PDA

View Full Version : Trimming bushes in winter

NaturalImpressionsLawnC
12-29-2005, 11:26 PM
It won't have any effect if I trim back some bushes during this time of year will it? I have a customer who is COMPLAINING NOW ( LOL) that some of her bushes purtrude into her walkway. Should I?

Green-Pro
12-29-2005, 11:48 PM
yep and add the its cold out here surcharge on the invoice as well. What type of bushes are they? Woody? Shouldn't be to much of a problem I would suspect.

Landscape25
12-29-2005, 11:57 PM
If you are going to do it, I would do it minimally. You might get a freeze and they will be really shocked I think.

Dreams To Designs
12-30-2005, 08:22 AM
Trimming at this time of year can be dangerous to the plant. If you must trim, keep the gas powered shears on the truck and break out the Felco pruners or loppers. You definitely don't want to shear all the tips of a shrub at this time of year, typically. Some well placed pruning cuts may give you the room on the walkway your client needs. What type of shrubs or trees are you dealing with?

Kirk

TURFLORD
12-30-2005, 08:46 AM
I would get bumped off the site before I could answer this properly. She wants to spend money, go get it. Maybe she's worried about snow load "blousing" the branches across the path. A viburnum can be hacked down to the ground. A taxis not as much. Some shearing can be done when it's above freezing and if the bush is not too densely sheared to begin with.

PurpHaze
12-30-2005, 09:45 AM
I would get bumped off the site before I could answer this properly.

LMFAO! I was thinking of the same thing. Those bushes can get a little wiry during the winter. :p

PSUturf
01-01-2006, 06:20 PM
Winter dormancy is an ideal time to prune plants if the plant is truly dormant (not actively growing, daily temps at or near freezing). Disease and insect pressure is low or not existent. It's easy to see the branching structure of deciduous plants. You won't get a flush of new growth after pruning. I don't know what your weather has been like. If temps have been near 50 than I would keep pruning to a minimum for fear of stimulating new growth.

TURFLORD
01-02-2006, 06:23 PM
LMFAO! I was thinking of the same thing. Those bushes can get a little wiry during the winter. :p
I'm not too sure what your laughing at Haze. I just meant that it would take too long to type in all the info and I'd probably get bumped for inactivity.:)

PurpHaze
01-03-2006, 09:26 AM
Ummmm... OK. :drinkup:

nocutting
01-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Ummmm... OK. :drinkup:
As long as temps are consistent, I cut back decidious as much as nessasary, tight compact evergreens are another story, [ but if they are takeing up the walk ways, I too would use my hand pruner and loper, ......also a Great Time for Ornamental Trees, I'm doing a hight reduction to alot of clump birchs [ takeing back bronze birch borer damage].....by the time late spring comes no-one will even know they were pruned.........:waving:

PurpHaze
01-04-2006, 08:47 AM
I find that soft trimmer line leaves the contours intact and accentuates them a little. :waving:

sheshovel
01-05-2006, 06:38 PM
Cut it out Purple your gonna confuse them.
If a customer is complaining NOW cut them back NOW regardless of the damage that may happen to the shrubs(Not bush in green talk).Simply tell her you will do so but they may get some cold damage by doing it this time of year.She is going to tell you to cut them any way because they brush against her and get her wet when she walks by.So do it

PurpHaze
01-05-2006, 10:03 PM
Cut it out Purple your gonna confuse them.

LOL. Anyone that would confuse bush with shrubs deserves it. Be nice now... or I'll sic my wife on you. :p

TURFLORD
01-06-2006, 09:21 AM
I think Haze has been smoking the shrubs instead of pruning them.:p

PurpHaze
01-06-2006, 09:25 AM
Had TKA last year. It's ONLY for medicinal purposes. :waving:

KurtisInIowa
01-06-2006, 11:53 PM
Something to watch too are shrubs that bloom on last seasons growth. If you prune too much you'll be preventing it from blooming in the spring. Lilacs are a good example. As long as I make the homeowner aware of that then I don't have a problem doing the work.

kurtis