PDA

View Full Version : getting landscape jobs

JTS Landscaping lawn
12-30-2005, 08:13 PM
i am looking to get into landscaping more i have been doing a few residentials here and there. wont to get into it more and get commercial jobs. i know about the landscaping and everything. wonted to know how i would go about getting more jobs. thanks

josh

The Cowboy
12-30-2005, 10:46 PM
Tell everyone you know. Thats how I did it. I didn't need to make too many cold calls. My friends and neighbors told their friends, and thats how it worked. I even get commercial references from friends too. It does work, maybe a bit slow at first, but it does work. Beat the bushes. For some people it took 2 or 3 times telling them.

Green-Pro
12-31-2005, 10:40 AM
i am looking to get into landscaping more i have been doing a few residentials here and there. wont to get into it more and get commercial jobs. i know about the landscaping and everything. wonted to know how i would go about getting more jobs. thanks

josh

JMO but I try and stay away from commercial jobs, profit margin is just not there. I make much more on residential jobs.

lawnspecialties
12-31-2005, 11:51 AM
When you're at your residential accounts, pay attention to areas you think could benefit with landscaping. Natural areas, new shrub row, etc. Get some books on landscaping ideas at Lowe's or something and come up with some suggestions. Your local nursery is usually happy to offer ideas, too. Then when you're talking with these clients in the yard one day, just sort of drop these ideas on them. Nothing too big though. When you're done and it looks "so pretty", they'll be open to more ideas or may even come up with some of their own. Neighbors will see it, too.

I'm a firefighter so I do lawn care on my own in my off days. My best landscaping so far happened this way. First I installed 80 holly trees with mulch and other misc. stuff (three days): over $7000. Later that year I installed 47 encore azaleas and two small walls with other little misc. stuff: almost $5000. Just the other day did some light clearing in some woods and natural area (about six hours with chainsaw and tractor): $400. He told me this week he wants me to put more azaleas in this cleared out area this Spring. This is all from a $140.00 per month residential customer! Obviously this doesn't happen every day, so be prepared to "seize the opportunity" when it comes along your way.

Other ideas:
1:Get some landscaping ideas by looking at other company's work.
2: When doing large jobs (like the 80 holly trees), check into a local "day labor" source. Their people are used to laborious work and are almost always worker's comp insured.
3: If you don't have the right equipment for the job, rent.

sheshovel
12-31-2005, 01:26 PM
That depends on if your talking about
"Real landscaping"or "lawn-man landscaping"

Lawnworks
12-31-2005, 03:45 PM
That depends on if your talking about
"Real landscaping"or "lawn-man landscaping"

:dizzy: Please tell us goddess of the landscape universe... please tell us how to landscape according to your spec!!! lol