extended reach like in the pic above and you are working too hard. trimming shrubs is hard enough work with out making it harder on yourself by using the wrong tool

Yes, for my company there is still a place for chainsaw type trimmers, the type bushes you stated, and in some tight spots they come in handy

Lux Lawn
12-29-2005, 02:32 PM
It looks to me like Doc Pete is getting the job done just fine in this picture without a lot of bending over and straining his back.We use both kinds of trimmers the long handle & the regular ones.I also noticed that Echo came out with a pair that kind of fits right in between the two.

3rd tractor generation
12-29-2005, 04:53 PM
We use the home owner stihl FS45 because its so much lighter then the commercial stihl trimmers. We also have a old echo 160, and the new extended stihl trimmer with the articulating head

lawnboy dan
12-29-2005, 08:24 PM
i agree the regular sthill hedge trimmers are too heavy . i hear tanaka makes good light trimmers but its one brand i dont have. i always try to get my hedge trimming jobs done early in the am -before it gets too hot. nothing tires me out faster than slinging around a heavy pair of gas powered trimmers. hedge and shrub trimming comes with the job here in fla. everything grows extremly fast and hedeges have to be done every other week at least! up in new england -we only had to tri m them 2x a year.

Envy Lawn Service
12-29-2005, 08:35 PM
Well, I see this thread has been relocated, but still it is doing well.

Envy Lawn Service
12-30-2005, 12:40 AM
Well, I see this thread has been relocated, but still it is doing well.

Well maybe I spoke too soon...

Anyways, I'm surprised no one has brought up the single side models yet.

Envy Lawn Service
12-31-2005, 02:49 AM
I have found the Echo HC150i to be very user friendly. I also have the articulating hedge trimmer attachment for a Echo PAS-260, it is handy but a bit tiring to use IMHO.

Since you have the PAS let me ask something.

Is one of the clipper attachments not short?
It may not be properly represented on their site, but it sure looks it here.

http://www.echo-usa.com/images/products/pashedgeclippersm.gif

But then again, even if it is, this might be null because it seems the PAS has the split shaft connection located farther down the shaft than the competition.

Microbe
12-31-2005, 08:58 AM
Before this thread gets to deep cause I know it will, one quick question about the terminology. "Chainsaw type," I have the echo Pas 260 I believe extended heldge trimmer with all the attachments basically, does "chainsaw type," mean just the power pruner attachment? The small chainsaw attachment? Just curious.
Also, lawnboydan this may be a complete newb question but I do a fairly decent amount of hedge trimming, what do you mean "cuts better?" I know this could turn into a huge "debate," type question, but for my own results just elaborate a bit more if you could with why the redmax cuts better compared to lets say the echo150 which is what I have. I think it does a fair job, but also never tried the redmax. I see most of the landscapers around me using just the redmax single blade edge, not the double, with a medal I guess shin or something you called it on the end. Why do landscapers swear on using that "shin" or something at the end of the redmax?

Landscape25
12-31-2005, 11:29 AM
Microbe, when I bought mine last week I got a leaf pan, I think that may be what you are talking about. It was explained that the leaves will drop into the hedge and of course will die and look bad. Apparently you do a swipe, this holds the leaves and then you dump the leaves in your garbage can. This hedge trimming is new to me so I don't really know how it will work out yet.

Green-Pro
12-31-2005, 11:37 AM

It may not be properly represented on their site, but it sure looks it here.

http://www.echo-usa.com/images/products/pashedgeclippersm.gif

But then again, even if it is, this might be null because it seems the PAS has the split shaft connection located farther down the shaft than the competition.

Envy without going to the shop and measuring to be sure I would guess it to beabout 5.75 - 6' when attached (to dang cold to run out to shop right now :waving: ) I have used it to trim tall hedges ( around 12' tall? ) The main reason I purchased was for the articulating ability, as I posted earlier it can be a tad unwieldly, but the ability to use on taller hedges and articulate the blades more than make up for that IMO. When something smaller is needed I use the HC150i.
Dang it now I'm curious and will have to go out to the shop and measure :p

Doc Pete
12-31-2005, 11:49 AM

located farther down the shaft than the competition.

I have the shc2100 and the PAS with trimmer, chainsaw and cultivator.
I believe the PAS trimmer is about 6.5' in total length. the trimmer part itself is the same size as the 2100, which seems just fine for everything I do.
Oh yeah, I may have cut the shaft a bit for the PAS trimmer (G).

Green-Pro
12-31-2005, 02:27 PM
I have the shc2100 and the PAS with trimmer, chainsaw and cultivator.
I believe the PAS trimmer is about 6.5' in total length. the trimmer part itself is the same size as the 2100, which seems just fine for everything I do.
Oh yeah, I may have cut the shaft a bit for the PAS trimmer (G).

Went out to shop & measured mine: The articulating trimmer attachment is 50" and the power head (PAS 260) is 40" or 7.5 feet total length.

Envy Lawn Service
12-31-2005, 02:55 PM
OK, thanks to everyone.

Pete, I appreciate the picture. It gives me a reference to go along with what I'm talking about. Pete, it appears to me that the split shaft connector on the PAS is between the two black handgrips on the shaft, right? With that said, if the 2100 above it is a 33" shaft, the PAS head unit has near that shaft length. High 20's in length atleast.

Now, in addition, looks like your PAS has the fixed clipper attachment on it, maybe the same one I was looking at. Again, that's what I was questioning... if maybe it was longer in real life than the picture online shows. Yada-Yada...

Now, if it were actually as short as shown here, it would still be longer than your 2100... but still way shorter than long-reach and still short enough to be very usefull all around.

http://www.echo-usa.com/images/products/pashedgeclipper.gif

Ideally, on the PAS, if Echo had an attachment with just enough shaft to plug in the split connector, you would have pretty much the same thing as your 2100, but with the option of doing other things with it. That would be nice. But maybe no one wants to do that so they can sell more units?

I don't know, but maybe I should call and have a talk with my contact at Stihl. If they would make the same thing for their shorter 110 Kombi System, man that would be an awesome unit and would feel good even with an articulator. They also have a 37" extension shaft for the Kombi tools... and ALL the gear head units interchange. A man could really have all sorts of endless combinations.

Doc Pete
01-01-2006, 01:00 PM
Now, in addition, looks like your PAS has the fixed clipper attachment on it, maybe the same one I was looking at. Again, that's what I was questioning... if maybe it was longer in real life than the picture online shows. Yada-Yada...

Now, if it were actually as short as shown here, it would still be longer than your 2100... but still way shorter than long-reach and still short enough to be very usefull all around.
Ideally, on the PAS, if Echo had an attachment with just enough shaft to plug in the split connector, you would have pretty much the same thing as your 2100, but with the option of doing other things with it. That would be nice. But maybe no one wants to do that so they can sell more units?

I believe I may have done basically what you are saying.
The PAS attachment is only about 1.5' longer than the standard 2100, which again is perfect for 99% of what I do.
I now remember cutting the long extension on the stock PAS trimmer, since it was just too long for anything but high hedges.
Frankly, if I had only one unit, the PAS, I'd cut it more to be the exact length of the 2100. The 2100 will everything the chainsaw type (the way you hold it) does, and anything up to about 8 feet, too.
From my pic, you can see different holding methods let you do practically anything and without bending or cramping.
Pete

Envy Lawn Service
01-12-2006, 02:19 AM
OK, I finally came across some additional information about that PAS fixed hedge clipper attachment I posted a pic of. It is also a 20" clipper and the info specifies that it 'provides 49" total length'.

At first I thought that might mean the attachment itself is 49" long. But after looking at it again, I have to question that. If the Hedger is 20" long, no way can the rest be 19" long. In addition, I'm thinking 49" can be ruled out as the overall length of the whole PAS and attachment.

So... my best guess is that it was maybe intended to mean the shaft lenght is 49" when connected to the PAS. If indeed this is the case, that would make this unit 16" longer than Pete's 2100.

The PAS is starting to peak my interest a bit and tempt me.

But I am still considering looking into learning more about chopping shafts.
Particularly a the Stihl split shaft since I already use other Stihl stuff.