PDA

View Full Version : remove green netting?

kalyeah
12-31-2005, 11:34 PM
I picked up a new customer near the end of the season. Her back yard has green netting layed down. I suppose this was for some kind of erosion control. I know the last company seeded last spring. Can't tell why any erosion control was needed. Lawn came in so so. Not great though. My question is.......do I just pull this netting up by hand? Covers the entire back lawn. Not very big area though. Maybe a 1000-1500 sq foot area. Thanks in advance.

out4now
12-31-2005, 11:40 PM
By netting I'm wondering if you're refing to a weed mat? Did she just have a new lawn installed over one? How deep is the dirt over it? It may be there for a reason. The only time I have seen an entire yard done with it was for weed control in desert lawns. It may be a differnt material than what I am thinking of though. Can you post a close up pic of it?

Pecker
12-31-2005, 11:55 PM
Definately ask the homeowner what the net is there for. Last thing you want is to be responsible for something like an erosion problem - which could get very expensive.

captken
01-01-2006, 12:00 AM
I use that type matting in my work, brand name futura... It is used for erosion control, for seeding on a hill side. Holds everything in place. It is attached to the ground with staples. We also use it seeding because it retains water [like a sponge], the wood pulp [which is under the netting] soaks up water and triples in thickness and it doubles the seed germination rate because of the water retention, so we sometimes use it on flat ground.
Leave it in place. It should be bio-degradable. Leave it alone and just mow over it.

kalyeah
01-01-2006, 12:10 AM
Thanks, I thought that it might break down over time but wasn't sure. This is a very flat backyard. Any input why it would be used on a flat surface? I just can't see erosion being a problem.

captken
01-01-2006, 12:15 AM
Thanks, I thought that it might break down over time but wasn't sure. This is a very flat backyard. Any input why it would be used on a flat surface? I just can't see erosion being a problem.

Glad to help.

wherebluegrassgrows
01-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Yeah sure it will breakdown I fought with this crap all over the ville last year. Trust me you'll want to get that stuff up before you start mowing it's not the easiest thing to remove from blade spindles. The only thing its good for is holding straw in place and I'd be willing to bet you can thank M.S.D. or someone who didn't know better for putting it there. And if M.S.D. is the culprit then you'll probably need to reseed in the spring anyway. They use some junk seed that makes pasture grass look like award winning turf.
just my 2 cents

Five Diamond Lawns
01-05-2006, 05:17 PM
It was probably originally planted with sod. If so you won't get it up without pulling the entire lawn up.

sheshovel
01-05-2006, 05:30 PM
I agree with the above..sounds like sod netting

fcl01
01-05-2006, 07:16 PM
i've used erosion netting quite a bit for hillsides and such. it's usually pretty brittle by the time the lawn is ready to be mowed. if it was laid right, your blades should not even touch it. unless you're mowing real low. if you do catch some in the blades, it usually chops it up and spits it out. i've never had to unwind it off the spindles. not saying it dosnt happen but i've never had a problem.

east sooke man
01-05-2006, 11:44 PM
If the yard is flat my guess would be turf netting as well. It usually is in the top 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the surface and if the turf job failed in any areas the netting will be exposed. It will get in your mower unless you remove it, perhaps the last person tried to cover it over by reseeding, not the best way to fix it. If it is a small area take some hand shears (sharp) and cut any of the exposed netting off, don't try to pull it up or you will be in for a repair job on the lawn.

kalyeah
01-06-2006, 01:16 AM
ok, found out it was sodded last year in the spring. It covers a pretty good area. Pretty much the entire back yard. I was just wondering for the future. Definately don't want it tangeled up in my mower. Then there's aeration, slit seeding...etc.. Won't be able to do anything like that back there as long as that net is down.

baddboygeorge
01-17-2006, 02:40 PM
sounds like they used it to hold straw down if thats so, tear it up . i use it alot to hold a hill side but i put the netting straight on top of the soil so the grass grows thru the net it works well for erosion an run off . if you need any other help let me know thanks george

Critical Care
01-19-2006, 07:01 PM
This netting is used to hold sod together, and allows you to handle sod rolls. My question would be why are you seeing this? What happened to the sod?

Sometimes when a lawn dies because of lack of irrigation, or because of disease, this netting will be exposed. If this is the case, then you probably need to bring in some topsoil or compost and reseed these areas, and you can do it right over the netting. This netting doesn’t interfere with aeration, and shouldn’t with mowing or dethatching under normal conditions, which is when there is turf on it.

Just remember… green side up when laying sod!

Critical Care
01-19-2006, 07:08 PM
Does the netting look like this?

sheshovel
01-19-2006, 09:20 PM
Critical Care is correct,if the lawn was sodded this last spring,yhere is no reason you should be seeing that sod netting unless the sod was unsatisfactory,thin and not tightly grown.Inferior sod is my diagnosis.That lawn should be thick and green and beutifull by now unless those customers got ripped off by the guy who installed bad sod.IMO

baddboygeorge
01-20-2006, 09:07 AM
that netting can be used for different applications as well as other than holding sod together. here in kentucky we use it alot to hold straw on embankments so seed will germinate.

kalyeah
01-20-2006, 09:43 AM
yeah, the sod is didn't take in some areas. From the sound of things she wasn't too happy with the work they did for her. That's exactly what the netting looks like. So, it won't hurt to just aerate over top of the netting? I figured it would get wrapped up in the aerater.

lilmarvin4064
01-20-2006, 11:49 AM
That stuff is a real pain if you have to aerate the lawn. It gets all tangled up in the aerator. Been there, done that, hate it!

officeguy
01-25-2006, 05:05 PM
I have built two houses and both had this mesh material on the under side of the sod that was put down.

Critical Care
01-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Again, under normal circumstances, the netting shouldn't interfere with any work that you do, but of course normal conditions would be with sod laying on top. If this stuff is laying around exposed, then you could probably go around with a sharp knife, or half-moon, and remove it. And, by the way, put in a bid to reseed or sod these bad areas.

Stupid worms don't do a very good job of digesting this netting, do they?

kalyeah
01-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Yes, we've already discussed seeding a couple areas. The lco that did laid the sod in the spring. She said they kept telling her that it would bounce back after the summer. She picked me up in the fall. She had other issues with them. It was really getting too late to do anything about it because of the weather.