PDA

View Full Version : where to buy supplies

stevesmowing
12-31-2005, 05:58 PM
I am curious if there are any online sites that have good prices for landscape fabric and anchor pins. also what licensing is required in NYS to put down preen on top of the mulch?

PSUturf
01-01-2006, 05:30 PM
You need a NY pesticide applicator's license to apply Preen. It's been 12 years since I was licensed in NY but I think the category was Turf & Ornamentals. Central Landscape Supply in St Cloud, MN carries fabric and pins. I think I paid about $35 for a box of pins. Why not shop at Keenan's Edgewood Nursery in Walworth or Northern Nurseries in Fairport?

LLandscaping
01-01-2006, 05:58 PM
I would not recommend using fabric because it is expensive, weeds come threw the fabric because it rots. Also it is hard to work with when adding and removing plants because holes must be cut. I think it you use a thick layer of mulch or pine straw there will be few weeds and it will add nutrients and hold moisture.

stevesmowing
01-01-2006, 06:35 PM
I try not to use fabric but some flower beds are so overgrown I fear if I don't.

tiedeman
01-03-2006, 09:08 PM
more and more people are moving away from fabric I feel. They want something they can dig into without having to worry about cutting the fabric.

I have done many landscaping renovations in the past where the fabric, was the main cause for so much weeds

drsogr
01-03-2006, 09:43 PM
more and more people are moving away from fabric I feel. They want something they can dig into without having to worry about cutting the fabric.

I have done many landscaping renovations in the past where the fabric, was the main cause for so much weeds

How do you convince someone that has used fabric in the past, that it is not good to use it? Nowadays alot of homeowners live in their house less than 5 years, they have never really had much of a chance to see the downfalls of the fabric. I would love to get away from fabric, but so many people still believe that it should be used.

tiedeman
01-03-2006, 09:46 PM
Well, when I am doing renovation I show homeowners the amount of weed infestion on the fabric. I tell them, sure it might be good for 5 years, but after that, you will have to ripped everything up all over again.