PDA

View Full Version : Transmission mount

85w/350
04-04-2001, 05:46 PM
I recently changed my tranny fluid and filter on both of my trucks my 82 and 85. When i got under my 85 I noticed the rear of the transmission sits on the crossmember and ontop of a mount...there were two empty holes that looked like they should have lined up with two other vacant spots on my transmission. Upon investigation of my other truck...I noticed that two bolts should tap into there...problem is on my truck is that the transmission seems to be moved forward about an inch and a half so even if i got replacements i would ahev to move my tranny back some towards the rear of the truck...problem i see is that the engine would need to slide back some too being that they are connected. I asked an uncle who knows his chevy's and he suspects either its a different transmission than stock or a newer crossmember with the wrong mount on it. He said the only danger I face is on a hard shift the transmission may jump up a little. I have been driving it this way as far as i know since i got the truck over a year ago with no problems...one u-joint which I now suspect may have shattered from a hard shift where the tranny may have jumped. Anyone have any other ideas of whats up with this situation and if its okay to be driving with my tranny like this?

04-04-2001, 06:41 PM
I would want to have that mount bolted in place if it was my truck - it was designed that way for a reason!

A couple of thoughts on the crossmember and hole alignment - is it possible to spin the crossmember 180 degrees and try it? Or will the hole pattern be in the same place regardless? Take a look down below & do some measuring first - it's just one idea. The other idea is, can you drill 2 new holes in the crossmember where it sits & get the bolts in that way?

85w/350
04-04-2001, 06:49 PM
Nope as far as drilling new crossmember mounts...the tranny holes are infront(going towards the front bumper) of the crossmember...rotating it wont do any good either...it blows my mind because my distributor cap is so close to the firewall as it is that if i had to move the engine back to line up the holes it more than likely would not be possible...only thing that I am aware of is that the engine was replaced around four months before I purchased it...i am pretty sure its the same tranny

04-04-2001, 06:56 PM
Any more info on the truck's history prior to you owning it? Something definitely sounds like it's been changed since new. I don't think moving the engine would be feasible even if the distributor wasn't by the firewall - because then the engine mount holes would be out!

I'm thinking the solution may be to determine your present engine/trans combo and get another crossmember that matches.

Sounds like what I'll have to figure out when I assemble the 4x4 frame I plan on putting under my '75 one of these years...........

85w/350
04-04-2001, 07:27 PM
Four Owners (including me)... obtained froma friend of the family
Orginal owner from Breyer's, TX (On red river North TX)
237,000miles
2WD
New engine 350...possibly new tranny
original gearing
1 wreck...mine...damage front quarter panel(fixed)
Thats about it...
Original paint

04-04-2001, 08:03 PM
OK - back on line now!

Which trans do you have now, and do you know which one the truck came with?

I'm thinking a good possibility is that the engine/trans got swapped as a unit and it's a different transmission than the original.

BTW - my grandmother, an aunt & cousins are in the Dallas/Ft Worth TX area!

85w/350
04-04-2001, 08:18 PM
Yeah it came with the TH350...and still has a TH350...if they got swaped as a unit its still the same tranny and the only diff would be a 350 instead of a 305...which shouldnt pull the tranny forward I'd think it would do the opposite if a 350 is any longer....I am not from that area its just where the truck is from and i have family up that way also ;)

04-04-2001, 08:29 PM
I'm starting to run out of ideas! The 305 & 350 are identical as far as outside dimensions of the block go, so that won't have any bearing on overall length.

Seems unlikely that the wrong crossmember would have been put in & left like that. Grasping at straws here, could the mount itself be the wrong one? (possibly compare between the 2 trucks again)

Other than that, I'm :confused: !