PDA

View Full Version : Software for business

esshaki
12-29-2005, 12:35 PM
does anyone use LawnPro http://www.lawnprosoftware.com/ , i was thinkign about using it this upcomming season it looks like the perfect program for billing customers. just really wanted to know what other users of this program thought. I mean for 54.00 u just cant go wrong right?

lawnmaniac883
12-29-2005, 12:40 PM
I think someone on LS tried it. Might try a search over there.

out4now
12-29-2005, 12:45 PM
I know someone on here has. Try a search. I found that guy's site from this board. Didn't go with his product though so sorry can't give you a review.

FordManKubotaDreamer
12-29-2005, 01:06 PM
I use lawn pro. It is much faster then righting the bills and estimates out by hand, and it keeps track of all you income, taxes, and customer addresses for you. I bought the envelopes with the window and all i do is drop the invoice in and can mail it. I think its like a beginners program, but it will do what you want it to, it just doesn't have all the bells and whistles. If you have any more questions or need more details let me know.

NEPSJay
12-29-2005, 01:57 PM
i use Quickbooks Premier 2006. Takes a little work to learn but what a powerhouse of a program.

esshaki
12-29-2005, 03:15 PM
sounds like it seems to be a fairly easy program , im only looking for something to keep track of customers, and how many cuts they get each month, im just tired of using excel for route sheets, and printing bills and labels with publisher. im probally gonna give lawn pro a shot and see how it works out i mean for 54.00 u just cant go wrong. thanks for the input

GlennZ
12-29-2005, 03:59 PM
Does it track how much time you spend on each job and how much you are making per customer? It may be a good short term solution but how about if you get bigger and want more. Then you will have to start all over again with another program.

Glenn
Clip Lawn Care

29 Palms Property Management
12-29-2005, 07:17 PM
E & K, I use LawnPro and I like it. It can be referred to as a starter program, but right now, it's all I need. It has alot of features that I like. It keeps track of customers and employees and equipment. Contracts, Estimates, Invoices, Invoice Payments, Expenses are a few of the topics it tracks as well. It even gives you numerous reports and a business summary. Oh, and it has all of the calculators you'll need, by the hour, by the square foot, fertilizer calculator and more. I think you'll like it. It covers the basics and a little more. And like you stated, you can't beat it for the money. Hope this helps! Let me know how you like it.

out4now
12-30-2005, 08:58 PM
sounds like it seems to be a fairly easy program , im only looking for something to keep track of customers, and how many cuts they get each month, im just tired of using excel for route sheets, and printing bills and labels with publisher. im probally gonna give lawn pro a shot and see how it works out i mean for 54.00 u just cant go wrong. thanks for the input
Give us a review of it if you do buy it.

Soupy
12-30-2005, 09:56 PM
You might want to download Gopher's free trial and play around with it. You might find it worth the extra money, especially as you grow.

QuickBooks Pro 2006 is one sweet program, but it does not do scheduling, or invoice generating. It does have some really nice features to it though and if one can afford it, Gopher and QuickBooks 5together is an awesome setup.

Jason Rose
12-30-2005, 10:56 PM
I have tried a couple invoicing programs. I don't really need to track my customers weekly and all that. I don't need graphs and profit and loss statements with it, I just wanted something that was easy to use and that I could adapt to what I needed. So far, everything I have tried has failed.

If it's not easy to operate and dosn't save time then I will continue to fight out doing them by hand every month.

I have never even looked at the Gopher program until tonight. I have not downloaded the free trial but I was going thru the demo and all the FAQ's. I have to say, I don't think I have ever seen a program with that many questions answered and problems you may have, already solved. The customer support looks to be awesome. It also looks to be as flexable as you need it to be and as complex or as simple as you want to make it.

The only question I am looking for an answer too is how a person adds random little jobs onto a customers monthly invoice without making a whole new job catagory with a set price to it for that customer. Maybe it's there, I just haven't spotted it...

Anyway, I just hate to see anyone waste $$ like I have a few times on programs that end up taking longer to operate and fight than just doing them with a pen and 3 part invioces.

Soupy
12-30-2005, 11:29 PM
I have tried a couple invoicing programs. I don't really need to track my customers weekly and all that. I don't need graphs and profit and loss statements with it, I just wanted something that was easy to use and that I could adapt to what I needed. So far, everything I have tried has failed.

If it's not easy to operate and dosn't save time then I will continue to fight out doing them by hand every month.

I have never even looked at the Gopher program until tonight. I have not downloaded the free trial but I was going thru the demo and all the FAQ's. I have to say, I don't think I have ever seen a program with that many questions answered and problems you may have, already solved. The customer support looks to be awesome. It also looks to be as flexable as you need it to be and as complex or as simple as you want to make it.

The only question I am looking for an answer too is how a person adds random little jobs onto a customers monthly invoice without making a whole new job catagory with a set price to it for that customer. Maybe it's there, I just haven't spotted it...

Anyway, I just hate to see anyone waste $$ like I have a few times on programs that end up taking longer to operate and fight than just doing them with a pen and 3 part invioces.

Create a service called Misc with no $ amount associated with it. When you create an invoice (in Gopher) you can add item. This will open a window and then you click the service tab and select Misc. Misc will appear in the service ID and then in the description you can enter any text you want. Only the description shows up on invoices. There is also a place to add service details, but you can leave this blank if you wish. Then below that you can charge by time, area, or just enter a sub total. Click Ok and you just created an invoice. You can add as many services as you want on each invoice.

The good thing about Gopher invoices over others like QuickBooks is you can add multiple service dates opposed to no date other then the invoice date. This is good when billing per service at the end of the month, but want to show what dates you actually performed that service.

The other plus with Gopher is you can add messages to each invoice. I like this because I will add notes about other services etc. It also allows you to add messages to the remittance stub, but most will allow this.

Note: services sold under misc will be track as such, which means if you charge all cuts under the same service you won't be able to track which ones bring in the most revenue like $35 cuts being 40% of gross sale, $55 cuts being 20% of gross sales etc. It will just show total revenue by misc and the % of gross sales. But you won't know if this was from fert, mowing, aeration, etc. That is why it is a good ideal to go ahead and create a service for each service income you provide. But it's not necessary if you don't care about tracking your profits.

Jason Rose
12-30-2005, 11:43 PM
you can add multiple service dates opposed to no date other then the invoice date. This is good when billing per service at the end of the month, but want to show what dates you actually performed that service.

That ^ was the exact problem I was having! It would take longer to enter the dates, 6-1, 6-8, 6-15, 6-22.... than anything. Most all of my customers want the dates on the invoice for each week I was there. Even though I service most of them weekly all the time... If I do skip a week due to drought I simply can leave that date off the invoice and there is no mistake. (it's amazing how many customers DO keep track! I have gotten a call or 3 on my dates before. " I know you didn't mow on **/** but it you have that date on here" Well oops... I actually just omitted the wrong date, still the same # of total cuts it was supposed to be for the month though.)

Which version do you have? I don't know that I NEED the $399 version, but I like the chemical app feature of it and I may want to track equipment maintenence too. Have you used the chemical feature? Is it user friendly too, and does all the info you can print with it comply with your states requirements?

Just had a thought... I guess you would have to still have a place on the paper invoice you could fill out at each stop for the wind speed, ect. It would have to be left at the time of service (the SOS). Is what the Gopher program used as the SOS?

Thanks for the help! I just want to simplify my life... 3 weeks of every month dreading doing invoices is giving me grey hairs, lol!

Soupy
12-31-2005, 12:50 AM
I have Gopher Pro. I sub out Chemical apps, so I don't use that feature.

It really isn't all that expensive when you figure it out over a few years time. It's worth the $100 a year (maybe less) to have simplified billing. Look at it as a piece of equipment that cuts down on time.

Actually it sounds like Gopher would do great for you. If you cut each customer on the same day each week, or have a set pattern like every 5, 6, 7days. You can set them up on the scheduler. Come in at the end of the day and mark all jobs for that day complete or postpone a few for next day. Then at the end of the month, click generate and print and your done.

Download the trial and play around with it. Imagine the program costing $10 and $300 for support, because the support is Priceless.

GlennZ
01-02-2006, 08:22 AM
Does Gopher track all the time spent on every job by employee and give you how many $'s per hour you are making by customer? The reason to buy software is to help you make money. One way is to save you time but more important is to see who you are working for free for and which employees make you the most money.

Soupy
01-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Does Gopher track all the time spent on every job by employee and give you how many $'s per hour you are making by customer? The reason to buy software is to help you make money. One way is to save you time but more important is to see who you are working for free for and which employees make you the most money.

No, You still need an accounting software. I use Quick Pro and it does do everything you asked. Gopher is a billing and schedule program. Gopher does contract and auto billing which QB does not do. It really simplifies invoicing because everything is generated from the scheduler, auto billing, and contract features.

I know there are other green industry software that also does accounting, but QuickBooks is used by most accountants. Gopher exports all invoices/payments into QB so it's makes a great companion software. Depending on which versions of each software you choose, both programs can be had for $600 (pro version's) or less. There also isn't a bunch of updates to keep buying which makes it very affordable compared to other more expensive solutions that charge extra for updates and support. Plus those other accounting programs are not recommended, or supported by most accountants, like QB is.

GlennZ
01-02-2006, 12:54 PM
So if it does not track the time spent on the jobs how do you know which customers and which of their jobs are profitable. I am in this to make lots of profit.

Soupy
01-02-2006, 02:07 PM
So if it does not track the time spent on the jobs how do you know which customers and which of their jobs are profitable. I am in this to make lots of profit.

You use a program like QB (compatible with Gopher) to keep track of all that. Gopher is a scheduling and billing program. You can't track time with a shovel either, but that doesn't mean you don't have a use for one. Quickbooks is what I use to manage my business, Gopher is a tool that simplifies the scheduling and billing portion of my business.

Gopher can bill each service by the hour, area, or flat rate. It does not provide detailed reports other then total revenue by service, contract, and merchandise. In those totals it will list each item and total revenue and % of gross profit generated by each.

GlennZ
01-02-2006, 03:35 PM
QB does not do this either. QB can tell me if I am making money or losing it, but if I am losing it where do I found out where? Why wouldn't you buy software that can track it all. Yes, it costs more money, but so does a commercial lawn mower. The Return on Investment is what counts. I can tell you every single customer and exactly how much I am making all at my finger tips. How are you going to rebid this year without this information?

Soupy
01-02-2006, 05:31 PM
QB does not do this either. QB can tell me if I am making money or losing it, but if I am losing it where do I found out where? Why wouldn't you buy software that can track it all. Yes, it costs more money, but so does a commercial lawn mower. The Return on Investment is what counts. I can tell you every single customer and exactly how much I am making all at my finger tips. How are you going to rebid this year without this information?

Maybe I am misunderstanding you, but QB does have time tracking and job costing (see attached screen shot of report menu). QB has a bunch of features that the average user probably doesn't know about. I'm still learning it and will never master it. Plus the extra services available makes the possibilities endless. Out of the box it does what you ask. Maybe an older version that you tried did not have that ability.

The reason Gopher is a nice add on is for the scheduler (one thing QB does not do) and invoicing. Even though QB does do invoicing it doesn't allow you to do invoice generating. It is possible to contract bill in QB but it isn't as flexible. In QB you have to create one invoice for a flat fee then memorizes it and check the to be printed tab. Then it creates an invoice for each month. But you can't change it, or have it customized for each month. For example you can put "Monthly maintenance for month of invoice date" in description were as Gopher automatically puts "Monthly maintenance for - December" by adding @@M after the description when setting up contract billing.

In Gopher you schedule your jobs, mark them complete and when ready generate invoice. When you generate invoice it includes all finished work from time of last invoice and your done. It also generates all contract, or auto billing jobs. Plus it allows you to add invoice messages (you know the little notes you get on your utility bills) which QB does not. Gopher just came out with a new Export tool which makes exporting to QB effortless. Best of all it includes dates of service which QB does not.

This flexibility to me was worth the added cost to use Gopher as an add on to QB, but if I had to choose one program over the other I would naturally have to choose QB. But tell me one program that can do everything these two can for under $600 with no prescription fee's for support or upgrades.

Like I said for extra fee's you can add service's to QB making it customizable. One cool feature is Billing Solutions for $14.95 a month. Customers can log in to a company tailored page hosted by QB and view account activity, and if you use QB merchant to except credit cards they can pay invoices too from this page. For .79¢ you can choose to have QB print and mail all your invoices which include professional long format invoices with return envelope. I don't use this feature, but if someone wanted to really cut back on time they could choose this option.

A nice free feature is, you can email invoices through QB which automatically generates invoices messages and includes a nice looking foot note about needing Acrobat reader and a link to download it.

Gopher has Lawnmail which is disabled and being reworked right now, that allows emailing, and customer login features like QB, but it isn't (wasn't) as nice (didn't have payment options and the ability for customers to update account, or email you with questions from the page), but it was free. I'm not sure what the future of lawnmail is and if it will cost. The old version was BETA and free.

By the way, what software are you proposing and what exactly can it do and what is the cost. The only thing I can't do now is full blown up-selling (I can use invoice message) with customer tailored price generation for each up-sell. I can't do Mapping, but have no use for it in my work area. Can your software give me everything I have now, but with up-selling at a reasonable cost. Does your software have thousands of accountants familiar with it so all they need is accountants copy to work off of. Don't forget Payroll and all features I haven't even scratched the surface of in QB.

walker-talker
01-03-2006, 05:20 AM
In Lawn Monkey you can enter what each piece of equipment cost to run per hour and then can enter how long that machine was put on any given property, along with what employees and their hourly wage (or put what that employee is costing you per hour with benefits). It will tell you your % of profit on each and every property on your daily schedule. I haven't experimented with these features much, but will this spring.

GlennZ
01-03-2006, 08:16 AM
I am not implying that Quick Books in not a capable program but like you said it is accounting, not a management tool. I need something that I can manage my whole company from for the day to day operations. I also send my billing to QB.

You are avoiding the point. My point is not to debate programs but if you are not getting the $ per hour for each customer you are running your company blind. It cost aprox $33 per hour to run a lawn maintenance company. That includes all equipment and overhead. If you don't know this number everyday how do you know if you are making profit everyday.

Nothing against qexpress but if it costs out each piece and employee based on true cost that can cause a problem. Meaning it may show you are making money but what happens if you send a more expensive employee or use different equipment, plus what about overhead and if it changes.

The easiest way is to take the averages. My goal is $40 per hour. So for every single hour my employees work I want $40. Now my break even is about $32 per hour and I am adding $8 for profit and fudge factor. Since gas and other expenses went up I will recalculate my break even and maybe my break even may go up to $33 so my new goal is now $41 per hour. I simply just raise the customers that are below the $41. So with out knowing their $'s per hour how could I do this?

This business can be very mathematical. Which means you can build in and make profit if you follow the numbers. There are too many companies out there working their butts off and not making the money they should be.

Soupy
01-03-2006, 10:47 AM
I'm sorry I thought we were talking about low priced invoice software. Then you asked if Gopher could track time and profit per customer. I then replied I use QB and it does. Then you said no, and I said yes :). I thought you were applying you had some secret software and didn't realize you were just changing the topic.

With averages, you still don't know what you are making per job because you don't know your cost per job. To know your true cost you have to break everything down and then apply each item to the job. For example you need to know how much each equipment (item) cost you per hour. Inventory is easy to keep track of because you know it's true cost. Even if the price of item changes your software (QB does) should calculate average price. Say you buy 10 apples at $1 and two weeks later buy 10 more but the price went up to $2. QB will calculate your average cost for 20 apples at $1.50. If you sold 5 of the first 10 apples before restocking at the higher price then your average cost for your current stock would be $1.67. You get the picture.

Employees are easy to factor (and not everyone has them). So lets get back to equipment, you can't get a true cost, but you can come close, or at least be conservative and come out a head. Take total cost by expected life time (be conservative) then factor in your 40 hour oil charges by dividing total expected hours by 40. You should know what 2 quarts of oil and a filter cost. Now take that cost and multiply it by the number of expected oil changes. Do this for each maintenance using the Manuel as a guide. Figure you fuel usage per hour (my 27hp/52 Z get 1.1 hours per gallon). You need to factor other things like resale if you typically operate large equipment during warranty period then buy new. If anyone wants I could go into more detail on this, but you get the general idea. You don't need a program to figure these items, but Gopher for example does estimate equipment cost and keep maintenance logs etc. Once you figure these cost it is easy to track them.

It's not hard to cover your cost and make an acceptable profit in the maintenance business (at least in my market with my routes). I don't do landscaping (sub it out) so I'm not sure how tight things can get bidding those types of jobs. Knowing your time is a big factor in knowing your cost. I don't know of any software that can give you this figure. Not counting landscaping, hedge trimming and cleanups are the hard ones. Most other jobs, like Apps, aeration, seeding are based on sq ft and not time.

I will be the first to admit I don't know my true cost (near impossible) but to get anywhere close to knowing profit per job (not service, but actual customer job) you have to micro manage your cost per item and apply them to each job. Not to get your price, but to get your cost and profit. I base my prices on competition (high end) and this allows me to have a comfortable profit margin with room for error.

If your applying your average cost per hour to run your business to all jobs then you are way off. Unless your only doing one service and calling that maintenance. Example: I consider Hedge trimming maintenance and it cost a lot less per hour then mowing and generates more profit.

This really is a good topic to discuss, but we should get back on original topic soon.

Soupy
01-03-2006, 11:11 AM
OH, I forgot an important detail. You do need to know your fixed expense such as insurance, licenses, etc. You also need your indirect expense such as advertising, office supplies, office labor etc. This will be a separate average cost per hour that you will add to all jobs. This is also the hardest expense to figure and need it's own thread for discussion.

OK i'm done, back on topic :dizzy:

GlennZ
01-03-2006, 11:13 AM
I do use a particular software but have not mentioned it. The reason why I moved away from the actual software discussion is that nobody wins. We can debate all day the merits of each others software. I rather point out things software should do for you in an easy and efficient manor. When someone is shopping for software they need to know what to look for. All the softwares do scheduling. But the question is what do they do beyond that and what do you need.

I am proposing that there is nothing more important to profit then time tracking.

I also agree the exact cost is not important per job. I do know that I need to make $40 per hour to make money (excluding parts). So if I charge the customer $27 to do his lawn I have .67 of an hour to drive there and do it if I want to make my goal of $40 per hour. So I need to know customer by customer how much time was actually spent. If I spent too much time why? Was it under bid, slow employees, to far away, etc.

Soupy
01-03-2006, 11:41 AM
I do use a particular software but have not mentioned it. The reason why I moved away from the actual software discussion is that nobody wins. We can debate all day the merits of each others software. I rather point out things software should do for you in an easy and efficient manor. When someone is shopping for software they need to know what to look for. All the softwares do scheduling. But the question is what do they do beyond that and what do you need.

I am proposing that there is nothing more important to profit then time tracking.

I also agree the exact cost is not important per job. I do know that I need to make $40 per hour to make money (excluding parts). So if I charge the customer $27 to do his lawn I have .67 of an hour to drive there and do it if I want to make my goal of $40 per hour. So I need to know customer by customer how much time was actually spent. If I spent too much time why? Was it under bid, slow employees, to far away, etc.

I agree. The only problem is we don't know what the person asking needs. We do know he wants a low priced invoice software.

You mentioned sending your billing to QB, so I am guessing you use QB. If so PM me the other software you use as well. I would like to know more. I'm always open for improvements. What I really want is a program that implements up-selling into their invoices. I know pest assistant from Realgreen systems does this, but it is $5k+ with prescription dues as well.

GlennZ
01-03-2006, 12:01 PM
The problem is that we all say we want low cost everything. No one goes shopping to say "I want to spend a lot". If you told someone outside of the industry you spent 5k+ on a mower they would laugh at you. But to us this is the norm, but then we turn around an do the same thing saying software costs to many $$$. It is just like when we go to sell a job to the customer, we sell the value and what they gets in return.

Anyway I use CLIP, but again I don't wish to get into a debate on which one is better. They all have there place and usefulness. Actually here are all the main players that I can think of.

CLIP
qexpress
Real Green
Slice
Gopher
Grounds Keeper
Win Tac
Service Works

Soupy
01-03-2006, 04:29 PM
I never would have debated you if you would have just mentioned CLip without baiting me. Clip looks like a good program, I looked into it real hard a couple years ago.

I agree that you should invest in good software (i even referred to it as a tool) But $5K+ for features I could do without right now is to much.

tiedeman
01-03-2006, 04:35 PM
I don't understand that. How can CLIP software charge that much. I looked at their demo before in the past, and I was not impressed with them. Where was the benefits of the cost of the program The most they should charge for a program like that is maybe $500 to $750.

GlennZ
01-03-2006, 05:32 PM
The purpose was not to bait you. The price you quoted for CLIP is not even close, more like $795. I am not here trying to debate programs and tell you everything CLIP can do. I am trying to share with people how to make more profit. Software is only one tool you can use. I have talked to thousands of landscapers. Some make money and some don't, some have 6 million dollar companies and some a lot less.

We all complain about our competition undercutting us. They don't know their numbers or they wouldn't be doing this. Hopefully my competition is reading this and realizes he needs to track what he is making on each customer so he will raise he prices or if I know my numbers I can undercut my competition and still make more money then he does.

Sorry to write and run but I am traveling for the next week to teach some companies how to make more money and have better systems so I will not be able to respond for a while.

Soupy
01-03-2006, 06:30 PM
I'm sorry my reference to $5k software was for the one I mentioned pest assistance (Realgreen). IMHO it is the best on the market for our industry but to expensive and geared toward larger companies. It does have one feature I desire badly though.

I never debated anything. I answered your questions. Yes Clip is more advanced then Gopher as an add-on program to QB. But for simple scheduling and invoicing you can't go wrong with Gopher. You do have me interested in checking out Clip's demo one more time.

If your wanting to share with people how to make more profit you should start a new thread. PM if you decide to further the topic in a new thread, because It is a good one and I would like to hear your advice on the subject.

I enjoyed chatting with you :drinkup:

ooo
01-04-2006, 12:36 AM
Ive been working on an Excel workbook. Im a small company so I didnt have $$$ for some of them programs, and the others were missing a few things. Im just learning Excel so there may be a few things you want to add (probably a few I do too). Enter your customer info in this workbook and assign each customer a unique ID #. I plan on doing my payroll, Invoicing, keep job history, and several other things with it. You can check it out and see if it helps you out any.

Its at:

http://www.ashleylandscaping.com/sample.xls

If anyone sees anything I might wish to add let me know, Im open to ideas

walker-talker
01-04-2006, 09:13 AM
It does have one feature I desire badly though.Just out of curiousity, what would that be?

Thanks
Matt

Soupy
01-04-2006, 03:34 PM
Just out of curiousity, what would that be?

Thanks
Matt

Up-selling! Not sure what they call it, but it allows you to up-sell on the invoice. For example you enter invoice adds that are tailored to each customer by price. Say you want to up-sell Grub Control. It enters an add on the invoice and a check box with price on the remittance stub.

Attached is a sample invoice up-selling Aeration. It doesn't have the price in this sample, they probably just didn't set that part up in the sample company. It would normally have a price though, and on the check box it would include the price next to it as well. this allows the customer to schedule up-sell while paying the invoice.

It's all about up-selling!!!!

AztlanLC
01-08-2006, 11:51 PM
Gopher is a program designed for small business, and way behind compare to other programs, the QB link is not worth it.
The customer support migh seem nice but the lack of real features and truly updates is awful, the company keeps releasing all this half baked programs, the palm and lawnmail is just proof of poor commiment to the program, promising updates long time overdue, it has being about 5 years since the last major one.
yet they continue wasting time in new ventures.

Jason Rose
01-09-2006, 12:10 AM
Gopher is a program designed for small business, and way behind compare to other programs, the QB link is not worth it.
The customer support migh seem nice but the lack of real features and truly updates is awful, the company keeps releasing all this half baked programs, the palm and lawnmail is just proof of poor commiment to the program, promising updates long time overdue, it has being about 5 years since the last major one.
yet they continue wasting time in new ventures.

So come out and say what you use! And feel free to tell about it's features and why they are better than others. We are all here to learn and find what's best. Just because Gopher, and Gopher users have responded to this thread dosn't mean you have to be secretive. It's an open forum, you won't get into trouble for having an opinion.

AztlanLC
01-17-2006, 10:56 PM
Well I can not comment on what I don't own, my comments were based on actually owning the program (gopher) and having to deal with it, my next move is to try QB contractors edition, clip or qbexpress

tiedeman
01-17-2006, 11:25 PM
I will give you my advice of what I have tried AztlanLC:

I have used QB Basic & QB PRO. I used Basic from like 1999, until December 2004 I used QB PRO for a little bit. What I love the best about QB is the reports feature. And also the merchant account and email capability. But it lacked the scheduling capabilities that I wanted. Another thing that I did not like about QB is that around 2003 or 2004 they forced me to upgrade in order to keep on accepting credit cards, which really made me mad.

But I really wanted a program more tailored towards my industry, so I gave Qxpress a try in early 2005 for about 20-30 days. It seemed like a great scheduling program, but for me I kept on having error problems, and things not working, it was a nightmare. I kept on having to download patches and what not, was not fun. I do admit that the customer and technical support at Qxpress was very good. They also refunded my money because I was not happy with the program which really meant a lot to me.

So finally I switched over to Gopher Pro in Feb-March of 2005. As you can see my signature line, I love the program. Two things that I do wish were in the program, is more reports and merchant account processing. But other than that, I love it to deathl

TURF DOCTOR
01-17-2006, 11:33 PM
We run this program it works well.

wmsbookkeeping
01-18-2006, 06:00 PM
Here is the way I use QuickBooks to invoice customers for my clients who bill the same customers each month: edit the invoice template rather than each separate invoice to show the month of service ... one or two changes rather than 40 or 50.
After I create an invoice, I go to the Edit tab and Memorize the invoice to automatically drop each month on a given day. Then each month before I print the invoices for the month, I edit the invoice template with the current month - I have the month and year on the invoices in two places. To do this, go to Lists, then Templates, choose the invoice you use, and then Edit Template.
With this method, you only have to change the dates on the invoice template and make no changes to the individual invoices.
If you need to change a billing amount for a given customer, just find that invoice, make the change, and memorize the invoice again. And you can always change, edit, or add to an invoice for one month, if you are doing a one time extra service. If you do not memorize the invoice after the change, the original invoice will drop the next month.
If I can answer any questions concerning QuickBooks, please email me and I will try to help.

AztlanLC
01-21-2006, 10:32 PM
Thanks tiedeman.
I use to love gopher as well, but my company needs have outgrown the program and gopher keeps releasing just patches to the program not real updates.
Yet they venture into new things which makes me upset since they keep promising a new release since 2003
the palm took them almost 4 years to develope and that product at this point is a joke.
then they launched lawnmail and after some companies got into they shut it down and still currently under development.
now they launched the web radio I believe its called, so instead of finishing one product at the time they keep trying new things and forgettin about all the people that have invested in the program taken the time to post ideas for the program.
I need to know where my company is making money, how many hours my employees spend on a job, which one is my most profitable customer, do my contracts in the same program, customize my invoices, etc.
And the QB integration, I keep saying is not a real link is just a work around, even with the new patch. you want me to mention all the flaws I found? what for they will not improve it many years from now.

Jason Rose
01-21-2006, 10:42 PM
Funny that this thread popped back up... I just downloaded my free trial of Gopher a couple nights ago. I'm still in a fog! You talk about how you have outgrown it, you must be BIG! I'm looking at it and am dizzied by all the things it does. Too much IMO. It looks sooo easy on their tutorials but actually doing it yourself is quite complex! I think that once a person gets all the relevant data punched in (which from a blank slate could take many hours) it will be easy, I hope...

As I try to enter a half dozen customers and all the info such as services and fertilizers and chemicals, I'm trying to run them thru as if time has passed so I can generate invoices automatically and add items as I need to ans so on. So far It's not cooperating, It dosn't seem to like being back dated and then adding services... That and I don't know what I'm doing yet.

walker-talker
01-22-2006, 12:26 AM
It dosn't seem to like being back dated and then adding services... That and I don't know what I'm doing yet.<<<<<<<<<<<lawn <monkey was the same way. After invoicing the client I had to go in and add the services from there. Maybe Gopher is the same.

AztlanLC
01-24-2006, 07:36 PM
Funny that this thread popped back up... I just downloaded my free trial of Gopher a couple nights ago. I'm still in a fog! You talk about how you have outgrown it, you must be BIG! I'm looking at it and am dizzied by all the things it does. Too much IMO. It looks sooo easy on their tutorials but actually doing it yourself is quite complex! I think that once a person gets all the relevant data punched in (which from a blank slate could take many hours) it will be easy, I hope...

Not at all, my company has under 100 maintence customers + landscaping,
But have realize that if I don't track time, income, expenses, customers, employees, profits, calls, etc.
I will never be able to grow, and gopher doesn't allow me to do it.

If you need help with the program feel free to pm.

Soupy
01-25-2006, 09:15 AM
Not at all, my company has under 100 maintence customers + landscaping,
But have realize that if I don't track time, income, expenses, customers, employees, profits, calls, etc.
I will never be able to grow, and gopher doesn't allow me to do it.

If you need help with the program feel free to pm.

Gopher is a scheduling and billing program. If someone asked for a good accounting program I would not suggest Gopher. Just like I wouldn't suggest buying a ZTR to someone looking for a trimmer.

AztlanLC
01-25-2006, 11:20 AM
all the information need it to track is within the program, other program do this already and that is the reason I keep saying gopher is way behind the competition, is a good program but if your needs are like mine this program is not for you.

elshauno
01-25-2006, 11:43 AM
I am demoing Lawnaccounts plus http://www.nocomplaintslawnservice.com/la.htm. its a simple program but it works and its pretty easy to figure out. You can have up to 20 accounts without buying it. And its only like 55 bux. Good starter software if you ask me. Just my 2 cents

Soupy
01-25-2006, 01:16 PM
all the information need it to track is within the program, other program do this already and that is the reason I keep saying gopher is way behind the competition, is a good program but if your needs are like mine this program is not for you.

I think we can agree that it's not the best, or worse available. Since you do have experience with Gopher, I'm curious to what program you decide to replace it with. Please PM me so I can take a look to see if the step up is something that may benefit my situations.

K.Carothers
01-25-2006, 04:13 PM
I am demoing Lawnaccounts plus http://www.nocomplaintslawnservice.com/la.htm. its a simple program but it works and its pretty easy to figure out. You can have up to 20 accounts without buying it. And its only like 55 bux. Good starter software if you ask me. Just my 2 cents

I looked at the site and couldn't find the free trial. How do I get the free trial?

Thanks,

kc

rgs
06-06-2007, 10:41 AM
check out lawn & Pest Assistant III - visit our website www.realgreen.com