PDA

View Full Version : Prolly going to sell my 95 F-450

Gravel Rat
12-30-2005, 04:34 AM
I have some one interested in my truck I have only had it for 5 months or so. I wouldn't mind selling it anyhow I may go back to a IDI truck the PSD is a frigging fuel pig or that truck is.

I was told the PSD powered F-Superduty trucks are hard on fuel but I didn't think it would be that bad. I have been doing allot of driving lately putting on about 220 kilometers (136 miles) every 3 days and its costing me anywhere from 40-50 dollars :cry:

I also found out something today that is bugging me and it confirmed something. I have thought I seen this truck I bought before I couldn't place it then I did a free VIN check it said auction sale. Bingo now I remember the truck was a tow truck some one took the tow body off and installed a flatdeck. I actually looked at the truck when it was at the auction it had engine problems it ran like a bag of crap so that is why a used engine was installed by the dealer I bought the truck from they said rebuilt its no rebuild.

The transmission in the truck isn't too long for this world either now that I realized this truck was a tow truck then its seen some abuse plus someone had the wrong oil in it so when the truck is in 5th gear doing highway speed the stick shakes back and forth. It does have a new single mass flywheel and clutch installed.

I do have my eye on another F-Superduty PSD ya I might be stupid to look at it but the truck has 55,000kms less than mine its a 97 it is a XL where as my 95 is a loaded XLT.

I still have my mind on a F-350 4x4 and I can run a 11' dumping flat I won't have the payload capacity but I'am not going to haul sand and gravel. I mostly use the truck to carry tools etc and haul trash.

One of my main question I know I have asked this before but would a F-350 see any better mileage with 4:10s the truck I have now has 4:63.

The 12 mpg is hard on the wallet its still better than a 460 gas 6 mpg. I thought the IDI was a little piggy on fuel the PSD is worse.

I think I may go for it and sell the truck I have someone nibbling at the bait might aswell sink the hook and seal the deal.

What do you guys think is a PSD F-350 going to do better in the mileage department ?

C&KLawnCare
12-30-2005, 10:37 PM
Diesel 12 mpg ?, What in heck are you doing running this thing flat to the floor all the time , My dad has a 92 ford 250, and we have pulled bobcats with it and on average it would do 15-17 MPG, But the moment you start running it real hard above 70 mph kiss the fuel good bye , 7.3 dsl is whats in his .

kc2006
12-31-2005, 12:31 AM
I've told you a couple times before, my 96 gets anywhere from 20-22mpg around town, lately I've been getting only 17-19, I think its because the truck gets much higher boost in the cold weather so it supplements fuel more.

4.10 vs 4.63 is going to be alot better on fuel too, alot less rpm's cruising.

Gravel Rat
12-31-2005, 04:25 AM
The one thing I would like to know if a truck with 4:10s will get any better mileage than my truck with 4:63s.

See the thing is if I do find a F-350 4x4 PSD and put a dump deck on it I would really hope I could keep the tare (empty) weight of the truck down around 7500lbs. It would give me a legal payload of 4500lbs but it also is so the truck won't be lugging around extra weight.

If I'am going to a 350 it has to be a 4x4 I want the benefits of a mono beam front axle and ground clearance plus having the extra traction.

The weather really isn't cold here the temperature ranges from 0 celcius to about 10 celcius or 32 to 50 degrees farenheit for some of you guys in the east thats probably tee shirts and shorts weather :laugh:

I filled up today it cost me 44 dollars in fuel so I'am burning about 11 dollars of fuel a day to travel 37 miles a day roughly.

captken
01-01-2006, 02:43 AM
I have a 2001 F350 PSD flatbed dually and am lucky to get 12mpg....you must convert kpg [kilometers]to mpg [miles]...Gravelrat...what is your mileage? I know the Loonie [canada funny money] is worth less than our dollar [US]. So the exchange rate is mute...I filled up today and it cost me $75.00 dollars [US]

Do the bars in YOUR Provence still have seperate entrances for Men and Women?

captken
01-01-2006, 02:58 AM
on one of these? Just for fun, kenny. What is your mileage, not your kilometerage...ha ha.....go here for REAL answers...www.dieselstop.com

Gravel Rat
01-01-2006, 03:26 AM
So for me to drive to work it costs me $ 9.43 US funds each day to drive my truck to work or another way to put it 15 US dollars per hour to operate my truck.

captken
01-01-2006, 03:29 AM
how much does diesel fuel cost in your area? Per gallon, not litre. What is your mileage? 15 dollars per hour? are you chipped and have overidden the speed limiter?lol....kenny How far can you go on 1 US gallon, not an Imperial gallon or litre?

Gravel Rat
01-01-2006, 05:13 AM
The fuel here is $ 3.33 dollars for 1 US gallon of diesel.

At 12 mpg and to travel 100 miles the truck would burn 27.75 dollars in fuel when the truck is loaded the mileage drops to about 10 mpg so that same 100 miles is $ 33.00 US dollars.

The engine is bone stock no chips etc and I always try keep my revs at 2000 or slightly above I rarely rev the engine higher than that. I try use OD as much as I can and use 4th gear to climb the hills using 3rd gear is only for the 10% grades 4th gear will pull the empty truck up the 6-8% grades aka easy hills.

I really hate to see what this truck is going to burn when I haul a 8000lb load ever since I bought the truck 4 months ago I have only hauled 3 heavy loads on it.