PDA

View Full Version : What zt to buy?

John in NH
04-04-2001, 08:23 AM
I have about 3 1/2 acres of lawn to mow with some small hills and obstackles. I have been looking at the zero turn riders, and don't want to spend more than $5000.00. With the avalable dealers in the area, I have narowed it down to the 50" Simplicity, the 52" toro (new model) and the 54" cub cadet. Which mower is the best?

Mr.Ziffel
04-04-2001, 12:07 PM
What tastes best, an apple or an orange? Only you can tell yourself the answer to this. You need to look closely, test drive and talk to the dealer and decide what you prefer. I'd say it will come down to how you feel about your dealer support along with how the mower looks and feels to you. Make sure you actually drive and preferably cut with each mower. If you insist, your dealer should be able to find somewhere to cut--it makes a difference! In general from what I've read here, I'm assuming that the order of preference for most, as for me, would be Toro, Simplicity, Cub [MTD which is not highly thought of on this forum]. You're on the right track for a good mower by looking at the Z's - they will outperform a belly mount mower all day. Will

Catcher
04-04-2001, 12:56 PM
John,
I'd agree with Mr. Ziffel (well said) and would just like to add that there is always the possibility of picking up a good used unit from a commercial outfit. I also looked at the Toro, Simplicity etc., compared to the commercial units these things look like toys. Take a look at materials and craftsmanship, for example Toro features a (what I perceived as) flimsy stamped out mowerdeck whereas other brands offer a heavy gauge fabricated deck. Same goes for cooling units of hydraulic and motor units, size and location matter there.
Just take a good look at each prospective unit and note your likes/ dislikes.
Good Luck

summitgroundskeeping
04-04-2001, 05:40 PM
I hate Cub Cadets. I have just had bad experiences personally and so have everyone I know. But seriously, I think the Simplicity is your best bet of thoes choices, because I hate Cubs and Toros aren't as good as they used to be(toros were awsome a few years ago). I agree with Mr. Ziffel, only you can decide what is best for your application.

awm
04-22-2001, 10:36 PM
my vote would be the 52 toro.if you are willing to put 5 grand in it you really ought to look around a lot.
i think eric mentioned a dixie chopper for something in that range.

edward hedrick
04-22-2001, 11:06 PM
For the Home owner take a look at The Derby 54 Its the
combination of the IS 3000 by Ferris and the 54 Deck from
Simplicity. Simplicity owns Ferris. Very comfortable to ride
comes with 23 hp Kohler the Toro Time cuttr Z has a 17 hp
single the V twin put out more power. Find a used Scag sthm
is 60 " is easier to use on hills and around stuff. A good
used one should be around 4-5 K.

Deron
05-05-2001, 11:07 PM
The Cub Cadet commercial has added counterweights because it wasn't designed well enough and properly balanced. The dealer I spoke to indicated that this was an addition to the design in year 2. (the all yellow ones were year one, the black ones labeled "cub cadet commercial" are year 2) It concerned me enough that I decided to look elsewhere. If you read the commercial message board, they will tell you to stay far away from the Cub. Since I don't own a Cub Cadet commercial I can't say one way or another, but the guys who do it for a living are pretty much unanimous on this point.

trimmer
05-20-2001, 03:43 PM
TORO!

JMcGuire
05-21-2001, 01:03 PM
I love it, I am an Emark fan but they are just too expensive, know what I mean. It is swift cuts well, and I will probably buy a bagger when they come out. If you want a great ZTR is is a good mower to use, also the undercarriage spray works really well..

:blob3: :blob3:

curlawngreen
05-21-2001, 07:51 PM
Do a search on a guy named Doc. This was beat to death.

Dave
05-21-2001, 08:28 PM
Have you chk out the bobcat zt218,has a 18hp briggs ohv app 5500
same frame as the zt200 series but with smaller tires and the briggs instead of the kawi

MrFikit
07-13-2001, 01:47 PM
Check-out Toad on "New Machine Cub Cadet Commercail" and see what was written there. All positive responses.

TFL
08-02-2001, 12:24 AM
toro i hate cub cadet

crazygator
08-16-2001, 02:17 AM
Depending on your dealer, Toro is my choice here. Parts, service etc are better. But I have a great Toro dealer close too. Choose by the dealer and not the brand. Does the dealer offer you something you can use if you have a break down that they cannot fix asap? Might be nice to find out!