PDA

View Full Version : Seminar?

NightScenes
12-30-2005, 08:11 PM
I have been spending a lot of time answering emails and phone calls lately, from the many friends that I have had the pleasure to meet here at lawnsite.com. It is great that so many of you are interested in, not only designing and installing low voltage landscape lighting, but want to do it right!! I am just a contractor who has tried to raise the bar and pass on what I have learned. I have been thinking about possibly putting on a seminar for those of you who are interested. I have to say that I have never done this type of thing before and have no idea yet how to pull it off.

Since I am a contractor, and not a manufacturer or distributor, this seminar would be completely imapartial as to the products. I believe that I should ask several of them to attend, so you could see, feel and get to know their products and make your own decisions. I would also invite some distributors, because many of them stand behind many different products from several manufacturers, and they can be a wonderful resource for a contractor. I would also be interested in your input - what topics would you like to see addressed in a workshop-like setting?

Right now I am just putting this out there for you to ponder. I truly enjoy helping others learn this business and I think this would be something that has never been done. I am a contractor trying to help other contractors. I have seen many seminars put on by manufacturers or distributors, but never a contractor.

Please let me know what you think about this either here or email at paul@night-scapesbyprg.com or even call me at 325-423-0653. I would like to know how you, the other guys out there in the field, feel about this and would you be interested in attending something like this in central Texas.

Lawn Cops
01-01-2006, 07:29 AM
Paul,

Fisrt I think what you are offering is what this web site should be about. Professionals helping professionals.

Second. I live in Arkansas and would be very interested in a seminar put on by someone like you, not just someone representing their product line. I also feel that you could give a lot of information based on your experience that you do not give from the other "training " that most of us receive from the reps.

NightScenes
01-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Jim, Let's see what happens. Maybe I'll hear from a few more people. Of course I'm always available right here to answer any questions.

SONSCAPES
01-09-2006, 09:51 PM
paul,

to me that sounds like a great idea. my input would have to be for the seminar to be 2 days. 1st day classroom and 2nd day hands on maybe we all help do one of your installs while you teach kinda like the build a pond days aquascapes puts on. btw i did a design and install last month i am hooked. it was so rewarding to see those lights look beautiful afterracking my brain scared i was going to screw up. thanks!

NightScenes
01-10-2006, 09:01 AM
Sounds like a good idea. I am writing all of this down and then I can figure out what to do.

Keep the input coming!

SprinklerGuy
01-10-2006, 09:07 AM
Paul...I'd consider helping w/ this seminar....email me
sprinklersolutions at msn dot com
T

NightScenes
01-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Hello Tony,

Thank you for your inerest. I am just gathering information right now. Trying to see if there is some interest in a seminar.

Are you is the Scottsdale area? I will be there the sencond week of February.

Rrjp111
01-11-2006, 03:50 PM
Hi, Paul
I would like the idea of a seminar. I am in Louisiana and think this would be valuable add on to my growing business. I like the idea of designing and installing a lighting system. I would like to install one at my house to get a fill for it before I install on for a customer. A two day seminar with hands on would be the best. :cool:
Thank You
Robert

SprinklerGuy
01-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Not anymore Paul..sold my company.....I am exclusively in Colorado now....if you need anything while in Scottsdale, let me know....I can set you up. Work or golf?

NightScenes
01-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Work. I will be at the LVLIA certification and conference. I think I may be in Denver pretty soon as well. I'm still waiting to hear about that though.

SamIV
01-11-2006, 07:26 PM
First off, that's very good of you Paul, to offer such a service. I'm about all seminared out. Would like a marketing seminar though.

Robert if you are interested, you can come and work with me on my next install. I don't live far from you. I live in Houma, which is about an hour and a half south of you. How did you make out for the Hurricane.

SamIV
Accent Outdoor Lighting

NightScenes
01-11-2006, 07:31 PM
I know what you mean Sam, but you and I do this all the time. Marketing would be a good thing to put into the seminar.

Rrjp111
01-16-2006, 12:52 AM
Sam, That would be great just tell me when. I made out ok a few trees down in the back yard. They didn't hit anything so I say better than most.
Thanks, Robert

klkanders
01-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Hello Paul and all! Finally able to Post on here. This site was just what I was looking for. Paul I think you putting on a seminar down there would be a great idea. You certainly have the attitude to do it right. I know you have heard it before but I also appreciate all the time you spend on here. I have a background in Landscaping and now want to expand and get into the lighting end of it which was subed out before to anyone who inquired about it. I plan on going to some Seminars and have been researching it alot this winter. Not much else to do in the Dakota's during winter. I am sure I will have many questions to ask. Thanks again!

NightScenes
01-16-2006, 08:03 PM
Nice to see you klkanders. I'm glad to be of some service to those who would like to learn. Anything I can do, just let me know.

SamIV
01-17-2006, 10:04 PM
Rrjp111

I'll give you a PM in a couple of days to try to get a more certain date. Have been out of town. Going on another trip in two weeks. This is the time of year I take my trips, but we will line something up real soon.
How much notice do you need? I have a 25 - 30 fixture job which can be completed in one day.

Rrjp111
01-18-2006, 07:05 AM
A couple of days would be nice. That sound good just give me a pm when your ready.

NightScenes
01-18-2006, 02:09 PM
It appears that not enough people could travel here for a seminar. Dreams to Designs suggested to me that maybe we do a blog or something like that and make the whole thing happen online. I will see about setting that up. I'm pretty sure that I can do it on my web site.

Does that sound good to you guys?

klkanders
01-18-2006, 03:20 PM
Paul
You still have my interest. Keep us updated on this. Thanks!

DMAN
01-18-2006, 04:28 PM
That sounds good to me too. PM or post to keep me updated.

Thanks,

Darron

SamIV
01-28-2006, 09:43 AM
Check your PM. I sent you one the other day.

Sam IV

NightScenes
01-28-2006, 09:53 AM
I have added a chat room to my web site, on the contact us page. When I return from the LVLIA conference, I will set up a weekly chat for us all to get together.

Rrjp111
01-29-2006, 08:49 PM
sam, i will give you a call monday. I have my childrens birthdays on the weekend beforeand the weekend of the 18th. So if it's going to be something in the week I am all for it.
Thanks

Broker
01-30-2006, 06:33 AM
Paul,

It won't fit into my schedule until next off season (winter) but I would be willing to travel there so we could sit down and pick each others brain at the meeting going over every aspect from marketing, presentation, design, installation, warranty issues, service & service contracts.

Bob

allprogreens
02-02-2006, 06:53 PM
Here is a great way to get alot more exposure

Video tape your training class / seminar and post it online for everyone to view

We did this and it has been a HUGE training tool
We allowed a portion of the training class (The marketing section) to be viewed by Lawnsite members for FREE. In 45 days we have had over 1500 Lawnsite members view it.

We charge $299.00 for the complete Online Certification Training Class and have 3 to 5 contractors a day doing this. It's very cost effective for the contractor. Instead of him/her coming to our facility in GA, they can watch the exact same thing online at their convienence.

Check it out and you will see what I mean:
www.allprogreens.com/marketing

I hope this idea helps you to properly train contractors

Chris
All Pro Greens
Visit the "Contractor Section" of our website:
https://www.allprogreens.com/magazine/spring05-home.html

http://www.allprogreens.com/gallery/water/big025.jpg

scarr133
02-25-2006, 11:42 PM
Night,

Is there any way that you could provide some pics of installs in progress, if you would be willing to do so? I am interested in how you get the wiring from one side of the drive to the other. Thanks. Scott

NightScenes
02-26-2006, 08:28 AM
Night,

Is there any way that you could provide some pics of installs in progress, if you would be willing to do so? I am interested in how you get the wiring from one side of the drive to the other. Thanks. Scott

Scott, I will try to remember to take some photos of the next few installs.

As for getting under the driveways, in your area, I suggest getting someone to bore under it for you. From talking to people in the mid west, it seems that they hire guys (plumbers or irrigators) to do this for about $5 per foot. This is your best option. In my area (VERY ROCKY) I don't have anybody that will do this. What I sometimes have to do, if I can't find a chase, is to pop out an expansion joint, lay the line and re-install the joint.

NightScenes
03-11-2006, 09:12 PM
I am in the process of rebuilding my web site. I am trying to set up an area that I can issue a password and conduct an online seminar. I will try to keep everyone up to date.

scarr133
03-11-2006, 11:13 PM
We appreciate it Night. you do great work. We can all learn a lot from you.

NightScenes
03-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Thank you Scott. I'll be sure to clue you in when that site is up and running.
Have a great weekend.