PDA

View Full Version : Need to replace the oil pan gasket on 1999 f-350 SD

Pilgrims' Pride
12-31-2005, 09:40 AM
My mechanic broke the news to me.
He says that they need to pull or at least raise the engine to replace the gasket.
He says I don't want to scare you but this is a big job and I cant do it because I cant lift your truck.
Ant ideas what it may cost?
Any easier way?

irishgoldcleanups
12-31-2005, 09:57 AM
here in new york it would be around 400-500 dollars. are you mecanically inclined??

Pilgrims' Pride
12-31-2005, 10:35 AM
Ya I'm inclined to screw it up!

Jpocket
12-31-2005, 02:40 PM
You have to raise the motor to take down the oil pan??? this may be right, but doesn't sound right to me.

Dirty Water
12-31-2005, 02:54 PM
You have to raise the motor to take down the oil pan??? this may be right, but doesn't sound right to me.

Its usually either this or removing the exhaust and some crossmember bracing on most modern vehicles.

Gravel Rat
12-31-2005, 03:29 PM
Are you sure its a pan gasket I would take it for a second opinion you may have a leaky valve cover gasket that is letting oil run down the engine looks like the pan gasket is leaking.

I didn't see if this was a gas pot or a diesel if its a diesel then the turbo has to be removed to tilt the engine up high enough to drop the pan out. I would take it to a place that is reputable as it maybe a job where they have to pull the engine to get the pan off. You don't want to tempt it yourself and find out oh crap the engine has to come out and you don't have the means to do it.

Usually with the engine out you do the other stuff to the truck like the clutch etc.

Dirty Water
12-31-2005, 03:57 PM
Usually with the engine out you do the other stuff to the truck like the clutch etc.

I've had good luck with just removing the exhaust, unbolting the mounts and hoisting the engine and transmission together up on some vehicles.

Then you don't have to seperate the two.

wriken
12-31-2005, 04:29 PM
did they put dye in the oil, and see it for sure its the oil pan gasket? My bother had a older 92 gasser, they had to lift the motor alittle bit to change the gasket.

Pilgrims' Pride
12-31-2005, 04:48 PM
did they put dye in the oil, and see it for sure its the oil pan gasket? My bother had a older 92 gasser, they had to lift the motor alittle bit to change the gasket.

I'm no mechanic.
Please explain

sheshovel
12-31-2005, 05:47 PM
If you have a mechanic,that has no way to lift your truck up nor has an engine hoist to raise the engine
regardless of what it needs raised up for then lemmie tell ya right now
You need a real mechanic.Loose this one!

Gilla Gorilla
12-31-2005, 06:40 PM
I am almost 100% sure that you have to pull that engine to replace the oil pan gasket but more than likely it is not leaking from that low on the engine. Here is a article that I found online real quick and the link to it.

Engine oil leak. Some 1998-2003 Econolines, 1999-2003 F-series Super Duty pickups and 2000-03 Excursions-all with the mammoth 7.3L Navistar diesel-may leak oil from the rear of the engine. On first glance, the leak may appear to be emanating from the rear main seal or oil pan gasket. In reality, though, it may he coming from the high-pressure oil pumps discharge fittings and/or end plug.

Ford says the confusion is because of the positioning of the drain plug machined into the crankcase valley, which allows any excess oil in the valley to run down the hack of the engine. A trace dye and a good UV or UV/Blue inspection lamp should help make the diagnosis a breeze.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3828/is_200411/ai_n9469465

I would suggest finding out which Ford dealer in you area sells and services a high volume of the diesels and then let them take a look at it and repair what needs to be done.

Dirty Water
12-31-2005, 07:06 PM
If you have a mechanic,that has no way to lift your truck up nor has an engine hoist to raise the engine

Shovel, you have any idea how much a 1-ton diesal truck weighs?

This mechanic probably only has a two post lift, theres no way it would pick it up.

xcopterdoc
12-31-2005, 07:25 PM
What he's really telling you is that its a major pain in the ass and why dont ya take it somewhere else cuz I dont wanna fool with it. Which is fine... just cuz you own a repair shop doesnt mean you HAVE to work on everything that comes thru the door. Have a TRUCK shop look at it and see what they say. Have them write up an estimate and go from there.

wriken
12-31-2005, 07:51 PM
I'm no mechanic.
Please explain
They can put a dye in the oil, then use a black light to see where the leak originated at.

sheshovel
12-31-2005, 08:33 PM
Exactly what I ment..Ya know Jon:rolleyes:
a diesel mechanic,
ya know large truck mechanic ,A shop that can handle his type of truck...

Dirty Water
12-31-2005, 10:05 PM
Exactly what I ment..Ya know Jon:rolleyes:
a diesel mechanic,
ya know large truck mechanic ,A shop that can handle his type of truck...

You made it out to sound like he is a incompetent mechanic, which while he may be, is entirely presumption based upon what size lift he has.

captken
01-01-2006, 01:34 AM

I have a mechanic that works on my F350 flatbed dually. The lifts at his professional transmission shop absolutely GROAN! when lifting my truck. I CRINGE watching it....My brother owns a Toyota dealership and owns a F350 that cannot be lifted at the dealership to do oil changes....

These things weigh up wards of 7500 lbs...

Post your question here, after you register.... www.dieselstop.com The de-facto standard website for questions and answers to Powerstroke Diesel trucks...

and do not put dye in your oil...it's too black to see it!....lol..lol...kenny

I can guarantee that you will get the answer you are looking for.

wriken
01-01-2006, 03:04 AM
I have a mechanic that works on my F350 flatbed dually. The lifts at his professional transmission shop absolutely GROAN! when lifting my truck. I CRINGE watching it....My brother owns a Toyota dealership and owns a F350 that cannot be lifted at the dealership to do oil changes....

These things weigh up wards of 7500 lbs...

Post your question here, after you register.... www.dieselstop.com The de-facto standard website for questions and answers to Powerstroke Diesel trucks...

and do not put dye in your oil...it's too black to see it!....lol..lol...kenny

I can guarantee that you will get the answer you are looking for.
The dye proccess, was how they found I had a leaking head gasket on my 02 F-250 P/S

Boycea
01-01-2006, 03:14 AM
My mechanic broke the news to me.
He says that they need to pull or at least raise the engine to replace the gasket.
He says I don't want to scare you but this is a big job and I cant do it because I cant lift your truck.
Ant ideas what it may cost?
Any easier way?

If they do in fact have to jack the engine to replace the gasket then have them replace the oil pan at the same time, it will only run you an extra $120 or so. The reason I say this is because oil pans on fords are prone to rusting out especially since you are in Massachusetts and it is getting covered in salt for four months out of the year. They have to jack the engine to replace the pan so since their already in their for the gasket then you might as well have them replace the pan. I dont know with your year ford but I have a 1997 powerstroke and they had to jack the engine to replace the pan.

Gravel Rat
01-01-2006, 03:41 AM
Another thing to consider some shops don't have the head room to lift a fullsize P/U truck up.

The tire shop I deal with uses 4 post lifts and they hedge on putting my F-450 on it as I weigh 8400lbs empty.

Most shops would probably put the truck on frame stands then take the hood off the truck so a engine hoist can be used to lift the engine high enough to get the pan off. There is no real spot to jack the engine up that won't be in the way its easier to lift the engine from the top.

A good diesel shop can do the job the dealer could do it too but you may have to re mortgage the house thou :cry:

irishgoldcleanups
01-01-2006, 08:43 AM
if you have a double sump pan just jacking it up wont be enough you will have to pull the motor. i am a class b certified diesel mechanic

lwcmattlifter
01-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Your mechanic is right you do have to remove the engine. The most important part of this process is making sure the mating surfaces are clean when the pan is reinstalled. The best way to do this is to have the engine upside down so oil can't drip over the oil pan sealing surface. Make sure you use the specified sealant not regular RTV otherwise it will leak.

Canon Landscaping
01-01-2006, 11:10 PM
I am in the process of changing the oil pan and rear main seals on my 87 f350 6.9 diesel it is a job I jacked the motor up It is very tight I would just keep putting oil in it I wish I didn't start tearing into it.